Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 30 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 19:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Strobe Recommendation...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 09, 2016 16:21 |  #16

LincsRP wrote in post #17851462 (external link)
As you have a 6D and 5D I'd go without any strobes etc. A static subject shouldn't pose too much problem but you will have to shoot a lot of frames to pick the one with the minimum of blinkers.

5 frames a second for about 5 seconds should get you a frame with minimum blinkers and without the hassle of strobes. Strobes make folks blink and 70 peeps in the frame is going to be a nightmare without a lot of experience.

Cleaning up noise is going to be easier than dealing with strobe shadows. Shoot cleanley exposing to the right if you're a raw shooter .

As long as you are happy with dark eye sockets that would be an option.

sponsored links
LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jan 09, 2016 17:39 as a reply to gonzogolf's post |  #17

Dark eye sockets come from overhead lights and really is this relevent?

The OP equipment is the key. The 6D is a capable camera and used as such can capture 70 folks easily.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 09, 2016 17:43 |  #18

LincsRP wrote in post #17851551 (external link)
Dark eye sockets come from overhead lights and really is this relevent?

The OP equipment is the key. The 6D is a capable camera and used as such can capture 70 folks easily.

The sun is often overhead.

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Jan 09, 2016 17:53 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #17851559 (external link)
The sun is often overhead.

From my first post:

"I've got a shoot coming up in about three weeks. It's going to be about 70 people, photographed outdoors while it's still light, but after the sun has gone down. "

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 09, 2016 17:58 |  #20

Road Dog wrote in post #17851565 (external link)
From my first post:

"I've got a shoot coming up in about three weeks. It's going to be about 70 people, photographed outdoors while it's still light, but after the sun has gone down. "

You are still going to want directional light into the faces.

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Jan 09, 2016 18:05 |  #21

gonzogolf wrote in post #17851569 (external link)
You are still going to want directional light into the faces.

Sure, but an overhead sun isn't going to be much of a factor...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by nathancarter.
Jan 11, 2016 08:29 |  #22

Have you scouted the location where you're going to shoot? Are the subjects going to be facing into the sunset, or will the sun be behind them?

What's the weather going to be like on the day of the shoot? A nice golden-hour sunset, or overcast and blue? Hopefully not raining.

How often do you you shoot during that brief window after sunset? Know that that light will go away FAST, especially trying to manage 70 people.

Tell people to start arriving an hour before sunset, start arranging people half an hour before sunset, take the shot right at sunset. A cheap megaphone will be extremely useful - maybe you can shout loudly, but the megaphone gives you a different quality of voice that'll help you stand out from the din.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Feb 22, 2016 17:16 |  #23

70 people isn't going to be a work of art photo. I would crank the ISO and shoot a ton of frames and pick the best one. Shoot from above if you can, it makes it a lot easier with large groups. Swap heads as needed. Here's a one of mine. 110 kids. 2 strobes bounced because I could but if they're looking up you won't need to worry about dark eye sockets.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

All natural. Kind of dim as well. Much smaller group though.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by ksbal. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 23, 2016 08:31 |  #24

Link is right.. don't shoot only one frame.. shoot 10 or 20 or so... makes it much easier to find a good face for everyone.

the only way I see 1 strobe or one speedlight lighting up 70 people is to bounce it off the wall/ceiling corner behind you, with the iso cranked up.

That will produce better results, at least I think it will, for taking pictures with only the light after the sun sets though. But, there are times you don't have that option.

Otherwise, you are going to have to crank the 6D iso and at least have them facing in the direction of the setting sun, IMHO.

I mean, I guess you could pull a couple cars around and splash them with headlights, but that isn't a very pretty look... :) :-P

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links

6,476 views & 0 likes for this thread
Strobe Recommendation...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.