Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 24 Sep 2015 (Thursday) 13:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

4k monitor for photo editing?

ThomasDidymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Saint Augustine
Oct 01, 2015 16:52 |  #16

Well I went with the Samsung 28" 4K... This thing is a beast.. I can now zoom it to 3-1 and still see what I am looking at. Now I just want to upgrade my graphic card and tower and I will have all that and the kitchen sink.

Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens..

sponsored links
tandemhearts
Joined Mar 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by tandemhearts.
Oct 02, 2015 06:10 as a reply to ThomasDidymus's post |  #17

OK, I'll admit that I don't get it How does higher PPI have anything to do with zooming in?

I figured that 1:1 (in Lightroom for example) mapped one image pixel to one screen pixel, regardless of resolution and real estate.

If you zoom in beyond 1:1, aren't you entering artifact territory regardless of the screen resolution? And on a 4k monitor wouldn't 1:1 zoom just make all the detail smaller (and therefore apparently sharper) than a traditional ppi? So beyond 1:1 the artifacts will be rendered in finer detail so that you would not notice them at the same viewing distance. Is that better?

More real estate I understand, more PPI, not so much. Maybe that's a limit of my eyes.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 02, 2015 08:32 |  #18

tandemhearts wrote in post #17729873 (external link)
OK, I'll admit that I don't get it How does higher PPI have anything to do with zooming in?

I figured that 1:1 (in Lightroom for example) mapped one image pixel to one screen pixel, regardless of resolution and real estate.

If you zoom in beyond 1:1, aren't you entering artifact territory regardless of the screen resolution? And on a 4k monitor wouldn't 1:1 zoom just make all the detail smaller (and therefore apparently sharper) than a traditional ppi? So beyond 1:1 the artifacts will be rendered in finer detail so that you would not notice them at the same viewing distance. Is that better?

More real estate I understand, more PPI, not so much. Maybe that's a limit of my eyes.

If you are going to produce your final output at 250-300 PPI, why would you not want to be able to edit at that same pixel resolution? Editing would then be much more a case of WYSIWYG. No more having to try to guess what will be an appropriate level of sharpening for your three times higher resolution print, you can see it on screen. Viewing an image on screen at any other reproduction ratio than 1:1 will require some sort of interpolation anyway. The only time that I see monitor screen resolutions approaching that of prints as a problem, is when producing output for low res monitors. but if that really is an issue then I am sure it would not be particularly difficult to keep a 96PPI monitor around for that.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tomstephens89
Joined Sep 2015
Oct 03, 2015 02:50 |  #19

Not 4k but I do have a mid 2014 retina macbook pro with a 15" 2880x1800 display and since using it for the past 18 months I can safely say that using inferior displays such as any 1080p screen over 15" SUCKS.

The pixel density alone produces an image so real and crisp, colours are so accurate and using lightroom is a dream, photo's really pop on this screen.... So I can only imagine a good quality 4k display will look AWESOME!

Get one.

See my flickr profile here (external link)
Canon 5DSR | Canon 16-35 F4L | Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Oct 03, 2015 04:49 as a reply to tandemhearts's post |  #20

Higher resolutions do give you more options, that is to say you can more accurately judge how sharpness will translate to the final print, and if you want to see detail at the same level as you're used to on a standard display, all you have to do is zoom in 2:1. As long as you keep the zoom level in multiples of two, there will be no associated image artifacts.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Oct 05, 2015 09:07 |  #21

However one should still keep in mind the differences in output between digital display and print media.

The biggest ones in my mind:

1. You are still dealing with an additive transmissive backlit display vs an absorption-reflective front lit.
2. Fine pattern detail is also different: Various styles of regular gridded pixels vs a massive array of different print styles, which may or may not even vaguely resemble how the data is reproduced on a screen.

If you are looking for extreme accuracy and control, then you are still going to want to have direct access to your printing method, and put the time and effort into general quality control.

