Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 24 Dec 2015 (Thursday) 15:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wwyd? Photographer lost all images.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,937 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 25, 2015 05:42 |  #16

Because of the 5d3 SD speed, I picked up the 7d2 so that where I need fast bursts, I use it, else portraits of the wedding part etc, I use the 5d3. I don't do weddings much, but I already can see those benefits, and the iso management is good enough.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Mark_ms
124 posts
Joined May 2013
NY, Vermont Border
Dec 25, 2015 08:24 |  #17

Taywilson wrote in post #17831376 (external link)
I was married on October 22nd in phx az, I live in Idaho.

I am a photographer myself and I never even thought this could happen.

She lost the photos, everything.

She posted one sneak peek and then another which I believe is an edited video still from her husbands camera.

I sent an email once we received no images within her set time frame. I received an email days later stating that her drive failed and all images were lost. She claims to have sent the drive to two data recovery centers and no luck as far as getting them back. I advised her to also send her SD card as well.

She plans to refund me via her insurance and has offered her time to reshoot our day... if I pay for everything all over again. I personally cannot pay for anything, we have been together and saved for 10 years for this.

In the contract it states that in the event that images are lost within or beyond her control, she is only going to do a refund.

What would you do?

Excuse my ignorance here but, the two highlighted sentences do not make sense to me, maybe someone could enlighten me.

Why do you have to wait for her "insurance" to pay? Refund should be immediate as far as I am concerned.

You told her to also send her SD card what else was she using? to me this indicates she was using multiple types of storage devices.

Gear: yeah I have some...

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Dec 25, 2015 11:12 |  #18

"also send SD" ie: in addition to the hard drives. If the data on the drives is lost, why not get the data off of the cards. Again, likely because the photog is not really trying.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Dec 25, 2015 11:24 |  #19

i'm another that thinks the photog has not done much to try to recover the data.

but go back farther, and it is true the data should have never been lost in the first place.

I wonder if this person is actually a professional, or just someone who dumped some money into a camera. I wonder if her images just stink and she doesn't have the guts to provide a bunch of terrible work?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,906 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Dec 25, 2015 11:29 |  #20

Ask for copies of correspondences with the data recovery services as proof.

Mark_ms
124 posts
Joined May 2013
NY, Vermont Border
Dec 25, 2015 12:07 |  #21

....maybe we are being trolled.....:eek:

Gear: yeah I have some...

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
NJ, USA
Dec 27, 2015 08:49 |  #22

RAID is not a backup, its a redundancy dependent on a controller remaining functional.

If you had a Drobo in RAID-1, you could not remove a drive and read it independently. Or any other RAID box for that matter. A backup is identical copies stored separately and in different locations.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 27, 2015 20:34 |  #23

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #17833854 (external link)
RAID is not a backup, its a redundancy dependent on a controller remaining functional.

If you had a Drobo in RAID-1, you could not remove a drive and read it independently. Or any other RAID box for that matter. A backup is identical copies stored separately and in different locations.

If you are referring to my post, please read it again. You apperently missed about 85% of what it said.

DROBO is not a real RAID 1 controller either fyi. DROBO itself goes out of it's way to clarify this.
DROBO, like my own post, also goes out of it's way to state that it's "BeyondRAID" technology "protects data against a hard disk crash, yet is simple enough for anyone to use. As long as you have more than a single disk in Drobo, all data on Drobo is safe no matter which hard disk fails."

FYI, I donlt know if what yousay about needing a DROBO controller to read the data off half of RAID 1 is true, maybe it is hard to get that data back, maybe not. If so, unlike DROBO's proprietary "BeyondRAID" Most real RAID 1 arrays = two hard drives that are fully readable on any most controller with the correct software. If one fails, the other is not only readable on the controller that it is installed, no loss in productivity, but if for some reson you lose the controller, you can put that still working drive in a USB removable etc, and pull the data off on another system.

All that said, I concur that RAID is not a backup!

As I stated in my initial post re: RAID, I'll repeat;

IF the "wedding pro" had transferred the cards to a RAID 1 array, even if the catastrophe occurred in the moments/hours/days before a "real back up" had been done, the remaining hard drive in the RAID 1 array would have kept the data for a future back up.

Anyway, we are on the same page re back up. I just think you may have misread my point on where the actual advantage of RAID 1 lies. I've had RAID 1 save my bacon more than once, and it's kept me working when I would have had to stop dead in my tracks on a few occasions as well. Combined with a good back up and off site, it is one of the most cost effective ways to keep you working when hard drive fails.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
Joined Mar 2011
Dec 29, 2015 12:11 |  #24

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17832042 (external link)
I wonder if this person is actually a professional, or just someone who dumped some money into a camera. I wonder if her images just stink and she doesn't have the guts to provide a bunch of terrible work?

i'm not so sure, i think even if the pics turned out terrible the photog would turn them over, saying you dont have anything easily opens you up to litigation, having a client who is unhappy with the results prove in court you didn't do their job because you dont like the pictures is harder to do.

personally, i dont think she has tried to recover the data. hard drive failures are easy to recover but expensive like it was mentioned, if she has insurance she better be exploring that option. I'd ask for receipts as well.

you can actually make some demands despite the contract because a judge will most likely make her prove that she took "reasonable" steps to secure the data or attempt to recover it. You may wish to seek a lawyer to further this along in court.

I'd request all recovery receipts, take her refund and let her recreate the formals as she offered but she bears the expense of the tux rental, dress cleaning, hair and makeup, not you.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
Joined Mar 2011
Dec 29, 2015 12:12 |  #25

fwiw, amazon has unlimited online storage backup for a year for $10 right now.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Dec 29, 2015 12:59 |  #26

How were the photos lost? Was it negligence? An accident beyond her control? It may make a difference how much her insurance is willing to pay. Also, her contract may not be bullet proof.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
Dec 29, 2015 15:30 |  #27

Sorry that happen to you, I had a problem like that when I first got my 1DX took the pictures at a event, but I had my camera set to not to mirror each compact card, you got it one of them crashes and I lost half of the pictures, from then on I always have my camera set to mirror each card in the camera, that way is one goes down I have the another will have a full back up. I had to learn the hard way.

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links

4,403 views & 4 likes for this thread
Wwyd? Photographer lost all images.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.