Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 28 Oct 2015 (Wednesday) 10:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Damage to lenses from Peli case vibrations

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Oct 29, 2015 11:07 as a reply to post 17764448 |  #16

I am sure you are way beyond the basics but for your sharpness tests are you using one-shot AF?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

sponsored links
Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Nottingham, England
Oct 29, 2015 11:10 as a reply to sapearl's post |  #17

Yes I am. Centre point. Delayed shutter release, mirror lock up, is disabled, tripod etc. Do not mind you asking. I have been known to do very stupid things in the past!

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickrexternal link
david kissman photographyexternal link

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Oct 29, 2015 11:13 |  #18

Plumtreelad wrote in post #17764452 (external link)
Yes I am. Centre point. Delayed shutter release, mirror lock up, is disabled, tripod etc. Do not mind you asking. I have been known to do very stupid things in the past!

Been there, done that myself....embarrassed to admit all the gaffs I've inflicted upon the world of photography.:rolleyes:

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

SailingAway
281 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Oct 29, 2015 11:50 |  #19

That's a pretty good foam guide, John from PA - thanks!

One enhancement; I picked up an electric carving knife from my local Goodwill thrift store for $3. An excellent tool for carving foam!

Still requires a lot of care... mistakes get bigger faster with power tools!

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Oct 29, 2015 11:56 |  #20

SailingAway wrote in post #17764503 (external link)

One enhancement; I picked up an electric carving knife from my local Goodwill thrift store for $3. An excellent tool for carving foam!

My wife was given two serrated meat carving knives and I took one and sharpened up to a razor edge on a diamond stone and that works extremly well too. (our youngest and I were building a foam Noah's Ark for a school project some years back). Needless to say it remains locked away now for future jobs not in the kitchen!

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,458 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 29, 2015 19:07 |  #21

SailingAway wrote in post #17764503 (external link)

Just don't overlook the important step...

It is now safe to grace a few ice cubes with the gentle caress of some Glenlivet while you wait for tomorrow's adventure in foam cutting.

stevewf1
769 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Indianapolis
Jun 21, 2016 04:14 |  #22

I'm very late to the party here, but I'll add something I experienced with foam padding. Not sure it's really relevant these days, but I'll toss it out anyway. Back in the early 1980s, I bought my first camera bag which was a rectangular affair that came with a solid block of foam inside. The idea was to draw outlines of your gear then cut away foam so the gear would fit. I didn't use it very long but I kept some of the foam and stored my slide projector in this case.

Fast-forward 20 years, I hadn't used the projector for 10 years, and I decided to give the projector to a friend. We opened the case and all that foam had literally turned to dust. It was quite a mess and the projector didn't work.

Sometimes, this case was not stored in ideal conditions, but for the most part it was. It's just that it had been stored for a long time.

Maybe today's foam is better, but I'm very leery of foam for any kind of long-term storage. Can't really speak for the padding protection, though.

Steve

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,458 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 21, 2016 08:13 |  #23

stevewf1 wrote in post #18045629 (external link)
I'm very late to the party here, but I'll add something I experienced with foam padding. Not sure it's really relevant these days, but I'll toss it out anyway. Back in the early 1980s, I bought my first camera bag which was a rectangular affair that came with a solid block of foam inside. The idea was to draw outlines of your gear then cut away foam so the gear would fit. I didn't use it very long but I kept some of the foam and stored my slide projector in this case.

Fast-forward 20 years, I hadn't used the projector for 10 years, and I decided to give the projector to a friend. We opened the case and all that foam had literally turned to dust. It was quite a mess and the projector didn't work.

Sometimes, this case was not stored in ideal conditions, but for the most part it was. It's just that it had been stored for a long time.

Maybe today's foam is better, but I'm very leery of foam for any kind of long-term storage. Can't really speak for the padding protection, though.

Very often the foam that is used is polyurethane foam which is notorious for turning into powder and in some rare instances a thick tar like substance. It is also know to release gases as it ages, called volatile organic compounds (VOC) which can screw up expensive optics.

Unfortunately urethane based foam is less expensive than the alternatives like polyethylene or polypropylene based foam. There are many sources these days, places that replace foam in chair/sofa cushions are a good source. We are fortunate here in southeast Pennsylvania to have a chain called the Foam Outlet. Very knowledgeable about foam. When I replaced the material in case I took it to the store and they custom fitted a foam insert and then let me use a hot wire cutter to refine the case for my equipment.

One last thing, don't use relatively rigid foam to protect equipment except for storage. To protect thinghs that are bounced around the foam needs to be semi-rigid. "Shock" is absorbed by the foam allowing some motion. [The physics are too extensive for discussion in this forum :)]

Hannya
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2008
UK
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Hannya.
Jun 26, 2016 13:22 |  #24

I replaced my original peli wheels with skateboard wheels. Much better. Less vibration and potential damage to contents. Easy to do too. http://www.davidfearn.​com .../peli-case-1510-wheel-mod (external link)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Picsexternal link

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,458 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jun 26, 2016 14:57 |  #25

Hannya wrote in post #18050477 (external link)
I replaced my original peli wheels with skateboard wheels. Much better. Less vibration and potential damage to contents. Easy to do too. http://www.davidfearn.​com .../peli-case-1510-wheel-mod (external link)

If you go the wheel replacement route check my comments over at http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​826798.

sponsored links

4,042 views & 2 likes for this thread
Damage to lenses from Peli case vibrations
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.