Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 15 Oct 2015 (Thursday) 07:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Imac - Should I leave Windows and Convert to Mac?

bkj
151 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Bluffton, SC
Oct 15, 2015 07:20 |  #1

I have been a Windows user since the beginning. My first computer was DOS and Windows 3.1. I always thought the Mac people were so biased against Microsoft, they couldn't objectively compare Windows to a Mac. Then I bought an IPhone and then I bought an IPad. They both worked great and I liked them. They always work and seem to never have a problem. I have four windows computers I keep up to date between work and home. I got tired of the endless updates. I got tired of problems with updates.

So I bought a MacBook Air to give Mac a try. I have to admit, it took a while to get used to the differences between the two. But, after 6 months I find myself using my MacBook Air as much as possible over my Windows machine. I haven't been able to get out and practice my photography much during the last couple years because of work. I expect that to change in the next six months. I feel it's time to get an IMac or move up to a MacBook Pro and use an external monitor and convert my Photoshop license to a Mac.

Apple just came out with their updated 27" IMacs. Spending $2,000 on a computer is a lot of money to me. I guess I'm looking for a push to get me to buy the new IMac. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brad

Gear List

sponsored links
RMyers
Joined Dec 2009
Austin, TX
Oct 15, 2015 08:10 |  #2

There is something to be said about having two of the same platform. If you are happy with the MB Air, then an iMac would make a nice addition and would be cheaper than replacing the Air with a MB Pro. If you go with two systems, consider switching to the Photography CC version of Lightroom and Photoshop. Gives you a license that will run on two systems. Actually regular Photoshop license might allow that too, but I don't think it allows cross platform, ie one Windows and one OS X, (depends on version) due to license numbers and how it checks.

Anyway, I'm on a linux laptop right now at work. I have a Windows desktop siting here too, with CS 5.5 on it. At home I have an almost 3 year old iMac that is my workhorse and a brand new macbook air. So for personal use I like the Mac platform, but use just about anything. I'm not an Apple fanboy though, I stick with Android for my phones. :-)

So, should you switch? Sure, it sounds like you know what you are getting into. The new iMacs are nice and if you go with Applecare, it will be worry free for 3 years. OS upgrades are free and seldom cause problems. Can you build a faster and better Windows machine yourself? Sure, but then you are your own tech support. You are dealing with hardware and drivers from multiple sources. If you want something that just works, go Apple. If you like tinkering and tweaking, go Windows. It works too, but just a bit more work in my opinion. Oh, I'm the IT guy at a small company. I support mac, windows and linux users. The linux users take care of themselves. The mac users seldom have issues. The Windows users are my main customers. All my users get their jobs done and none complain about the platform they are on.

Rusty
Austin, TX

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 15, 2015 08:13 |  #3

Do not buy the 21.5", you cannot add RAM.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Oct 15, 2015 08:28 |  #4

My home workstation is a custom build Windows box, which sometimes dualboots linux for a few tasks. My laptop is a mid 2012 MacBook pro, and I have a Mac Mini for the rest of the family to use. I also use nearly a dozen other systems spread across OS and make due to work. (And lots and lots of Mobile devices from every major player in the industry.)

My experience is that the Mac really hasn't given me any fewer headaches than any other system. Big issues that it has had in the past have been things like:
- Spotlight would randomly fail. It would return results, but it wouldn't let you actually click on anything, and I would have to open finder and manually go get what I was looking for.
- The OS is REALLY happy to randomly lock up and thrash for ages. I've had an i7 8GB iMac completely lock itself up launching pico... And there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, and using the same software for weeks at a time and nothing goes wrong, and then randomly get a long host of responsiveness issues. (My windows machines really have just about as many faults where a program will lock up, but windows is apparently happy to let things crash quickly so you can restart while OSX sits there telling you that things are fine and it can fix stuff...)
- Wireless on my MacBook will randomly refuse to see an internet connection. Every other device on the network works fine, and the MacBook connects to the internal network without issue, but then simply refuses to see that anything beyond the local network exists.

I'm also not a huge fan of all the problems I have with windows machines either, and all the Linux machines tend to be great... Once they're actually working right and you then stop touching any of the backend stuff. None of the systems I have used has ever been so far above any other system that I'm completely sold on the entire concept and would refuse to use anything else. In truth, they all kind of suck in their own unique ways. I'm exceptionally happy with Windows 10, and generally happy with my OSX 10.10.4 I'm running currently.

