Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 09 Nov 2015 (Monday) 19:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shoes for the hiking photographer? recommend...

jobv2
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011
new jersey
Nov 09, 2015 19:43 |  #1

I want to start hitting the trails and shooting more nature. I was hoping for a recommendation on hiking shoes preferably something water proof but not a requirement. I want something I can walk all day in the mountains, desert, woods. Comfort is my primary goal, I can spend all day shooting + walking around "off the grid."

thank you for any comments

male shoe, size 9.5

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback
:cool:

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 09, 2015 19:50 |  #2

I've enjoyed my hi tek boots. Are you wanting shoes or boots?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.
Nov 09, 2015 19:50 |  #3

I am no expert on hiking, but I have never heard 'waterproof' is good if your feet cannot 'breathe'.
Military boots that are better for immersion in water simply use woven synthetic material rather than leather...but they both allow your feet to 'breathe'. The reduced breathability created by a membrane (compared to the ventilating mesh used on some nonwaterproof shoes) may encourage feet to sweat on summer days.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jobv2
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011
new jersey
Nov 09, 2015 20:02 |  #4

I can wear shoes or boots although I mostly wear shoes. I'll go where the comfort is. Good point on breathability.

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Nov 09, 2015 20:03 |  #5

Don't know your budget but for ± USD $200 you can get yourself a pair of Danner Mountain Light II boots. Made in the USA and I enjoy the heck out of them. Comfortable as moccasins after break in (which was surprisingly easy as well) and they are fully resole-able so while $200 may seem like a lot, these old friends should be with you for a long time to come.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

jobv2
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011
new jersey
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by jobv2.
Nov 09, 2015 20:12 |  #6

Naturalist wrote in post #17777996 (external link)
Don't know your budget but for ± USD $200 you can get yourself a pair of Danner Mountain Light II boots. Made in the USA and I enjoy the heck out of them. Comfortable as moccasins after break in (which was surprisingly easy as well) and they are fully resole-able so while $200 may seem like a lot, these old friends should be with you for a long time to come.

i did consider danner, columbia and northface.

I'll probably just go to a store and put my feet in them

gear| feedback

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Nov 09, 2015 20:15 |  #7

What kind of load do you expect to carry? A pack full of photo gear will call for a sturdy set of boots while with a single camera with all-purpose zoom you can get away with a pair of light, low walking shoes. Personally, for the varied environments you've listed, I'd go with a different set of shoes for each of them. You don't need "waterproof" (personally, if I'm worried about wet, I'll go for GoreTex linings) for the desert, but you do (probably) want something to keep sand out. And for mountains (I'm assuming rugged/rocky terrain) you'll want good support up the ankles (as would also be the case for heavy gear loads). For relatively smooth woodland trails (not heavy with roots or rocks across the trail), walking shoes would probably do well.

As for brands, every company uses their own last - one that works for me wouldn't necessarily work for you. Find a good outdoor supply store (REI, EMS, LL Bean) and try on a couple of pairs. Go in wearing a pair of snug-fitting, but comfortable, shoes; not slip-ons or chukka boots. You want your feet to be used to being supported all around when you start trying the new shoes on. If one pair feels reasonable at first, walk around in-store a lot. But don't try too many pairs the same session - your feet won't be able to tell you if they hurt from this new pair or from the last pair you tried.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 09, 2015 20:42 |  #8

excellent advice Jon.

When I shop for shoes it is generally over the course of at least couple of weeks, and as many stores as I can get into as possible. Take the socks you plan to wear while out hiking. Needless to say I am very particular about what i buy. Having worked for a footwear manufacturer for years, and having been a hiker for the last 25 years or so, I know a good bit about what I am buying.

As Jon said, what works for one person might not work for another. I won't even consider a shoe that doesn't have a solid, and long shank. The shank is in the middle of the shoe, embedded in the sole and goes from the heel to somewhere in the middle of the foot. For support, he closer to the ball of your foot the better. The problem is that these days many shoes have weak, short shanks. If you take the shoe by the heel and toe and bend, you will see how long or short the shank is. Regardless of how hard it is to bend the shoe, it is the point where it bends that is important … it should be down near the ball of the foot, not in the middle of the shoe.

