Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 27 Dec 2015 (Sunday) 14:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking of a Macro Lens...

cole4570
Joined May 2014
Montana
Dec 27, 2015 14:12 |  #1

I have been tossing around the idea of a Macro lens. I have been looking at the Sigma 105mm macro and the Canon 100 USM (non L) Has anyone had any use the Sigma? Is not having IS a big issue in Macro. Thanks Cole

Be Better today than Yesterday, strive to Be better Tomorrow than today
Flikr: https://flic.kr/ps/2TN​QqE (external link) http://chasingthewildo​utdoors.zenfolio.com (external link)
Gear: Canon 7Dii | Canon T3i/600D | Canon 5Dii | Canon 24-105L | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS II | Canon 55-250 EF-S IS STM | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 C | Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Yongnuo YN-565

sponsored links
NEPhotoguy
Joined May 2015
Chelmsford, MA
Dec 27, 2015 18:36 |  #2

Save yourself some money. Get a Vivitar (Pheonix) 100mm 3.5 Macro

It works, It's cheap, cheap, cheap and it's sharp sharp sharp. That's all you need.

http://www.photography​review.com ...ro/prd_84631_3111cr​x.aspx (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.
Dec 27, 2015 18:45 |  #3

cole4570 wrote in post #17834196 (external link)
I have been tossing around the idea of a Macro lens. I have been looking at the Sigma 105mm macro and the Canon 100 USM (non L) Has anyone had any use the Sigma? Is not having IS a big issue in Macro. Thanks Cole

Heya,

Depends on what you need and what you're doing.

Do you need AF?
Do you use lighting (flash)?
Are you shooting with ambient light only?
Are you wanting to blend with ambient and flash?
Are you doing this hand-held?
Are you planning on using a rail and setting up on a tripod?
Are you doing this inside?
Doing this outside?
What are your macro goals?
What subjects do you think you'll photograph the most?

And there's more questions really.

But that should get you started. Without knowing anything, if the Sigma 105 OS is an option, I'd get it. Or the Tamron 90 VC. Otherwise, the 100L. Stabilization is not needed, but it's very helpful and opens doors to different methods and techniques if you're handholding. Some swear by it. I got along fine without it for years. Now I have stabilization and I like it as it allows me to get my shutter slower, to drag it, to blend more ambient light into my flash work during the day. I like that.

If you're shooting with no flash and purely ambient, get stabilization.

If you're shooting purely ambient light, add flash. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Dec 27, 2015 21:55 |  #4

I've got the 100L IS and love it, but it's the only macro lens I've got. I've also used it for close up birds, and portraits. I do hand hold shots with it too, so the IS does help there.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

Nelvick
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 30, 2015 16:44 |  #5

I also own the Canon 100mm L IS the new one. Is a wonderful lens, allow you take pictures as slow as 1/40s hand taken and looks sharp, with 2.8 aperture is very clear in low light situation and also for portraits photography is wonderful. Do i forget mention is sharp like a razor blade ?

Nelvick
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 30, 2015 16:47 |  #6

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Dec 30, 2015 17:31 |  #7

Oh man, this is one of the few times in photography where I say "just do it". The macro world is almost limitless in it's interesting things to shoot; when I get really bored with photography, I take the macro lens out for a shoot in order to reinvigorate my interest and creativity.

As was mentioned by others above, the 100mm variety macros double as awesome portrait lenses too. If you have the financial room, go with the 100L IS. The IS is useful all around, allowing you to shoot in lower light and aids in hand held macro shooting to an extent. If you are wanting to do dedicated macro on a tripod/macro rail/ring flash, go with the non-L 100mm macro.

flickrexternal link

Trad59
40 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Australia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Trad59.
Jan 01, 2016 22:56 |  #8

Echo others comments on 100L. Beautiful lens for macro, still life / mid tele. As a once Canon 6D, now Sony A7ii shooter, I've kept this lens for good reason. Being able to focus from infinity to macro with finesse and a high degree of acuity makes this a very versatile tool in the bag.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jan 01, 2016 23:19 |  #9

I bought the non-L, took some shots, realized I needed IS, and returned it the next day for the L. I'm glad I did. The reasons are mostly as stated by others - IS is very useful, especially when you are not in macro range - but even at macro distances IS helps.

I use the lens mostly for macro (as opposed to portrait, etc) and I usually use flash with macro. The IS is still useful for steadying the viewfinder image to help with composing and focusing.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Dalantech.
Jan 02, 2016 16:41 |  #10

If the primary light source is natural light then get a long focal length lens. If the primary light source is going to be a flash then get a short focal length lens. You'll have to get the flash / diffuser close to the subject to get good light, so a short focal length lens will work best. Honestly I cannot recommend lenses in the 100mm range because they seem to be a jack of all trades but a master of none. Too short for natural light, and too long for a flash unless you get the flash out past the lens. If anyone tells you that a short focal length lens isn't a "bug lens"...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5777/22090031715_7ea40875da_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zE2b​PM] (external link)Finger Fed Bumblebee (external link) by John Kimbler (external link), on Flickr

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens with 25mm of extension (1.7x) + a diffused MT-24EX (flash head "A" set as the key and "B" as the fill, both on the Canon flash mount). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. I am the "finger model".

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Jan 03, 2016 13:28 |  #11

I"m also thinking of a macro lens, mostly I'd be using it for flowers, I think they would be good for that. So I've been poking around a little bit looking at a few options - At Amazon you can pick up a new Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro for $338, looks like a bit of a sale, anyone have experience with that thing? It does say first available in 2001, so 14 years old, not sure if lens design has changed that much since then. The L lens you guys talk about sounds great, but I'm not up for spending that much on a macro lens.

Flickrexternal link

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jan 03, 2016 13:48 |  #12

patrick j wrote in post #17842842 (external link)
I"m also thinking of a macro lens, mostly I'd be using it for flowers, I think they would be good for that. So I've been poking around a little bit looking at a few options - At Amazon you can pick up a new Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro for $338, looks like a bit of a sale, anyone have experience with that thing? It does say first available in 2001, so 14 years old, not sure if lens design has changed that much since then. The L lens you guys talk about sounds great, but I'm not up for spending that much on a macro lens.

The Tokina has quite a good review at photozone.de. Also keep in mind that one usually stops down to f/11 or thereabouts for macro work, where diffraction softening kicks in, tending to equalize the sharpness of all lenses.

I have never used this lens, so can't comment directly, but anyway the personal experience of strangers on forums doesn't count for much IMO compared to the assessments of experts at the well-known review sites.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Alveric. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 03, 2016 13:54 |  #13

The Tokina sux: I had one and it had focus shift, and at normal/long distances to boot. Ended up replacing it with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS. Also, the Tokina has a barrel that extends/retracts with focusing: these barrels are a no-no if you're thinking of using a ring flash, as the weight of the flash might wreck the lens.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Jan 03, 2016 15:07 |  #14

Opinions vary I guess. A used Canon 100 can be picked up on Ebay for about the same as a new Tokina, maybe that's the way to go.

Flickrexternal link

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011
San Dimas, CA
Jan 07, 2016 12:07 |  #15
banned

cole4570 wrote in post #17834196 (external link)

I agree on the idea of Sigma; I disagree on the 105mm.

IMO, the Sigma 180mm offers more features/advantages/be​nefits than any other macro lens on the market.

Take a moment to read my review (external link) when you get the chance.

Good luck,

Jack

PS: While rating the Sigma 180 #1, I rate the Sigma 105 #8, so I am by no means brand-biased.

sponsored links

6,620 views & 7 likes for this thread
Thinking of a Macro Lens...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.