If you are not starved for space, then I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere than an all in one system like an iMac. I've upgraded monitors multiple times with my home work station, and I've had a few hardware faults in my desktop that I was able to readily fix with ease due to it being a fully modular system. (The onboard network card died recently, so I pulled an old expansion card out of storage, powered the system off, popped the card in, and rebooted. Issue fixed.) There is also a lot to be said about being able to stuff half a dozen drives into a case as needed.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 15, 2015 08:33 |  #5

I'm on my third 5th iMac in a row since the lime green bowling ball. All have performed flawlessly. Go figure.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 15, 2015 09:14 |  #6

Luckless wrote in post #17746335 (external link)
My experience is that the Mac really hasn't given me any fewer headaches than any other system. Big issues that it has had in the past have been things like:
- Spotlight would randomly fail. It would return results, but it wouldn't let you actually click on anything, and I would have to open finder and manually go get what I was looking for.
- The OS is REALLY happy to randomly lock up and thrash for ages. I've had an i7 8GB iMac completely lock itself up launching pico... And there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, and using the same software for weeks at a time and nothing goes wrong, and then randomly get a long host of responsiveness issues. (My windows machines really have just about as many faults where a program will lock up, but windows is apparently happy to let things crash quickly so you can restart while OSX sits there telling you that things are fine and it can fix stuff...)
- Wireless on my MacBook will randomly refuse to see an internet connection. Every other device on the network works fine, and the MacBook connects to the internal network without issue, but then simply refuses to see that anything beyond the local network exists.

Wow are you me? My 2010 27" i7 8GB iMac has most of those same problems, having finder/spotlight randomly screw up, application crashs/lockups left and right, and not being able to find wireless devices.
In addition to: kernel panic when deleting corrupt files and randomly when running Handbrake; Preview still has a broken scroll bar since Yosemite; icons on the desktop may randomly disappear after sleep with multiple displays requiring a Finder relaunch, etc.

I'm actually going back to Windows with my next computer, simply because my needs are the opposite of OP's, Macs have gotten too simple and restrictive for my needs, both hardware and software-wise. I need something I can tinker with and optimize. But for the needs of most people, I think the simplicity is worth it.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Oct 15, 2015 09:46 as a reply to Kolor-Pikker's post |  #7

I am a software developer, so I do tend to push my hardware a little farther than others will, and while I generally like the Apple software for the most part (I really still hate the top task bar... Violating the entire concept of a window...), but I'm becoming less and less fond of their desktop offerings.

I do like their laptops, the MacBook Pro and Air lines are excellent devices, and I'm happy to use them (When OSX isn't doing weird things on me, but every OS does weird things sooner or later), but I really can't stand the direction their desktop line is going. They lack the space for logical internal storage, and just seem like they are compromising their usability as a computer for the sake of looking nice on a desk.

I own computers for the purpose of computing things. If I want a piece of art, I'll buy a statue. All I ask of a computer case is that it have as few lights as possible and be as clean lined as it can be. It is going to get shoved onto a bookcase or at the back of my desk. I want it to hold local drives, and let me swap hardware if something does fail, or if my computing needs change enough that a different piece of hardware is better suited to the task. When i decide that my current graphics card isn't up to the task, I replace it for $100-300 as needed for what I'm doing. iMac's graphics processing not up the task? Well, good news! You get to shell out a few grand for an upgrade, transfer everything over, and try to sell your old system to recoup as much as you can... If something breaks in an iMac, then you need iMac specific parts to fix it, and it is very hard to get a system back up and running to 'limp along' and finish a task.

Of course, if you have zero interest or ability in working with computer hardware, then that issue is of far less worry to you anyway, as you're not going to have a bin of old parts sitting in your closet. I tend to not sell my old graphics cards if I upgrade for example. Currently if my desktop's graphics card pops on me, then I can be back up and running, using that computer with all of its software and data, in fifteen minutes by swapping out the old graphics card. However for a lot of people they would much rather pack it up and head down to their local computer tech, which makes the iMac's poor user repair far less of an issue if they also live close to a good mac store.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Oct 15, 2015 13:40 |  #8

Both operating systems are fine, if you have a preference for one go for it. You may get a faster machine for the same money with a PC is all.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner with reason 'paragraph spacing and formatting'. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 15, 2015 15:58 |  #9

tim wrote in post #17746689 (external link)
Both operating systems are fine, if you have a preference for one go for it. You may get a faster machine for the same money with a PC is all.

