Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 28 Nov 2015 (Saturday) 09:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Time To Upgrade Not Sure What To Buy

travln1
48 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by travln1. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 28, 2015 09:05 |  #1

Yes, another upgrade question. My xti is well loved and needs to be upgraded. I have debated back and forth about switching to a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 and Sony RX100 iii combo or keeping my L lenses and upgrading. I would also add an 85L to my stash.

I travel on cruises to Alaska fairly often and I'm a whale watcher. If/when I upgrade my Canon, I will also upgrade to a longer lens, too. The 70-200 isn't quite long enough for those shots I'd like to get, even from a small 6 person boat. I also take photos of my 9 year old often, particularly during soccer, at the beach, the pumpkin patch, and for portraits. I've also shot at dog agility trials, mostly outdoors, and once in a while an indoor dog show. I prefer natural light and I honestly can't remember the last time I took out my flash. I'm also our family's wedding photographer (even when a photographer is hired).

The Sony will likely end up as part of my stash, simply to have a small point and shoot that will live in my purse for those unexpected moments I may need a camera and for places like amusement parks where I don't want to lug around a large camera. The Panasonic was a possibility, because it would provide an easy travel camera without the need to carry so much gear with a decent zoom and video capability. And then I think about the quality of photos and go back to Canon.

So, I've considered the 7D, but know it's not a portrait lens. The 5DIII is out of my budget range for now and the size of it really is too big for my hands. I'm certainly not a professional photographer, but I have had worked published in magazines on occasion. I do not blow up images larger than 8x10. Most of my images are for print. I do share my images online, too.

No small order here! I would appreciate your thoughts! Thank you.

Sony: a6000, 70-200 f4, 50 f1.8, 35 f1.8, 3.5/30 macro, 55-210, 16-50

sponsored links
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,587 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Jan 08, 2016 11:46 |  #2

Buying a camera body is like marrying a bride with an extended family. You are pretty well stuck with that family (metaphor = lenses and accessories) because getting a divorce can become quite expensive.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,641 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jan 08, 2016 12:19 |  #3

I, just a couple of months ago upgraded from my well used xti to a 1dmkiii. Cost me under $500 which allowed me to pick up a Canon refurbished 24-70 lens. Check out the For Sale threads as you can get many Pro bodies that put the xti to shame for an affordable price. I always thought the xti did a great job, and it did, but the 1d blows it away. In a couple more years I will upgrade to another used body and won't regret it.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,227 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2016 18:06 |  #4

travln1 wrote in post #17799209 (external link)
So, I've considered the 7D, but know it's not a portrait lens. The 5DIII is out of my budget range for now and the size of it really is too big for my hands. I'm certainly not a professional photographer, but I have had worked published in magazines on occasion. I do not blow up images larger than 8x10. Most of my images are for print. I do share my images online, too.

No small order here! I would appreciate your thoughts! Thank you.

Any camera is a portrait camera... In fact if you are controlling the scene for portraits, it is one of the easiest things (technically, not creatively) to shoot over about anything else. An 85L on a 7D would be outstanding.

What is your budget?

How about an SL1? It shares the same basic sensor as the 7D, and is very travel friendly, with a touch screen. It is also very inexpensive.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

travln1
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by travln1.
Jan 09, 2016 22:49 |  #5

Thank you both for your replies. After a friend showed me the Sony a6000, I've made the switch. Debating whether or not to sell my Canon gear. My biggest reason (and I know the a6000 is not the top of the line that Sony has, but I really like it) for switching is the small-ness. I have arthritis and I couldn't get over how much easier it was to hold.

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Jan 18, 2016 21:05 |  #6

travln1 wrote in post #17851881 (external link)
Thank you both for your replies. After a friend showed me the Sony a6000, I've made the switch. Debating whether or not to sell my Canon gear. My biggest reason (and I know the a6000 is not the top of the line that Sony has, but I really like it) for switching is the small-ness. I have arthritis and I couldn't get over how much easier it was to hold.

A friend of mine has the A6000, I played around with it a bit. Nice little camera. Was actually surprised by all it did for the pricepoint!

I'm in a similar boat. Only I'm considering the jump to Nikon from Canon. Luckily I'm not to invested in canon. Only 1 lens of any value. My macro which I know I can easily enough sell here if I do make the switch. So nothing to do now but research my options. And mull over my findings for months, till I have the money for something!

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

travln1
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Apr 13, 2016 05:21 as a reply to Cormac's post |  #7

I absolutely love the a6000. Lens choices are improving and I now have something lightweight that suits my needs just fine. I'm not a professional, I just do this as a hobby, so sometimes it's not about the biggest and the best equipment. It's what works for you. I also picked up the Panasonic FZ1000. Mostly for the video zoom while on vacation. Not sure if I like it yet.

sponsored links

1,912 views & 1 like for this thread
Time To Upgrade Not Sure What To Buy
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.