Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk
Thread started 24 Aug 2015 (Monday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Who has the Nikon AW1 and your experience?

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by WildImages.
Aug 24, 2015 14:46 |  #1

I posted this in the other Underwater Photography group along with a picture of a Green Sea Turtle I took with a Canon D20. This may have been posted in the wrong group and after checking the FAQ, I decided it was OK to ask this question, perhaps more appropriate here, of this group.

Since Canon does not have an underwater camera that takes RAW, I have departed and bought (ouch) a Nikon underwater camera, the AW1 which does fill the need for RAW files and it has interchangeable lenses as well. However I would like to know what luck owners of the Nikon AW1 have had with keeping the camera dry. I had one that leaked and Nikon, thanks to them, replaced it in warranty. I have seen that some have had the same problem with the consensus being to use the 10mm lens instead of the zoom which is drawing suspicion as being the culprit in leak cases. Has anyone else had an episode with the AW1 that they could shed some light on?

Also, has anyone used the AW1 with the SB-N10 Nikon waterproof strobe? If so, what are your impressions of this flash? Is it hard to make ready for a dive?

Charlie

sponsored links
fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Sep 11, 2015 15:30 |  #2

Hi Charlie
I have owned several Nikonos cameras (made by Nikon) - one had to be very careful with the O-rings to keep them from leaking. This meant replacing them frequently, keeping them clean, and using the proper O-ring grease. An issue I see with the AW1 is the lack of water contact extreme wide angle lenses. The Nikonos wide angles were all water contact meaning they were optically designed to work in water (and not air) which made them optically superior.

I saw your spawning grayling shot in the other UW POTN forum - looks quite good but in shallow water you probably had not so much color correction to do. I do a lot of salmon photography in fairly stained water so make use of raw files. I keep my hands out of the water by using remote control, yup it is cold water here too! Was that done with the AW1?
Tom

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Sep 12, 2015 08:37 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #3

Hi Tom,

The stream where the grayling spawn has extreme high turbidity so that I have to do a bit of post processing. I have shot in Alaska, in Misty Fjord National Monument and at Pinta Cove Creek on the Inside Passage. I don't seem to be able to find a very clear stream like lots of others seem to do. I guess we taken what we can get.

Yes, all my underwater stuff is with the AW1 except for the Mexico stuff. I like it because it is self contained and no bit bulky strobes or housings to contend with but that can also be a drawback, I realize.

Here is an image from Walker Cover Creek in Misty Fjord. Had to don a 7mm wet suit for the Alaska stuff. This one is also with a Nikon AW1.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Sep 14, 2015 01:56 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #4

Nice Pink salmon shot. With a big hump like that it is likely to become an alpha male. Water is not too clear in south central, either glacial sediments or staining from tannins. I mostly use a fisheye lens to get as close as possible.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

uwphotoguy
31 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Nov 04, 2015 11:38 |  #5

Here is are a few comments from the wetpixel.com site regarding the Nikon:

http://wetpixel.com ...owtopic=53157#entry​347768 (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 04, 2015 18:05 |  #6

I've had the AW1 since it came out. I had 3 Nikonos film cameras prior to moving to digital, I really miss the Nikonos. But...on to the AW1. It's quite good for what it is. I have both lenses for it, for underwater use I stick with the 10mm having read far too many stories of leakage with the 11-27 lens mounted. I put a floating strap on mine - it still doesn't float but it sinks slow enough for me to grab it and I added the anti-fog filter (forget the number for it - but IMHO this is essential). I use it in Hawaii where I spend a fair amount of time. Here's a turtle I shot with it in May off Maui. This turtle was hanging out on the bottom, about 35 feet down. I swam over it and it looked up and surfaced inches from my arm. We floated there for about 5 mins looking at each other before it swam off in the direction of Molokai. I've been swimming in Hawaii since the late 1970's and have never had this happen.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/345/17910815464_c589825b9e_c.jpg

sponsored links

2,698 views & 3 likes for this thread
Who has the Nikon AW1 and your experience?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.