The latest boot I have been wearing are Scarpa lightweight hikers and after a year or two are some of the best I've ever owned. I had been wanting to buy Scarpa for a long time, and I will probably go back to them for my next pair. I'm thinking about some one piece leather hikers. The pair before that were Montrails and were total crap.

I have also been wearing some Teva shoes. I was honestly shocked at the way they were constructed and that the shank was long enough to fit my needs. The rest of the sole is fairly soft so they are very comfortable for everyday wearing around town but still hold up on light day hikes with a small backpack.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 09, 2015 21:19 |  #9

I secomd the teva suggestion, merrils are also comfortable.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Europe
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by DetlevCM. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 14, 2015 10:03 |  #10

jobv2 wrote in post #17777973 (external link)
I want to start hitting the trails and shooting more nature. I was hoping for a recommendation on hiking shoes preferably something water proof but not a requirement. I want something I can walk all day in the mountains, desert, woods. Comfort is my primary goal, I can spend all day shooting + walking around "off the grid."

thank you for any comments

male shoe, size 9.5

If you went hiking in Europe, the three standard suspects are Meindl, Scarpa and Lowa.
-> Any outdoor shop will have a nice selection and you can have a good look, possibly visit multiple ones to see what they recommend.

The one thing I would point out right away is that you will NEVER get something that does everything, i.e. desert and mountains say. Normally when hiking you tend to use woollen socks and these can be used to adapt - more warmth vs. more ventilation.
Also, it might seem counter-intuitive, but shoes aimed for outdoor use can be very problematic in cities - I had some Meindl shoes that have seen I don't know how many kilometres of walking - great as casual shoes, BUT they could be very problematic in cities, especially on these stupid slippery stones that were used in Leeds; when wet - grip = zero. At the same time, go out walking with them, grip on natural rock = perfect.
Given that I mainly walk through cities nowadays, I sort of stopped wearing any kind of outdoor shoe and just go with nice derby shoe.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Philihase
Joined Dec 2013
Giessen Germany
Nov 16, 2015 06:06 |  #11

I think most people have a favourite boot/ shoe but as everyones feet are different it all comes down to the fit.

I have worn Lowa Rengades for years and they fit me like a glove, stable enough for what I do, hold the water out well and fairly durable (I buy a pair a year walk about 30km a week probably, through grass,gravel, mud and tarmac then use them to travel back and for to work for another year).

One thing I would suggest if you find the "Perfect" boot for yourself imediatly if possible buy another pair as you may never find them again :)

https://www.facebook.c​om ...e-Photos-852961268075109/ (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by gonzogolf.
Nov 16, 2015 08:21 |  #12

Philihase wrote in post #17785630 (external link)
One thing I would suggest if you find the "Perfect" boot for yourself imediatly if possible buy another pair as you may never find them again :)

I bought 5 pairs of bite sport shoes when the company was purchased by crocs and they were discontinued. I'm down to 2 pair left.

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Nov 16, 2015 08:43 |  #13

L.L.Bean makes a nice reasonably priced pair of waterproof shoes.
In fact, I'm wearing them right now!

Canon EOS 6D | Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300, DSC-RX100M2 |

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Lexington Ky
Nov 16, 2015 09:13 |  #14

There are some very good suggestions in here already, and I would second just going in to a reputable outdoor supplier and trying on anything that interests you. What works for my feet won't necessarily work for your's. I would also add that the socks that you will be wearing are just as important to your comfort as the shoes you end up with so don't skimp on the hiking socks.

Personally I have been using Keens for both my low top hikers and high top boots for years and love them. I have had multiple pairs of my low tops last longer than 3 years. I have a fairly broad foot and have heard that Keens do not work well for people with narrow feet so YMMV.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Nov 16, 2015 09:17 |  #15

I'm a Danner guy. Only the Made in USA styles. Factory is close to me so I take them back every other year and have them rebuilt. You get what you pay for.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

5,611 views & 12 likes for this thread
Shoes for the hiking photographer? recommend...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.