Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 01 Nov 2015 (Sunday) 10:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RAWs and Jpegs

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
Joined Aug 2003
Nov 04, 2015 17:49 as a reply to post 17772509 |  #31

OK .

2 Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 28 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 85 F1.8, 100 F2.0, 100L Macro, 135L F2, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 10-22 3.5.4.5, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, 70-300L 4-5.6, 100-400L version ii and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Nov 04, 2015 17:52 as a reply to post 17772509 |  #32

Well, there are those who are saying that there's simply no reason to shoot both. While for them, maybe there isn't, for others there is. Sure there are tools that can let you simply and easily extract a JPEG from a RAW, but that's not always an option, nor is it as simple and easy as just clicking on the JPEG the camera recorded as a second file.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 04, 2015 17:57 |  #33

longbeachgary wrote in post #17772501 (external link)
I'm not sure why all the hate towards jpeg. How does it hurt to shoot both? I know that many sports photographers shoot only jpeg in order to keep the buffer from filling up. The bottom line is shoot whatever you want no matter what anyone else thinks or does.

If there is hate for .jobs its because most of us know that shooting .jpgs handicaps your ability to get the most from an image. But most of the responses admit there are times when convenience is more important than Retaining editing flexibility.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Nov 04, 2015 19:21 as a reply to gonzogolf's post |  #34

And denying that shooting both gives you the best of both worlds . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,108 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Nov 05, 2015 00:18 |  #35

Well, there are those who are saying that there's simply no reason to shoot both. While for them, maybe there isn't, for others there is. Sure there are tools that can let you simply and easily extract a JPEG from a RAW, but that's not always an option, nor is it as simple and easy as just clicking on the JPEG the camera recorded as a second file.

Actually, it is that simple and easy. XNView lets you view your raw files as thumbnails. Scroll through an entire folder, then double click on a thumb to view full frame. Zoom in if you wish. Right click and open in your editor of choice, or use XNView for editing. This little program is also available as a portable app.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Nov 05, 2015 10:13 as a reply to texkam's post |  #36

But does it extract the JPEG from the RAW file?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Nov 05, 2015 10:58 |  #37

Ltdave wrote in post #17767989 (external link)
when i first started shooting my canon dslr, i didnt understand RAWs and i didnt see much difference in editing using canons DPP software so i shot Jpegs...

listening to those who are more knowledgeable than myself convinced me to shoot RAWs and i subsequently purchased PSE10 and LR5 (now upgraded to 5.6 i think?) and i really REALLY like the ability to do what i can with these programs to post process my images and i think im getting better at getting my images right SOOC...

heres my question. i continued to shoot jpegs and RAWs because i found it easier to open the jpegs in MS photo/viewer (the default windows application) if i wanted a quick easy look through but now im at the point where i hardly EVER do anything with the Jpegs in my files....

3 questions:

how many shooters here still shoot both?

if you shoot both do you keep the jpegs for any length of time?

if you decide to delete the jpegs, is there a method of selecting them by "type of file" vs clicking every single one of them for deletion?

I started out in 2003 shooting dslr and jpegs. Had a spell trying raw shooting over couple years then did a few events whereby we shoot the image, it goes back to the server/laptop/printer, gets printed and the punter hands over the money. Raw was too slow and it clogged up the flow so we shot jpegs. I worked with an event guy who explained to me the exact specs he set up his cameras and I followed his example with saturation,sharpness and contrast.

We worked together for quite some time on and off and all he looked for was a 1mb file to print a 7x5" image off Fujitsu portable printers and I still follow that way of working today. I buy my cameras based on their jpeg performance and I haven't purchased editing software since about 2006.

It's the way I enjoy still banging out thousands of images a year. Set the camera according to what I want on the days and hey, presto out comes what I want. If I started to edit in raw I would become disillusioned and probably pack it all in thereby losing what is sometimes a quite lucrative 2nd work line.

Ok, I know what you guys produce from raw files and best of luck to ya. That's a choice you make and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Me, I'd prefer to spend an hour creating an ideal scene, wait for the moment of light and if it doesn't work out, well there's another day. Jpegs can be edited to a small degree if we're careful and in the last few months bought a colormeter and that makes shooting under artificial light very enjoyable now.

Even tho I still shoot raw+jpeg for the occasional weddings I do, the look I get from sooc jpegs makes me happy and so quick! :-D

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 05, 2015 15:03 |  #38

longbeachgary wrote in post #17772501 (external link)
I'm not sure why all the hate towards jpeg. How does it hurt to shoot both?

No hate; it's just not always appropriate for what some of us shoot.

JPEG is great if you can nail the exposure and color right in the camera. For a lot of what I shoot, this just isn't possible.