Despite the fact that I am a Mac user, and much prefer the system over Windows-based PCs, I agree with Tim.

However, Macs are so much better for me because of my own particular needs, strengths, and weaknesses.

I struggled along with PCs for years, always having all kinds of trouble with them. Then in 2008 when I needed a new computer I went into a store and looked at all of the computers and monitors for sale. I knew nothing at all about Apple, but I thought that the iMac there in the store had a better-looking display than any of the other computers, so I bought it.

As a photographer, the display really was the most important thing for me to have in a computer. I had no idea that the computer would work differently than the PCs I had previously used until I got it home and started using it. Lo and behold, it worked great, and I didn't have any of the problems that I had always had with PCs!

I think that is primarily because I am extremely "technology challenged". How so? Well, installing an anti-virus program is a huge deal for me. I could never figure out how to do it, and thereby had to hire a computer guy to come to my house and install it for me. Then a few months would go by and the anti-virus program would say that I need to install an update. Huh? Why? So I would click on the "update now" button and try to install the update myself. Invariably some little window would pop up and tell me something that I didn't understand - some kind of error message or something, or something that would say something like, "you must _________ ___________ ____________ to continue". I would have no idea whatsoever what it was talking about, so I couldn't continue the update. So, yeah, I would have to call my computer guy again and pay him to come out and install the update for me. This was ridiculous because it would happen every few months.

Another thing was the whole deal with the operating system. Windows would switch from one version to another, and then that would cause some stuff not to work right, so I felt like I had to update to a new operating system, like, the next version of Windows or whatever it is called. What a freakin' nightmare!!!! I don't want to spend one single minute of my time trying to figure out how to put a new operating system on my computer - the whole deal is like a foreign language to me! And it is most certainly a language I have no interest in learning.

Once I switched over to iMac, I never had to install any anti-virus anything, never had to "run updates", basically I never had to do anything in order to keep the computer operational. I just used my computer, without ever having to maintain it. Which is an awesome thing for me, because I have no idea how to maintain a computer, and always had to pay others to do it for me.

So, in general, iMacs have allowed me to use computers without having to spend any time, money, or effort learning about computers. Everything just somehow works, without me having to figure out how to get it to work.

As Tim said, one can get a PC for less money than you have to pay for an iMac. So for one that understands computers a PC is probably a better deal. But for someone like me, that inexpensive PC isn't doing any good if I am all bogged down with viruses, or if I am spending my time watching tutorials trying to figure out how to keep my computer running smoothly, installing updates, etc, etc, etc.

Oh, another thing - if you demand a really great, high-resolution display, then an iMac all-in-one is probably a better value (cheaper!) than a PC / 5K monitor combination.*

*Now, in lieu of that statement, I suspect there will ensue a discussion about whether anyone really needs a 5K monitor or not, and some will say that it is actually no better than a 4K monitor....and people will list facts an specs and numbers and talk about things nobody understands like "bit depth" and "compression" and our "eyes ability to resolve" and whatever all else goes into those technical talks........those discussions bore me to tears! All I know is that photos look better on the 27 inch 5K display than they do on any other display I have seen.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
Joined Dec 2013
Kawasaki, Japan
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by InfiniteDivide. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 15, 2015 17:03 |  #10

I worked my Toshiba satellite laptop (XP) to death during college.
It would only work constantly plugged into power.

After college I got a job, got a nice paycheck and decided to spend $1,200 on an iMac.
2009 snow leopard 8gig 500Gb
Loved it. Laptop had a max of 2gb of ram.

Zero issues at all. Occasional wifi disconnect, but that was due to a distance router.

Sold that to buy my Mac Air in late 2012.
Same Mac I have today, just put a 240Gb 3rd party SSD in it yesterday.

I require mobility.
If I didn't, I would get a 5k iMac with a 256 SSD tomorrow.
I can't afford or justify both, just to edit my photos and watch videos.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Oct 28, 2015 18:01 |  #11

This is what a moderately featured 5k iMac costs in Canada! This is BEFORE 13% sales tax!

