Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 04 Dec 2015 (Friday) 11:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5d mk II vs second 7d vs 135L

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Dec 04, 2015 11:44 |  #1

So I got my bonus today and have been getting more and more back into photography after a long break once I left my last job. I am thinking of doing the following and am not sure so I wanted to get some opinions.

I have the gear below. A friend is selling his 7D with a grip, and he offered me a really good deal on it so I would replace the 50D and give it to a friend for Christmas as he was looking to upgrade and this is a good step up for him. With the prices of 5d mk II's getting really low now I was thinking of picking one up. I can do that or do the 135L is another option since I am slowly loving primes more and more.

I mostly shoot cars, general event stuff(journalism stuff), some weddings, and product. Though I am shooting people a bit more now a days. I recently got the 35mm Sigma Art and have been really impressed with it. I don't shoot as much studio stuff as I used to and do a lot of available light which is why I am thinking the 135L. Any opinions let me know.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by gonzogolf.
Dec 04, 2015 11:50 |  #2

If you already had a ff body I would say the 135L but since you don't I would suggest the 5DII since you say weddings are part of your goals.

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Dec 09, 2015 18:29 |  #3

Ended up getting the second 7D. Got it got a really good deal and after talking to a few people, it is worth it to have the second identical camera, makes it easier to go between them at events.

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Cameron ­ Hagen
Joined Aug 2012
Cypress, TX
Dec 09, 2015 18:39 |  #4

Smart choice on 2 of the same body

The 135L is an amazing lens. I use it on my full frame body. My girlfriend uses an 85 1.8 on her 7d to get VERY similar results. Both options would be great for your future kit.

| 5Dc | 7D | 1D3 | 1Ds3 | 17-40 4.0 | 28 1.8 | 40 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 135 2.0 | ∑ 24-70 | ∑ 70-200 OS |
In need of : 300

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Dec 10, 2015 11:58 |  #5

Why I posted it, they are all solid choices in the long run.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,587 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Dec 16, 2015 13:10 as a reply to The Fox's post |  #6

I had shot with different model Canon DSLR cameras for years. Usually one model apart. However before a trip to Venice, Greece and Istanbul, I purchased a second 7D. I have really enjoyed shooting with two exact same models.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

909 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mk II vs second 7d vs 135L
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.