Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk
Thread started 15 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 20:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Getting an assignment letter?

snokid
158 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 15, 2015 20:51 |  #1

I have been shooting this event I want to cover again this year, but the place that has gotten me credentials has cut that department (they will take my photo's though)

I have tried industry magazine's and either I don't get a reply or I get they are already going to have their photog's there.

It's not the quality of my work, I have a strong portfolio in this area of interest.

The event media relations department is close to me, I have visited the office, they seem nice and want to help. But they are telling me I need a letter of assignment from a media outlet.

I can remember in years past reading people's passes and seeing "joe blow photography"

So what I'm wondering other than buying the girl at the office flowers(i'm not against that if it get me in)

Can I write my own letter of assignment?

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Bob

shutterstock.comexternal link

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Jun 2005
La Verne, Cali
Dec 16, 2015 14:40 |  #2

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=567353

In general, a letter of assignment helps to show the value you are bringing to the event. Media passes are provided in exchange for valid media coverage that is valued at a rate equal to or higher than the price of admission. In general, it's bad form to write a 'letter of assignment' to yourself to show you will cover the event, but if you can show value to the event in the letter, then I guess it could work.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Dec 21, 2015 20:30 |  #3

snokid wrote in post #17820501 (external link)
I have been shooting this event I want to cover again this year, but the place that has gotten me credentials has cut that department (they will take my photo's though)

Is there seriously no one there who can sign a letter? They don't even need to write it, you just send them a copy and they sign it.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

1,957 views & 1 like for this thread
Getting an assignment letter?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.