Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 16 Sep 2015 (Wednesday) 14:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

SSD & MacBook Question

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,942 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Sep 16, 2015 14:41 |  #1

I have a 2010 MacBook (2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb Ram 250gb HDD) and am going to attempt updates before I call it quits and just buy a newer MacBook.

My question is this...It's older technology so does it really matter what SSD I get? There are slower, less expensive SSD's out there, for example: http://www.amazon.com ...itle_3&smid=ATVPDKI​KX0DER (external link)

My thought is that it doesn't matter which SSD I get, because I will be limited by the hardware speed of the laptop, is that right?

I just read that my specific model of MacBook (7,1) was tested by OWC and accepts 16gb of RAM, so I'm putting in the 16gb of Ram and an SSD to see if that makes a big difference..

Gear
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Sep 16, 2015 14:56 |  #2

An SSD is the best upgrade you can do. You may need TRIM Enabler. But the latest Yosemite now finally supports it via the command line.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

wunhang
650 posts
Joined Nov 2009
SoCal
Sep 16, 2015 15:01 |  #3

SSD's speed bottlenecks are the SSD controller and the motherboard's SATA bus speed. But no matter what controller it is attached to, the SSD will be a noticeable performance upgrade over platter seek/read.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

m.eo.w
82 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Sep 16, 2015 16:17 |  #4

Most of the responsiveness you notice will be due to drastically lower random access times...not so much max sustained r/w unless you move huge files frequently.
Lower end ssds like mushkin chronos/reactor and pny optima/xlr8 are more than adequate. sandisk ultra ii is also a good value.

Canon 1Dx - Sigma 120-300 2.8
Canon 5DII - Canon 24-70 L 2.8
Canon 7D - Canon 40STM 2.8
Canon FT - 55 1.2

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,512 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 17, 2015 08:21 |  #5

Having done the upgrade to SSD on several Windows machines I would suggest you investigate a drive that has a "migration kit" included. This typically only bumps the price up by about $10 but does make life amazingly simple. The kit usually includes a cable and specialized software that completely handles the task of making a bootable copy of your old drive onto the new drive. Then you simply install the new drive into the normal location. I have only ever encountered one glitch (I've installed three SSD drives) in that afterwards a printer didn't work and simply reinstalling the driver took care of that issue.

I usually work with Samsung or Sandisk drives, although from the migration software standpoint I find the Samsung easier to work with.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 17, 2015 08:57 |  #6

OWC implemented their own TRIM a couple years ago. Or figured out a work around for apples lack of support. Or something like that, they have all kinds of info on their website if you want to read about it. Personally, I would just go with their offering and know that if for some reason you have trouble with it they will take care of you.

The main thing is being able to implement TRIM. I'm not sure older macs can use apples new version.

I put in their ram upgrade and a couple of years later their SSD. 2009 MacBook, still running strong.

Carbon Copy Cloner will move your system to the new drive. Of course you will need an enclosure for your current drive OR you will have to make a copy to an external drive then swap the internal drive then copy the copy to the new internal.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Sep 17, 2015 16:29 |  #7
banned

Be careful to back up your photos when using SSD, TRIM will literally delete every trace of files, and there is no recovery options, believe me, I know...............and I don't use SSDs for storing photos

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,512 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 17, 2015 16:42 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17710979 (external link)
OWC implemented their own TRIM a couple years ago. Or figured out a work around for apples lack of support. Or something like that, they have all kinds of info on their website if you want to read about it. Personally, I would just go with their offering and know that if for some reason you have trouble with it they will take care of you.

http://blog.macsales.c​om ...o-trim-owc-has-the-answer (external link) discusses what OWC implemented for Apple.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 17, 2015 19:09 |  #9

So do you HAVE to use TRIM with an SSD? I simply bought a cheap SSD from Amazon (A basic OCZ IIRC) for my old Dell laptop, installed it and at the same time installed Win 7 64 Bit instead of Vista. I knew nothing about TRIM and did nothing to set it up. Not long after I installed the SSD I had an issue where about 100GB of RAW files were lost from the drive. I had run out of space while trying to transfer files. I still had one day of two days shooting. When I asked about recovery on here I was pointed to a couple of recovery options, but was then told that TRIM would have completely removed them if they had been deleted. I ran the recovery after putting the drive in an external caddy and using another computer and was able to successfully recover all of the missing images from the SSD.

I still haven't looked at TRIM and the computer seems to be running fine on Win 7 64 bit.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,512 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 17, 2015 19:51 |  #10

http://mashtips.com/ss​d-tools-for-mac/ (external link)

Scroll down a bit to the part about Chameleon. It is an optimization tool for Solid State Drive on Mac OS X system.

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Sep 22, 2015 14:21 |  #11

I have the very same laptop, I upgraded to 8 GB of ram and an SSD (trim activated in MacOS), works like a charm with Lightroom and Photoshop CC. It still take ages to export, but that's because of a CPU.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Sep 24, 2015 04:11 |  #12
banned

BigAl007 wrote in post #17711580 (external link)
So do you HAVE to use TRIM with an SSD? I simply bought a cheap SSD from Amazon (A basic OCZ IIRC) for my old Dell laptop, installed it and at the same time installed Win 7 64 Bit instead of Vista. I knew nothing about TRIM and did nothing to set it up. Not long after I installed the SSD I had an issue where about 100GB of RAW files were lost from the drive. I had run out of space while trying to transfer files. I still had one day of two days shooting. When I asked about recovery on here I was pointed to a couple of recovery options, but was then told that TRIM would have completely removed them if they had been deleted. I ran the recovery after putting the drive in an external caddy and using another computer and was able to successfully recover all of the missing images from the SSD.

I still haven't looked at TRIM and the computer seems to be running fine on Win 7 64 bit.

Alan

TRIM is simply of the way the SSD deletes file(s), it is completely different from platter drives as you can imagine

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
Joined Dec 2013
Kawasaki, Japan
Sep 29, 2015 00:17 |  #13

If your laptop accepts PCI-e cards wait 'til October.
If no, then buy a new one in October ;)

http://www.forbes.com ...-make-pcs-fly-in-october/ (external link)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links

1,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
SSD & MacBook Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.