Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,441 posts
Joined Jul 2010
ɹǝpun uʍop
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by L.J.G..
Sep 03, 2015 03:40 |  #9406

neilwood32 wrote in post #17686432 (external link)
Was off the East Coast - Beadnell (external link) to be exact. Was tempted to take my dinner out of the water with me - the number of good sized lobster was incredible.

Have spoken to a few folk and seemingly the Forth isn't too bad for visibility. Quite a number of dive-able wrecks by the looks of things.

You aren't far from where we are staying in Hawick. We have not been to the east coast yet, only the west which is pretty wild and rugged.

IMAGE: http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag261/Lloyd_Gardiner/Castle%20stalker%202_zpsmp5qemw7.jpg

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flickexternal linkr

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Australia
Sep 16, 2015 05:23 |  #9407

Our eight year (12 for my wife) stint in Laos is coming to an end. We fly home for good (except for returning for holidays) on the 28th September. It's been a marvelous experience. Laos is a brilliant country to be a photographer with fantastic scenery and people who don't mind being photographed. Laos is the place I honed my street candid skills.

Heaps of packing to do. Luckily my wife's employer (or should I say ex-employer) are demobilising us. We are taking half a household with use including furniture and other goods and chattels we bought here.

I just did an inventory of camera equipment. I didn't realise I had so much and I'm not even bragging. Most will be packed in my check in luggage into the original boxes. A fair bit as carry on. Luckily we are returning business class so we have a generous check in allowance. Tripods, stands, umbrellas, reflectors etc will go via the shipping container along with our 'other' stuff. It will follow us by about five weeks.

We are tossing up if we should find work when we get back to Australia. I'd like to go back to my studies to keep busy but I'm certain our two grandsons ages six and four will be more than a handful.

A new phase in our lives is about to begin.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
15,875 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Jun 2006
Ontario, Canada
Sep 16, 2015 21:24 |  #9408

Sounds like fun. After that long I'm sure you're going to miss it, but going back home will probably be wonderful.

If you find that you have too much camera gear to pack, feel free to ship some to Canada. I'll take care of it for you! ;)

Melody

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Australia
Sep 17, 2015 00:06 |  #9409

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #17710522 (external link)
Sounds like fun. After that long I'm sure you're going to miss it, but going back home will probably be wonderful.

If you find that you have too much camera gear to pack, feel free to ship some to Canada. I'll take care of it for you! ;)

Thanks Melody,, I'll keep that in mind.

Jurgen

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Sep 17, 2015 01:03 |  #9410

Hey, I've been having a great conversation on FaceBook about "My Generation", about the hopes and dreams we have aspired to...if anyone wants to join in, please do (the same user name)!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Ian ­ Mackie
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Sep 19, 2015 06:32 as a reply to yogestee's post |  #9411

Good luck with the move Jurgen, where in OZ is home?

flickr (external link)

Biff ­ LaRue
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Florida
Sep 19, 2015 09:00 |  #9412

New to the forum and just kind of shuffled in; feels like home, I'll hang for a bit. Did my photography degree back in 1979 but still feel well enough to be considering buying a new camera soon. Retired with a government paycheck and enjoying being poor and free at 62.

Did I miss anything?

daverator
My title stinks!
Joined Sep 2014
NE Montana
Sep 19, 2015 12:04 |  #9413

Biff LaRue wrote in post #17713205 (external link)
New to the forum and just kind of shuffled in; feels like home, I'll hang for a bit. Did my photography degree back in 1979 but still feel well enough to be considering buying a new camera soon. Retired with a government paycheck and enjoying being poor and free at 62.

Well welcome to POTN and the poor club! And congrats on getting new gear! Good forum, pretty laid back. Post photos!

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Australia
Sep 20, 2015 10:18 |  #9414

Ian Mackie wrote in post #17713130 (external link)
Good luck with the move Jurgen, where in OZ is home?

Thanks Ian.. The sunny south coast of NSW..

Jurgen

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Australia
Sep 20, 2015 10:19 |  #9415

Biff LaRue wrote in post #17713205 (external link)

Welcome Biff and welcome to the best thread on POTN.

Jurgen

Yno
860 posts
Joined Jan 2008
San Jose, California
Nov 07, 2015 13:02 |  #9416

Almost an entire season has passed since the last post. I hope there wasn't some catastrophic epidemic or zombie apocalypse that wiped out all the old timers except for me. Y'all still out there? I'd hate to get into Guinness records as the last surviving old fart around. As I approach another anniversary of my birth date I don't want to feel alone. So anyway, besides taking a few pictures, I have been experimenting with smoking, as in barbecuing, and have also been testing out Sous Vide cooking. It is strange though that I have not been posting any pictures of my results on the cooking forums as many others do, usually very crappy pictures. The food is probably good, but it is sometimes hard to judge from the out of focus, sideways, badly exposed and composed photos. Anybody else doing anything (probably more) noteworthy lately? Anybody still out there?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.comexternal link

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,179 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Nov 07, 2015 13:39 |  #9417

Yno wrote in post #17775421 (external link)
I hope there wasn't some catastrophic epidemic or zombie apocalypse that wiped out all the old timers except for me.

More likely, we forgot about the thread. You know how memory gets.

I have not been posting any pictures of my results on the cooking forums as many others do, usually very crappy pictures. The food is probably good, but it is sometimes hard to judge from the out of focus, sideways, badly exposed and composed photos.

Yours isn't the first complaint about the quality there. Experts/pros want to see better pictures, and novices/amateurs don't know how to make better pictures. You can always start your own thread to avoid letting your stuff get lost in the mix.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Nov 07, 2015 15:54 |  #9418

Got to do something I have always wanted to do but never had time. Act in a Shakespeare play. This summer and again in October I was involved in Othello at a nearby community theater. I am a blustery old father, angry because his daughter snuck out of the house and got married. Ton's of fun!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nov 08, 2015 01:53 |  #9419

I've just opened a bottle of red wine.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
35,632 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Nov 08, 2015 05:42 |  #9420

Gosh!

sponsored links

642,777 views & 131 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.