And remember that if you are doing sectional test prints before putting the money into doing a super large print, then it is best to ensure that you are at least doing them on the same tech-family of printers if you can't do them on the actual printer the final is going to be done with. I was talking with an artist awhile ago who was rather mad at her commercial printer she hired to do some massive wall prints. She had ordered small test prints covering various cropped sections from the whole image, and after a few rounds of adjustments she was happy with the results and ordered the full size prints of the whole images... Surprise! Her print house was doing the small images on a smaller format printer from a different company.

So, long story short: When you are considering your equipment, you also have to take into account your planned workflows and desired product. Don't consider your monitor in isolation from everything else.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

njstacker22
Joined Mar 2014
Hamilton, NJ
Oct 05, 2015 09:27 |  #22

What model did you get? I've been looking at Samsung 28-31.5" monitors (4k obviously) but can't really decide what I want to get. I've heard that there are still problems with their PLS panel and having bad viewing angles when dealing with ups and downs (not side to side). Unfortunately, this would be a problem with me as I start to slouch in my chair after a few hours of editing. Can someone confirm/deny this?

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

evelakes
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
Netherlands Wijchen
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by evelakes.
Oct 05, 2015 10:06 |  #23

Love my LG 34 inch did a print out and it's 1 on 1 after a little calibration. not 4K but for me ok, and well within budget with the rest of the PC

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7732/17401729632_9694458b90_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/svJp​Xf] (external link)xpozer (external link) by richard evers (external link), on Flickr

A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.
flickr (external link)https://www.flickr.com​/photos/97611076@N06/ (external link)

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
Oct 05, 2015 10:54 |  #24

Oh Yeah I use a 5k IMAC Retina and on yeah it makes a difference I love using my 5k to edit.

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013
London, Paris, NY
Oct 05, 2015 22:08 |  #25

evelakes wrote in post #17733583 (external link)
Love my LG 34 inch did a print out and it's 1 on 1 after a little calibration. not 4K but for me ok, and well within budget with the rest of the PC
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/svJp​Xf] (external link)xpozer (external link) by richard evers (external link), on Flickr

If it wasn't for the LG logo, I could've mistaken either one for the print. ;-)a

Looks great.

FLiPxJB
Joined May 2014
Chino Hills, CA
Oct 29, 2015 13:11 |  #26

I recently upgraded from two 1080p monitors to two Dell 4k monitors (P2715Q) and i love it. The extra resolution definitely gives you more room to work with. And you can definitely tell the sharpness of the 4k monitors. Highly recommend getting one!

| Canon 5Div | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 35mm f/1.4L II | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 1.4x III I Speedlite 600EX-RT (2x) | ST-E3-RT | f-stop Lotus | Manfrotto MT190GOC4TB | Acratech GPSs Ballhead |

FLiPxJB
Joined May 2014
Chino Hills, CA
Oct 29, 2015 13:12 |  #27

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17733636 (external link)
Oh Yeah I use a 5k IMAC Retina and on yeah it makes a difference I love using my 5k to edit.

Just curious here... which GPU are you using to output in 5k?

| Canon 5Div | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 35mm f/1.4L II | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 1.4x III I Speedlite 600EX-RT (2x) | ST-E3-RT | f-stop Lotus | Manfrotto MT190GOC4TB | Acratech GPSs Ballhead |

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Nov 14, 2015 23:58 |  #28

FLiPxJB wrote in post #17764575 (external link)

I was going to ask the same question

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Kolor-Pikker.
Nov 15, 2015 08:00 as a reply to drisley's post |  #29

FLiPxJB wrote in post #17764575 (external link)

Apple uses custom hardware to allow their GPUs to output 5K at 60hz, currently no other monitor does this. The trade off is that the iMac itself can't be used as a second display.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

ThomasDidymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Saint Augustine
Nov 21, 2015 16:52 as a reply to post 17725790 |  #30

I bought this app and it works great.

Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens..

sponsored links

10,300 views & 6 likes for this thread
4k monitor for photo editing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.