JPEG is great if you're going to deliver an unedited file, or print an unedited file. I sometimes do a photo booth, and DSLRBooth won't even accept anything other than jpeg right from the camera.

LincsRP wrote in post #17773271 (external link)
I started out in 2003 shooting dslr and jpegs. Had a spell trying raw shooting over couple years then did a few events whereby we shoot the image, it goes back to the server/laptop/printer, gets printed and the punter hands over the money. Raw was too slow and it clogged up the flow so we shot jpegs. I worked with an event guy who explained to me the exact specs he set up his cameras and I followed his example with saturation,sharpness and contrast.

We worked together for quite some time on and off and all he looked for was a 1mb file to print a 7x5" image off Fujitsu portable printers and I still follow that way of working today. I buy my cameras based on their jpeg performance and I haven't purchased editing software since about 2006.

It's the way I enjoy still banging out thousands of images a year. Set the camera according to what I want on the days and hey, presto out comes what I want. If I started to edit in raw I would become disillusioned and probably pack it all in thereby losing what is sometimes a quite lucrative 2nd work line.

Ok, I know what you guys produce from raw files and best of luck to ya. That's a choice you make and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Me, I'd prefer to spend an hour creating an ideal scene, wait for the moment of light and if it doesn't work out, well there's another day. Jpegs can be edited to a small degree if we're careful and in the last few months bought a colormeter and that makes shooting under artificial light very enjoyable now.

Even tho I still shoot raw+jpeg for the occasional weddings I do, the look I get from sooc jpegs makes me happy and so quick! :-D

Good post, thanks.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Nov 05, 2015 15:35 |  #39

There are a lot of things I like about RAW, but probably the main thing is being able to salvage detail in highlights and shadows that would be lost in JPEGs.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Nov 05, 2015 15:44 |  #40

I lied. It was a CP8000DW Mitsubishi printer as it sits behind me in my workshop right now. We started out with a HiTi 730PS event printer which has a 2" square screen to view the image before printing. Strewth did that printer earn us some money ...

Originally I started with a Canon CP300 printer shooting Father Christmas events - three clicks, choose image, print, take monies. Worked in many venues and produced a 6x4" postcard. Worked well but, it had to be jpegs.

So it should be obvious that there's a place for jpegs and there's place for raw. You just have to work it out for yourselves which works in the situation you're faced with.

Personally I think jpegs rule .... :-D

Did I just destroy my credability ... yeah, course I did :twisted:

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Nov 05, 2015 15:56 |  #41

LincsRP wrote in post #17773546 (external link)
Did I just destroy my credability ... yeah, course I did :twisted:

Only in the fine arts field. Within the soul crushing rapid churning to push out the same thing over and over again for fun and profit? Well there you're basically god like.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

ebiggs
Joined Oct 2012
Spring Hill, KS
Nov 05, 2015 15:56 |  #42

ebiggs wrote in post #17772403 (external link)
There you have a point! No denying RAW files are huge.

There is why I left a tiny justification for a jpg. Otherwise the RAW converting process is seamless anymore. Even in a hotel room on a laptop. Been there, done that. If you are going to post them to social, FB or the like you need to do a small amount of editing or at least look at what you want to share.
If size becomes a big deal shoot mRAW or even sRAW. A much better choice in my estimation. But that is only me, free advice and worth every penny.

G1x, EOS 1Ds Mk III, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,153 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Nov 05, 2015 16:15 |  #43

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17770978 (external link)
A ciouple of things to keep in mind:

1) Each raw file of late model Canon cameras contains the full size JPG as part of the payload, and you can use some free 3rd party tools that will extract the JPG out should you ever just need JPG..

When did this change? The embedded JPG preview in the past has always been a limited resolution portrayal suitable for chimping on the camera LCD and for extracting display of blinking blown pixels.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Nov 05, 2015 17:32 |  #44

texkam wrote in post #17772852 (external link)
Actually, it is that simple and easy. XNView lets you view your raw files as thumbnails. Scroll through an entire folder, then double click on a thumb to view full frame. Zoom in if you wish. Right click and open in your editor of choice, or use XNView for editing. This little program is also available as a portable app.

Sure, if it happens to be on the computer you're using, or you can load the portable app onto that computer. And then you still have to extract the file to be able to email/share it. No, it's not as simple and easy as shooting RAW + JPEG is. I can do exactly the same things XNView does using IrfanView (including run it as a portable app), but that's still not as easy as having the JPEG right there on the camera's memory card from the moment I press the shutter.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

snerd
Joined Nov 2010
Oklahoma
Nov 05, 2015 17:53 |  #45

I started seriously a little over 2 years ago. I was told to shoot raw, so I did. I've never recorded a jpeg in all this time! Don't know what I'm missing, I guess.

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

sponsored links

3,665 views & 9 likes for this thread
RAWs and Jpegs
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.