I'm thinking of building an x-99 / 5820k /970 4GB video/ 16 GB Ram PC (I actually prefer Windows over OS X , but like the all in one of the iMac) and to do that would cost me about $2800 cdn, but then I need a monitor. The Dell UP3214Q is what I want, 30" IPS 4k display but that is $2000 cdn!!! So yeah, both cost a lot. Not sure of what is out there in monitors that is IPS, 27" and 4K that will rival the iMac. Thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

Lumens
370 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Mesa, AZ
Oct 28, 2015 18:13 |  #12

bkj wrote in post #17746266 (external link)
I have been a Windows user since the beginning. My first computer was DOS and Windows 3.1. I always thought the Mac people were so biased against Microsoft, they couldn't objectively compare Windows to a Mac. Then I bought an IPhone and then I bought an IPad. They both worked great and I liked them. They always work and seem to never have a problem. I have four windows computers I keep up to date between work and home. I got tired of the endless updates. I got tired of problems with updates.

So I bought a MacBook Air to give Mac a try. I have to admit, it took a while to get used to the differences between the two. But, after 6 months I find myself using my MacBook Air as much as possible over my Windows machine. I haven't been able to get out and practice my photography much during the last couple years because of work. I expect that to change in the next six months. I feel it's time to get an IMac or move up to a MacBook Pro and use an external monitor and convert my Photoshop license to a Mac.

Apple just came out with their updated 27" IMacs. Spending $2,000 on a computer is a lot of money to me. I guess I'm looking for a push to get me to buy the new IMac. Any advice would be appreciated.

WOW!! Our stories sound identical except I just bought the 27" iMac you are looking at. For the same reason - my final last straw was the fact my 11" Macbook Air just smoked my high powered Win10 Laptop using Lightroom CC. In fact I left my Win10 Laptop at home for a workshop on Lightroom earlier - the Win10 just made Lightroom miserable. I found myself using the Macbook over the Win10 all the time.

With my new iMac (Yes the $2,000 really hurt) Post Processing is fun again. I can enjoy and produce much better pictures now. For me there will be no turning back - Yes the expense hurts, but the product is SOOOOO much better than my 3 other Win10 Laptops.

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 29, 2015 04:34 |  #13

drisley wrote in post #17763703 (external link)
This is what a moderately featured 5k iMac costs in Canada! This is BEFORE 13% sales tax!

I'm thinking of building an x-99 / 5820k /970 4GB video/ 16 GB Ram PC (I actually prefer Windows over OS X , but like the all in one of the iMac) and to do that would cost me about $2800 cdn, but then I need a monitor. The Dell UP3214Q is what I want, 30" IPS 4k display but that is $2000 cdn!!! So yeah, both cost a lot. Not sure of what is out there in monitors that is IPS, 27" and 4K that will rival the iMac. Thoughts?

The X99 system will give the iMac a run for its money in heavy workloads, those two extra cores are no joke. Not to mention that due to thermal limits, the iMac will rarely run at full-tilt for extended periods at its rated 4.2Ghz, but with a nice CPU cooler you can run the 5820K at 4.4Ghz 24/7.

For the display I highly suggest looking at the LG 31MU97, it's considerably less expensive, is designed for photo/video work with a wide-gamut 10-bit panel, and uses the extended 4K DCI resolution of 4096 X 2160.

The Dell is probably based on the first-generation 4K Sharp IGZO panel, which has long since been succeeded by many cheaper and better displays.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,926 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Oct 29, 2015 09:15 |  #14

I would recommend the Retina iMac, it's an amazing computer. I used windows since the very beginning but Windows 8 was the final straw for me. Mac OSX is SOOO much better than Windows and you will love how well all of your devices work together.

The bottom line is that both systems will get the job done, so you have to find which one you like better. For me, there's no question, OSX is better in every way.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by drisley.
Oct 31, 2015 15:22 as a reply to ShotByTom's post |  #15

That was the opposite of my short experience with OS X. I found it very frustrating and limiting. I like the hardware it's the OS I'm not fond of .

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links

3,058 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Imac - Should I leave Windows and Convert to Mac?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.