Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Jan 2016 (Monday) 10:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to get started??

D-Noc
161 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 12, 2016 05:23 |  #16

I would rather recommend starting out by getting the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.
It's 9.99 USD per month and for that price you get the latest versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop.

I started out using Gimp, then Canon DPP and Paint Shop Pro, but it was when I switched to Lightroom (I use this for 95% of my editing) and Photoshop (Only for some rare editing) that I really started to notice a great leap in the quality of the images that I edited. Of course some of the improvements are also because I got better at taking pictures, but still I would not hesitate to recommend Lightroom.

My Flickr page (external link) | My Photo Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
4,865 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 12, 2016 06:59 |  #17

I learned Lightroom the way an earlier poster suggested. I sat down and started using all the sliders.

I had previously tried watching tutorials but they all explained what the sliders did... none of them seemed to explain why I would want to use them. So I sat down and used them all and watched what they did creatively together and apart so that I could understand why I would want to use them. The neat thing about Lightroom is that its parametric editing system means that nothing you do affects the original RAW file (unless you select the Delete command). Everything can be changed or undone/reset so playing around with sliders is zero risk. The ability to create Virtual Copies also means you can try multiple different editing approaches without filling your HD with massive files.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

silvermesa1
118 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by silvermesa1. (2 edits in all)

Jan 12, 2016 07:32 |  #18

I am new to photo processing as well. I looked online at recommended sources for lightroom and a number of folks recommended George Jardine at http://mulita.com/blog​/ (external link)

I decided for myself that Lightroom was a good place to start in that I needed a way to both store and organize my photos as well as post process.

I bought the 3 pack dvd set that George sells that include "The Lightroom 4&5 Library", "The Develop Module", and " Image Correction Master Class". He is very detailed and there are appx. 40 tutorials on the first two dvd's mentioned above that are 20-40 minutes long per each tutorial. So the information is very detailed.

For me, I see this as a project that will take some time to learn but if i put in the time a little at a time, I look forward to great progress.

Good Luck whatever you choose. Lot's of good ways to learn out there.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,456 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2016 08:09 |  #19

If you like video training, I find the Lynda training site to be extremely helpful. I highly recommend Chris Orwig's series on Lightroom.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

D-Noc
161 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 12, 2016 08:39 |  #20

Andrew S. Gibson also have a nice collection of eBooks on Lightroom: http://www.andrewsgibs​on.com/blog/mastering-lightroom/ (external link)

I have only read the first four in the series, but they give a nice guided tour of the features in Lightroom.

My Flickr page (external link) | My Photo Blog (external link)

marsh9077
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 12, 2016 12:38 |  #21

silvermesa1 wrote in post #17855009 (external link)
I am new to photo processing as well. I looked online at recommended sources for lightroom and a number of folks recommended George Jardine at http://mulita.com/blog​/ (external link)

I decided for myself that Lightroom was a good place to start in that I needed a way to both store and organize my photos as well as post process.

I bought the 3 pack dvd set that George sells that include "The Lightroom 4&5 Library", "The Develop Module", and " Image Correction Master Class". He is very detailed and there are appx. 40 tutorials on the first two dvd's mentioned above that are 20-40 minutes long per each tutorial. So the information is very detailed.

For me, I see this as a project that will take some time to learn but if i put in the time a little at a time, I look forward to great progress.

Good Luck whatever you choose. Lot's of good ways to learn out there.

Did you find the DVD's helped a lot or do you think you could have figured most things out on your own just by playing with it?

marsh9077
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 12, 2016 12:40 |  #22

Also one other thing, should I be shooting in RAW as I have no editing experience. In the past all I have done is shot in jpeg and delete the ones I don't like and keep/print the ones I like.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2016 12:41 |  #23

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17854995 (external link)
I learned Lightroom the way an earlier poster suggested. I sat down and started using all the sliders.

I had previously tried watching tutorials but they all explained what the sliders did... none of them seemed to explain why I would want to use them. So I sat down and used them all and watched what they did creatively together and apart so that I could understand why I would want to use them. The neat thing about Lightroom is that its parametric editing system means that nothing you do affects the original RAW file (unless you select the Delete command). Everything can be changed or undone/reset so playing around with sliders is zero risk. The ability to create Virtual Copies also means you can try multiple different editing approaches without filling your HD with massive files.

And also chose the Delete from disk option, rather than the Remove from catalogue. So it is quite hard to to anything bad to your images in LR that is permanent. That reset button is a brilliant thing to have, hit it and everything is back to defaults.

I too love the options that VC's give you, they are the one thing that you don't get if you use Bridge/ACR as your image management and RAW processing system. ACR allows you to use Snapshots to have quick access to multiple different processing settings, but it's not nearly as flexible as VC's in LR. I don't know why Bridge could not do similar, all it would take is having multiple .xmp sidecar files for an image, with each one having a different set of processing settings.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,878 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 12, 2016 12:47 |  #24

marsh9077 wrote in post #17855365 (external link)
Also one other thing, should I be shooting in RAW as I have no editing experience. In the past all I have done is shot in jpeg and delete the ones I don't like and keep/print the ones I like.

Shot raw+jpeg. That way as your editing skills improve and you have an image you want to cook more, you have the raw file to work with. A lot can be done with jpeg images but a lot more with raw.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,988 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2016 12:54 |  #25

marsh9077 wrote in post #17855365 (external link)

I would start with lightroom. I love photoshop but I started before lightroom was available and I now find myself doing things in LR that I isued to do in PS. You can always add PS when ligjtroom starts to limit you.

silvermesa1
118 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 12, 2016 21:05 |  #26

marsh9077 wrote in post #17855361 (external link)
Did you find the DVD's helped a lot or do you think you could have figured most things out on your own just by playing with it?

Well I think it depends on the person.

I'm 51 years old and just getting back into photography after being away for 25 years. I'm average with computers in general and a B student in college.
For me I cant imagine learning this without some type of help whether it is a book or dvd or classes. Other people who are really computer savvy with a photographic memory could probably just pick this up.

In regards to the dvd's I purchased I am pleased with them but I have not viewed some of the other options that could be great also. I will admit I have spent way more time just going thru these tutorials than I thought I would. I see this as a several year journey learning how to post process.

sponsored links

2,710 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to get started??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.