Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 08 Oct 2015 (Thursday) 13:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS M, reviewed by BallerStatus

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND BallerStatus (showing now: BallerStatus)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money10
Must Have8
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected9.5
AF Performance8
Handling and Ergonomics8
User-interface9
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS M

BallerStatus
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Knoxville, TN
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by BallerStatus.
Oct 08, 2015 13:19 |  #1

(Note: Will add pics soon)

So my experience with the EOS M may be different than most. I lurked on the M Owner's sample thread for way too long - years. I had been planning to buy one for years, but couldn't justify the price when it was above the $500 mark. At it's intro price, the M didn't deliver. The AF was blamed over and over again for being slow, etc. Knowing that the AF was the Achilles heel ruled it out for primary camera work to me and it seemed more of a luxury item until my camera and lens kit developed more. Seeing the price drop to around the $300 level made this too good to pass up. I think this is where a lot of others started to pick the camera up.

Now back to my situation. My wife is a great cook and has been interested in food photography but was way too intimidated by all the DSLR buttons and settings to mess with it. She is very smart, but impatient with technology. She has been using her cell phone for pics, but became increasingly dissatisfied with the quality compared to what my 5D's were putting out. This, I felt, was the perfect opportunity for the M. I bought one used on eBay with the 22mm f2 lens. Right out of the box, I was very impressed with it's size and quality feel.

My wife took to it like a duck to water. The touchscreen worked flawlessly helping her make quick settings changes. She mostly shoots in Av mode and only has to adjust the aperture depending upon the look she wants. Auto ISO works well, but you still need to keep an eye on the shutter speed in some situations (keeps it around 1/30 second indoors). For food, it is fantastic. Obviously food doesn't move (or if it does, you aren't doing it right) and the AF seems blazing compared to her cellphone, but falls a little behind my 5D's. Not a big deal if you are using it for food or other stationary objects. AF has always been accurate.

A cool feature is the touch shutter setting that can be easily turned off and on. My wife has been able to hold a drink or small food item in her hand and then bring the camera up to her face, touch her nose where she wants it to focus and it takes the pic. Pretty awesome, if a bit specialized and random.

I have played around with it a bit using my other lenses (with the Canon EF adapter) and it does great with what I have. It's pretty tricky to use with the 24-105. The zoom ring is pretty stiff and it's a heavy-ish lens on the EOS M. Not the easiest thing to manage. Works very well with all of my primes and makes the ergonomics much easier if using AF. The 85 and 135 are fast and produce nice results. I have been using it with my 85mm 1.8 and Raynox macro adapter and have gotten some really cool results. Macro works great with the large touchscreen and touch shutter function.

Not recommended for:
People planning to use for kids indoors. The AF will struggle to track and may drop the shutter speed too low to freeze your kid's motion.

Primary camera. If you are serious about your photography or want to make money with your photos, this is probably not the best tool. You really need something with quicker continuous shooting and AF or you may miss too many moments.

Recommended for:
Food photography. See above.

Travel. We recently took it on our trip to St Augustine and it made a great, light companion. Beach scenes and museum pieces were a breeze to take with this.

Landscape photography. If you are looking to save weight in your bag on a hike, this seems like a no brainer. Fast AF is not required and you can see the settings change quickly on the LCD in real time so you know how your exposure will look.

Those who are already invested in Canon glass. Consider this almost an accessory to your Canon lenses.

Those looking for something better than your cellphone, but not bulky. There have been times before where we have sat down to eat and I wanted to photograph my meal. I could get out my big DSLR, scoot my chair back and take the pic with a loud snap and get everyone's attention at the restaurant. Or I could slip the EOS M out of my pocket or wife's purse, hold it up like a cellphone, and hear a tiny click. We played out the second scenario over and over again on vacation and no one took notice.

2 5Dc's and EOS M - Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 35mm f2 IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS
www.bsquarephoto.net (external link) | www.DKBridgesPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
say_cheese
Joined Mar 2006
Michigan
Oct 08, 2015 13:52 |  #2

My thoughts and experience with the M align exactly with yours. It has become my go-to travel camera, its coming with me to down east Maine this coming weekend. The M has extremely good IQ with the 22mm and the 18-55 M zoom is also a great addition. My big body DSLR's and big white lenses don't see much daylight now days. Fantastic HD video from the M also don't forget.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

BallerStatus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Knoxville, TN
Oct 08, 2015 13:58 |  #3

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. We haven't bought the 18-55 yet, but that may be next. It's size makes it a handy camera to have and you would likely bring it with you more than a big DSLR, but it's may not be the best camera in all situations.

2 5Dc's and EOS M - Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 35mm f2 IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS
www.bsquarephoto.net (external link) | www.DKBridgesPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link)

say_cheese
Joined Mar 2006
Michigan
Oct 08, 2015 14:27 as a reply to BallerStatus's post |  #4

The M certainily has its flaws, some are corrected with the new M3. And I still use my indispensable 1D and 5D gear, but when it comes to traveling light the M is fine vacation camera.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

BallerStatus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Knoxville, TN
Oct 08, 2015 14:47 |  #5

Definitely! I would get envious of my wife with the little camera hanging from her neck after lugging my 5D and 24-105 plus a couple other lenses all day, lol.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Indiana
Oct 10, 2015 22:15 |  #6

I use mine almost exclusively for astrophotography - the light weight puts very little stress on the telescope eyepiece barrel and I get an effective 1900mm FOV with no additional hardware. It's perfect for shooting the Moon and even some wide field shots like Orion's Nebula. It's a bonus that any of my old manual lenses will work with it, in case I feel like trotting them out.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

KainguLodge
Joined Apr 2015
Zambia
Oct 11, 2015 07:42 |  #7

Nice review. Pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about the EOS M. For me it is like a P&S that:
- can take my lenses
- can sit in a bag with a wide angle lens for scenery etc when I am using a longer lens on a DSLR
- Works will for night time and stars
- Can go with me almost anywhere with the 22mm pancake.

I would not be without it now. Beautifully built too.

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
Canberra
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Carzee.
May 08, 2017 22:33 |  #8

Interesting to re-visit after 2 years of more of owning one as a pocket camera. I have an early EOS-M and have used it mostly for holiday snaps and product snaps (ebay pics). The glass is good quality. I don't do much action stuff and if its someone on a bike I get ok results from pans.

The fact is I relax with the camera, no stress or special attention requirements. Its there in a bag or a pocket and if it gets stolen... no biggie. Touch wood. I suppose this aspect of photography has been lost to smartphones but I find the phone cam settings clumsy and don't like much Post Processing at all.

Um, the best feature is that its mirrorless. I can gently touch-screen-shoot in low light at 400 or 800 and get such little noise. I sometimes have a monopod under it on low light stuff but generally the stick is for the video cam (another small item). Its well coated for landscapes with direct sun. And its is good for street portraits. Stealthy. But I wouldn't recommend it for covering so-called protests in the streets of Portland due to the v slow burst.

cheers

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Imagesexternal link

BallerStatus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Knoxville, TN
May 09, 2017 12:14 |  #9

Yeah, this is a "fun camera" for me or for use when I don't want to bring a large kit. I have to admit that I have been using the EOS M less and less as time goes on, but it still comes thru when I don't want the extra weight for casual shooting.

sponsored links

3,825 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon EOS M, reviewed by BallerStatus
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.