Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 22 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 14:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sneak peaks do and donts

Roamingbull
Joined Oct 2010
Oregon House CA
Sep 22, 2015 14:58 |  #1

Looking for help on sneak peaks. What is a good rule of thumb when publishing these. Do you send them the sneak peak in their proof gallery, publish it outright on social media, or what. I have been doing mine on social media, but I always think... is this a good idea? Their gallery is private so ehhh... Anyway I have some to publish on an engagement shoot and a wedding I just did and thought I would pan out the question. Hope for some help..

Thanks all

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links
scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Sep 22, 2015 15:16 |  #2

It varies from client to client. You may ask them outright if they want anything posted and where.

But, without a doubt, make sure you call it Sneak PEEK and not Sneak Peak.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Oregon House CA
Sep 22, 2015 15:44 as a reply to scobols's post |  #3

ha ha, yeah thanks PEEK

Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Sep 22, 2015 15:45 |  #4

We publish them on our blog, which then gets a link on our social media pages

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.
Sep 22, 2015 18:13 |  #5

Mine are up on facebook or my website within a few hours of the wedding or shoot. In fact there have been some weddings where I do in wedding sneak peeks on facebook.

Peter

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Sep 22, 2015 18:30 |  #6

I don't post anything publicly until after the client has seen and approved.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Oregon House CA
Sep 23, 2015 18:58 |  #7

Thanks all...

I was just wondering on what the does and donts were. Before I just posted on Facebook a couple days after, but was not doing much business. I have been much more busy lately, and this has just been a nagging question of mine. I really want to post them, (and Ill admit I'm just as excited to do it as the bride is in getting them), but thought maybe hold off.

I think I have my problem solved. My last two sneak peaks I made a special folder for them in my proof gallery. their access is limited to sharing only until they get the official release, then I change the settings and replace the folder with everything else. I think it will work well. The sneaks have my watermark on them... Once I am satisfied they are good to go, Ill post up a few on my Facebook page.

now, another question for discussion... what do you post. I like to save the best for last, and of course the private ones are out of the question. Going over 3000 images deciding what 6 or 7 images to post up is quite a chore.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Sep 23, 2015 21:14 as a reply to Roamingbull's post |  #8

I post 35 images on Facebook. More odd ones normally follow. Check out my Facebook page to see what I put up.

They are selected, edited and posted within an couple of hours of getting back home or to where I am staying that night.

Peter

lkphoto83
53 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Sep 25, 2015 10:27 |  #9

I usally get client approval first. Always.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Sep 26, 2015 09:07 |  #10

I create a special page for the wedding on FB but make it private and invite the couple to view then make them adminis so they can add any friends they wish. Make it unsearchable so Keeps it private.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Oregon House CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Roamingbull.
Sep 26, 2015 16:51 |  #11

Memories, that is amazing you can put those out that fast. Colin, good advice. I was thinking about this method. Another Photo friend of mine does it that way.

I posted on FB. Only 6 images (held held in shame in the shadow of greatness:-D) But the bride loved them. Next show Ill put out more or I may just add to this set.

Thanks all for the thoughts.

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Sep 28, 2015 10:21 |  #12

Personally, I don't agree with sneak peeks that are more than 100 photos. That's not a peek. That's a long, lingering glance.

I've always approached it with the idea that it's a "mini portfolio" of the event. I don't put every usable photo in my portfolio, even if they were all awesome...so the same applies to the sneak peek. I don't think you need to save the "best" ones for the couple to see only...I understand the concept of "set expectations low and deliver high", but the sneak peek is more of tease than expectation setting. You don't approach the girl at the bar with your C game, you bring your A game.

Wow, that steered off topic. Anyways...I usually keep mine 20-30 for weddings, 8-10 for other session types.

Roamingbull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Oregon House CA
Sep 28, 2015 12:13 as a reply to agrandexpression's post |  #13

I agree, too many is a delivery. But I know they look forward to it. I just like the wow factor when I deliver the product in its completeness, and the peek is a tease. The last one I posted was only 6 images, but the one everyone seemed to really like was of the couple standing just after the ceremony with a little photobomb hidden within it. I think in the future I am going to shoot for a two to three day delivery with about 15 to 20 images. Mostly candids, but with one good introducing mr and mrs shot in there and at least one artistic shot of the B&G. Not that there are any rules, I know but its a good thing to set a goal.

IMAGE: https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11260329_994168750641884_489110258348536663_n.jpg?oh=081540ad9c4a11c034e8d92b5a814b7f&oe=56945D30

and

IMAGE: https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/t31.0-8/q81/s960x960/12000929_994169017308524_4092851810353351668_o.jpg

and

IMAGE: https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12029668_994168897308536_235655270982245481_o.jpg

Jon ­ Tinkler
103 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Jon Tinkler.
Sep 29, 2015 05:08 |  #14

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17717734 (external link)
We publish them on our blog, which then gets a link on our social media pages

Same here. Blog post and then spread links across social media.

EDIT: But I do get permission to do it first, of course. Sometimes they want to see them first before they go public, in which case I do a password protected post and then make it public once I get the OK.

Accredited Member of the AIPP
Millgrove Photography - Melbourne Wedding Photographer (external link)
Yarra Valley Wedding Photography (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Sep 29, 2015 08:22 |  #15

Jon Tinkler wrote in post #17725970 (external link)
Same here. Blog post and then spread links across social media.

EDIT: But I do get permission to do it first, of course. Sometimes they want to see them first before they go public, in which case I do a password protected post and then make it public once I get the OK.

We also have permission, its included in our contract and packages.

sponsored links

2,939 views & 4 likes for this thread
Sneak peaks do and donts
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.