Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 15 Nov 2015 (Sunday) 11:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding Photos

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Nov 18, 2015 08:13 |  #31

Haven't heard back from OP in a few days. Wonder if a resolution was reached?

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 18, 2015 08:23 |  #32

A quick edit, but I would do better with the raw first. The shadows are harsh, much like a midday outdoor shot with no fill flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Nov 18, 2015 09:30 |  #33

Without a reflector or fill flash as said by other posters that shot was never going to work. A few feet further back towards the altar would have put those downlighters in front of the subject and shadows would have been less harsh. The fact is the seating arrangement would have soaked up any reflected light so nothing coming from the back of the photographer to fill those shadows.

I think this is a classic 'shoot it in raw and fix in post' approach. Doesn't work with weddings - too many variables to fix and hundreds of photos means any wedding photographer working this way will lose the will to live ...

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 18, 2015 09:33 |  #34

LincsRP wrote in post #17788478 (external link)
any wedding photographer working this way will lose the will to live ...

love it! lol so true tho!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 18, 2015 09:54 |  #35

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17788407 (external link)
A quick edit, but I would do better with the raw first. The shadows are harsh, much like a midday outdoor shot with no fill flash.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=177​88407&i=i145345838
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events

A tiny bit less awful. But still awful.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 18, 2015 09:57 |  #36

gonzogolf wrote in post #17788503 (external link)
A tiny bit less awful. But still awful.

Yes. His turd polishing skills aren't bad. ;)

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

BlackBull
Joined Sep 2012
Lancashire
Nov 18, 2015 11:22 |  #37

agrandexpression wrote in post #17788401 (external link)
Haven't heard back from OP in a few days. Wonder if a resolution was reached?

I suspect the OP has read enough from the first few replies to see that she got what she paid for and there's not a lot she can do. No need to come back and reply to that.

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 18, 2015 15:18 |  #38

If the TS can get their hands on the raw images though, I am sure several here are kind enough to offer their skills to play with a small number of the files.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Nov 18, 2015 17:25 |  #39

elrey2375 wrote in post #17788397 (external link)
You've never had a problem giving your opinion before lol

If a business is selling a product or service... and they deliver a product or service comparable with what they are advertising they are selling... and the buyer has freely entered into making the choice to purchase from the seller, then the seller is operating with integrity and doing nothing wrong.

Without seeing the portfolio in question etc first nor the full set of what was delivered it is impossible to judge whether or not that is the case.

As a side note for me it reaffirms the poor advice given by many photographers in forums and groups that a photographer's portfolios should only reflect their best work. If it is being used to advertise services they should reflect work consistent with what the client should expect to receive.

Peter

dcmoon
30 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Western NY
Nov 18, 2015 19:10 |  #40

I agree with one of the other posters, see if you can obtain the RAW files. If they shot in RAW there's hope with some work to salvage something. The white balance and lack of lighting is horrible. Good luck!

DCMOON
5DII
70-200 2.8L , 24-70 2.8L , Tamron 200-500
580 EX, Some AB's

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by itsallart.
Nov 18, 2015 19:29 |  #41

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17788838 (external link)
If the TS can get their hands on the raw images though, I am sure several here are kind enough to offer their skills to play with a small number of the files.

I'm in for free editing :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 18, 2015 20:11 |  #42

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17788976 (external link)
As a side note for me it reaffirms the poor advice given by many photographers in forums and groups that a photographer's portfolios should only reflect their best work. If it is being used to advertise services they should reflect work consistent with what the client should expect to receive.

I don't think there's anything wrong with advertising your best work.....If you lack the skill to capture the shots you're presenting consistently its a problem, but any good photographer understands that the difference between their best images and their typical/average images isn't a matter of skill....its a matter of having good subject matter, optimal lighting, and many times, simply being at the right place at the right time.

The caveat is that as a wedding photographer, understanding what you're being hired to shoot to and managing expectations on the front end is extremely important. Find out what type of shooting conditions you'll be in, schedule of events, any restrictions (i.e. flash) on the front end and have real dialogue and input with the bride during the planning process. If you're not allowed to use flash in the church, explain that bad lighting can affect the quality of photos and you'd like to carve out some extra time to take posed formals outside of the church. Same if they try to schedule outdoor formals at a a sub-optimal time of the day, or any other factors that can impact your ability to do your job optimally. Obviously the photographer is rarely the priority when planning, but at least if your deliverable is affected by less than ideal shooting conditions, you set the expectation on the front end so there are no surprises.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
Nov 18, 2015 21:50 as a reply to mystik610's post |  #43

This is spot on. You manage expectations, but you still put your best foot forward. Most clients understand that not every shot is going to be that dramatic showstopper. They can't all be that way. Good subject matter is definitely a huge factor.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link

tony ­ rage
689 posts
Joined Jan 2008
orlando, Fl
Nov 18, 2015 21:53 |  #44

Someone mentioned the use of a 70D and a 50mm 1.4 yet the photog shot at f4/f5. I believe most of us here would have use different settings on that equipment to obtain a nice usable image. My thought is, this photog could have Rented/Borrowed the equipment and just simply doesnt know how to use it. I know somebody that recently bought a Rebel "Kit" and started advertising a photography business. even using Groupon-like services. I think its very unfortunate what happened to the OP and hope she gets to resolve something.

5Dc * 1DMkII * 40D * 24-70 2.8 * 85 1.8 * and more!

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 19, 2015 06:46 |  #45

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17788976 (external link)
If a business is selling a product or service... and they deliver a product or service comparable with what they are advertising they are selling... and the buyer has freely entered into making the choice to purchase from the seller, then the seller is operating with integrity and doing nothing wrong.

Without seeing the portfolio in question etc first nor the full set of what was delivered it is impossible to judge whether or not that is the case.

Agreed, that's why I make every gallery public. So clients may see what my complete deliverable was for recent clients. (I do keep some select photos in a private gallery if the client wants specific shots to remain private). I don't claim to be the best or better than anyone. I strive to do as good or better than my previous shoot. Clients can see everything and decide for themselves if they would like to work with me. I make it a point to ask each client why they chose me and what photo(s) they liked. Many times, they point out photos that I would not have posted as my "best work" if that was all that I shared. Seeing all of the full galleries also allows them to assess your consistency and to show how you do in different venues and locations. There will be no surprises, because they have seen everything and know what to expect. IF I do not live up to my previous work, then I can understand their disappointment.

IMHO, if you are only posting your best work, you are lying to the client. Show them what they are REALLY getting. If I ONLY posted my BEST from each session, I would be leaving out 99% of my actual work. Would you buy anything else only knowing 1% of the information? A house? A car? Those may be some loose comparisons, but you get my point.

Blake C

sponsored links

8,492 views & 21 likes for this thread
Wedding Photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.