Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 11 Dec 2015 (Friday) 18:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recommend a portable ("table top") tripod for DSLR?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 11, 2015 18:18 |  #1

Looking to use it mainly with 5D Mark III + 16-35 F4L IS

It seems people love the Manfrotto Pixi Mini and say it can comfortably hold beyond the 2.2lbs rated max.

There are TONS of others, it seems... including rebrands/copies. The Ultrapod II also came up in a bunch of my searches. Then there are things like the Slik mini...

Most of the stuff I've also found has been from pre-2014. In 2015 and into 2016, is there any frontrunners currently regarded as great options for portable/tabletop tripod stuff?

Really just looking for a tripod I can throw in my bag and basically ALWAYS have with me. For use with things like ledges, on the ground, etc.

Things like Gorillapod seem to offer nice versatility, but I hear more negative than positive about them :(

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Dec 11, 2015 22:44 |  #2

I've got a Manfrotto 209. It doesn't come with a head, but I just use the Markins Q3t from my travel tripod on it and it works great. I figure the head is the weak link on these little cheap tripods, so I just bought the legs, knowing that pretty much any tripod head would fit. I used it with a 5D Mark III and 17-35L combo for shots on a cruise and it worked great.

GEAR LIST

Echo63
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Dec 11, 2015 23:50 |  #3

The Manfrotto 290 is an excellent choice - i have had a 1D4 and 70-200 on the stock head (during the day as a remote camera, i wouldnt try it at night) and it worked ok.
I would get a slightly bigger head that takes A/S or RC2 plates (depending on what you use) for it though, but the legs are solid.

You could also get one of these
https://www.manfrotto.​com ...ocket-support-large-black (external link)
If you are just using it on tables, chairs and "street furniture" its not bad, i had a play with one a few years back and they are solidly built.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Dec 11, 2015 23:55 |  #4

I have a gorillapod and have no issues whatsoever with it. Really awesome, no problem with my 7DM2 amd 70-200 F4.

The market is flooded with knock offs, I think that's where they get the bad reviews.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

cug
69 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 12, 2015 15:28 |  #5

Maybe interesting:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...iber-Tabletop-Tripod.aspx (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Dec 12, 2015 15:36 |  #6

GorillaPod Focus

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 12, 2015 18:32 |  #7

Definitely on my radar! Looks very reliable, but I also wish it were a tad more versatile. Also brand new - harder to see some of the reviews and getting a true understanding of the sizing. Having a full-size Feisol tripod, this is my frontrunner right now I think...

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17816641 (external link)
GorillaPod Focus

Been looking into this model, and it seems a step above the typical GorillaPod line and is definitely able to handle the load. I worry though - with all gorillapods people say one of the ball joints gives way, and at that point the stability of the entire thing is in jeopardy :(

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by FarmerTed1971.
Dec 12, 2015 22:06 |  #8

Mine has not failed... but I must admit I've not used it a lot.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Dec 12, 2015 22:49 |  #9

Another GorillaPod Focus owner here. No problem supporting my 70D and the ball head is surprisingly good.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Dec 13, 2015 06:09 |  #10

I suppose it all depends on what you're going to be using it for. My suggestion, the Manfrotto 209, is easily slipped into a pocket or bag, and you barely know it's there (depending on how large of a head you attach, of course). The gorillapods for DLSR's are small by tripod standards, but MUCH larger than the tiny little Manfrotto's/Ultrapods mentioned. If you haven't seen one, you might want to take a look at one up close before making the purchase. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're great, but I don't know how well you can toss one in a bag and not notice it.

GEAR LIST

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 14, 2015 19:11 |  #11

Lyndön wrote in post #17815873 (external link)
I've got a Manfrotto 209. It doesn't come with a head, but I just use the Markins Q3t from my travel tripod on it and it works great. I figure the head is the weak link on these little cheap tripods, so I just bought the legs, knowing that pretty much any tripod head would fit. I used it with a 5D Mark III and 17-35L combo for shots on a cruise and it worked great.

Echo63 wrote in post #17815923 (external link)
The Manfrotto 290 is an excellent choice - i have had a 1D4 and 70-200 on the stock head (during the day as a remote camera, i wouldnt try it at night) and it worked ok.
I would get a slightly bigger head that takes A/S or RC2 plates (depending on what you use) for it though, but the legs are solid.

You could also get one of these
https://www.manfrotto.​com ...ocket-support-large-black (external link)
If you are just using it on tables, chairs and "street furniture" its not bad, i had a play with one a few years back and they are solidly built.

Lyndön wrote in post #17817189 (external link)
I suppose it all depends on what you're going to be using it for. My suggestion, the Manfrotto 209, is easily slipped into a pocket or bag, and you barely know it's there (depending on how large of a head you attach, of course). The gorillapods for DLSR's are small by tripod standards, but MUCH larger than the tiny little Manfrotto's/Ultrapods mentioned. If you haven't seen one, you might want to take a look at one up close before making the purchase. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're great, but I don't know how well you can toss one in a bag and not notice it.

The 209 is only rated at 4.4lbs. Throwing a ballhead on it, THEN a full frame DSLR + a lens like 16-35 F4L... could it actually support the weight?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,503 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 14, 2015 19:25 |  #12

Some decent stuff made by Really Right Stuff but not inexpensive.

Check http://www.reallyright​stuff.com ...ltraLightPackagesTa​bletop (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Dec 14, 2015 20:43 |  #13

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #17819097 (external link)
The 209 is only rated at 4.4lbs. Throwing a ballhead on it, THEN a full frame DSLR + a lens like 16-35 F4L... could it actually support the weight?

Did i mention i used it for a 1d4 and 70-200 ?

It may flex a little, but its very strong

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Dec 14, 2015 23:13 as a reply to kaitlyn2004's post |  #14

Yes, I've used it with a 1D3 + 70-200 2.8 IS + 580 EX II just to see if it would hold up. Lol

I don't remember the exact exposure for this image, but it's way longer than could be handheld. It was taken using the 209, Markins q3t, 5D Mark III & 17-35mm f2.8L. So in my experience, it's plenty stable with a FF camera, long exposures (I shot exposures up to around 3 seconds), and at least a wide angle lens. I haven't tried it for telephoto work other than just goofing around.

My only issue with it, ever, was the the glue on the cork pads on the feet isnt that great, but a little super glue fixed that.

IMAGE: http://www.lyndonimages.com/Public/Fascination/i-m5nL47z/0/L/20140108-Carnival%20Fascination%20Cruise-0030-L.jpg

GEAR LIST

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 15, 2015 20:37 |  #15

Is there any option BESIDES the gorillapod to handle the fact where you may not have a decently flat (and wide enough) surface to put a typical tripod on?

sponsored links

6,625 views & 2 likes for this thread
Recommend a portable ("table top") tripod for DSLR?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.