Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 24 Dec 2015 (Thursday) 06:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My first DSLR, Like deja vu all over again.

almo
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
Portland, ME
Dec 24, 2015 06:43 |  #1

A few years ago, after the death of my father, something that had been nagging at me for some time took center stage. I had lost the desire to shoot, and my Canon equipment, a gripped 40D with some L lenses and various other stuff, had just been laying dormant gathering dust. My interests had taken a turn toward other things, so I sold all of it off and invested into my other hobbies, but not being comfortable with no camera at all I bought a mirrorless Olympus and a couple lenses. I still have that, though it never go much use.

So last year some time the photo itch hit me again and I decided to go the Pentax route, having previously owned a K10D for a while and really liked it I decided to get a K20D and some lenses. That has seen much more use than the Oly, but it has never felt quite right, so this Christmas I decided to treat myself and yesterday I ordered a Canon EOS D30. Yeah, you read that right. The 16 year old original DSLR from Canon. It was the first ever DSLR I ever owned, 12 years ago, and I decided it would be neat to get one and play around with it. Maybe it will help me see things the way I did all those years ago. One can only hope.

It should be here on Tuesday. I don't actually own any Canon equipment at this point, so I won't have a lens for it right away, but I just ordered the 40mm f/2.8 STM for it, in white. I hope the wait between camera and lens won't kill me!

Anyway, I'm excited, and just wanted to share it. I just moved to a new state, from Florida to Maine, and I can't wait to start capturing my new home with my old camera!

Here are a couple of my favorite pics from my first D30...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what lens would you use?

sponsored links
2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Dec 26, 2015 21:26 |  #2

Beautiful images. Hope you don't wait long for the lens.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Dec 26, 2015 21:47 |  #3

Heya,

Sounds good. :)

I picked up an old 10D. I feel a lot different when shooting with a relic (relative to today's stuff). Hard to describe. I know it's output isn't as good. So finding content that is interesting is sometimes easier to focus on. Plus, it was $40, so if I break it, drop it, lose it, or just throw it in the ocean to see what kind of splash it makes, who cares, right?

D30 sounds fun. Burn that shutter up!

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

almo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
Portland, ME
Dec 27, 2015 19:53 |  #4

2mnycars wrote in post #17833492 (external link)
Beautiful images. Hope you don't wait long for the lens.

Thanks!

Lens should be here between the 31st and the 5th. I am hoping for sooner than later. I have had the camera for two days and all I can do it look at it.

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what lens would you use?

almo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
Portland, ME
Dec 27, 2015 19:54 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #17833510 (external link)
Heya,

Sounds good. :)

I picked up an old 10D. I feel a lot different when shooting with a relic (relative to today's stuff). Hard to describe. I know it's output isn't as good. So finding content that is interesting is sometimes easier to focus on. Plus, it was $40, so if I break it, drop it, lose it, or just throw it in the ocean to see what kind of splash it makes, who cares, right?

D30 sounds fun. Burn that shutter up!

Very best,

I can't wait to start shooting, and I can as soon as my lens gets here!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 27, 2015 20:45 |  #6

It'll take years to burn that shutter given the amount of lag between shots! lol

I am intrigued by your experiment and look forward to following it. I recently sold an EOS D60 that I had used up until this year for shooting IR. So I recall the feel of these "practically film" DSLR bodies.

Just remember, that the D30, despite having an EF-S sensor, was 4 models BEFORE EF-S lenses. No EF-S lens will fit. You must use "full frame: EF Canon lenses.

Of course 3rd party APS-C optics will work and fit just fine :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

almo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
Portland, ME
Dec 28, 2015 04:38 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #7

Yeah, I am fully aware of the D30's specifics. It was my first DSLR. I can't wait to get using it. It looks all sad sitting over there with no lenses to play with.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,743 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Dec 30, 2015 19:38 |  #8

These days it seems amazing what those early sensors could do. No these "OLD" cameras don't have all the tekkie stuff that we get hung up on these days but the D30 is a solid camera and takes good images - enjoy!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

nutbolt
193 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Greensboro, NC
Feb 12, 2016 15:16 |  #9

Love it.....

I shoot with a 12 yr old D300 (6MP Monster) and it STILL throws out good images despite my cluelessness in general. It has about 17K clicks on it... Been dropped, eaten up with deet, rained on, thrown around in the camper, left in the hot sun - you name it. Even knawed on by a marmot. Still works like a champ.

Hope you enjoy the "relic".....I still do! :-P

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/nutbolt65external link

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,743 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Feb 12, 2016 15:44 as a reply to nutbolt's post |  #10

A friend of mine has a 20D with well over 250,000 clicks on it - it a'int no relic! She still shoots excellent images with it and her landscapes make my 1DX look crap! Of course it couldn't possibly be the photographer? Could it???????

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

3,496 views & 6 likes for this thread
My first DSLR, Like deja vu all over again.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.