Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 27 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 12:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

T2i Upgrade -> 7d ii best AF anywhere?

denzlite
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Jan 27, 2016 12:25 |  #1

Finally time to upgrade my old T2i/550d. Wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to 7d Mark ii - the autofocus is what I'm most interested in. I think I'd rather have great autofocus that just about any other feature at this point.

I've got a 2 yo with another on the way - and I need lightening fast AF. I've missed so so many pics with my 2yo. I also have invested in EF-S glass (17-55 and 24 pankake).

For a long time I was convinced I wanted a lighter cam and was looking at Fuji mirrorless. Well I got an XT-1 for work/portraits/misc and although the IQ is gorgeous with a 35/1.4 - the AF is absolute poop. I'm so glad I kept my T2i - cause unless I'm peepin I can't really tell much of a difference on most pics. Although some pics are incredible, The XT-1 cannot keep up with children at all - glad all I need it for at work is people sitting still.

So I'm wondering whether I should upgrade at all? Aside from AF points, what would be the biggest plus so I can convince the wife?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 27, 2016 12:31 |  #2

Heya,

I easily manual focus my 2 year old running in the yard with a manual 85mm F1.4 at F1.4. Not trying to be cheeky, but, you're not missing shots because the AF is weak. It's more likely how you're using it. 2 year olds don't move fast. What they do fast, however, is change facial expressions lightning fast, and that's not an AF issue, that's a timing issue. I get a lot more shots of my daughter that are wall hangers just by anticipating a micro-expression change and taking an image before, instead of waiting for it to happen and pass within half a second, and more often get the shot that way.

I've used my 5D, 1D II, 7D, etc, with my daughter. They all keep up just fine in servo with center point.

The real question is, are you trying to focus with your outer points with yout T2i? Or are you just center point and recomposing? Or what? Where is the AF really letting you down?

If you want a 7D2, by all means, get one.

But realistically, you current T2i should be able to keep up with a 2 year old, let alone any kid really. I have a T4i as well, and it tracks fine. Took most of her baby photos with it actually.

My slowest to focus camera is my EOS-M. That thing is slow.

If you just want a lighting autofocus camera, without the $1200 price tag, get a 7D for $450. All the FPS you could want. All the AF aggressiveness you could want. For the cost of a cheap camera, yet it's a prosumer very good body.

If you want to convince your wife that you need the 7D2, just describe how you're going to take images with on hand hanging upside down from the monkey bars with the sprinklers on with the kids, and in your spare time, bird for falcons in flight. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Jan 27, 2016 12:45 |  #3

With young kids the frames per second can help too. Most kids don't hold still long enough for you to catch the right facial expression. Taking a short burst will often help.

Also the upgrade in ISO will help. When your kids are in school and church programs you can't get a camera with too much light sensitivity. Often times a flash can not be used and then you will be glad you have the 7d2.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

BlackParrot
186 posts
Joined May 2013
Phila Burbs
Jan 27, 2016 13:02 |  #4

I have to agree with Mal. Based on my very limited experience, I've been shooting equestrian jumping events for about 2 years using a T3i and more often than not a 55-250.
My keeper rate is well over 80%, and misses are usually my fault. Using Servo and the center point, I can time the jumps and use single shot instead of burst. The Rebel can be a pretty effective tool!

If you just want a new body (and I don't blame you), I've heard the AF on the MkII is pretty damn impressive! haha
Good luck!

1D Mk3 | Tamron SP 35/1.8 VC | Tamron SP 85/1.8 VC
Flickr (external link)

denzlite
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Jan 27, 2016 15:46 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #5

Yes maybe I don't know how to focus - you're saying servo with center point here?

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Jan 27, 2016 17:58 |  #6

AI Servo + Back button focussing is key

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

BlackParrot
186 posts
Joined May 2013
Phila Burbs
Jan 31, 2016 15:59 as a reply to denzlite's post |  #7

With EQ I shoot Servo with Center Point. I'm not one for back button, but that's just me.

1D Mk3 | Tamron SP 35/1.8 VC | Tamron SP 85/1.8 VC
Flickr (external link)

WaterBoy2090
Joined Jun 2014
Sydney, Australia
Jan 31, 2016 20:57 |  #8

I upgraded from the 550D to the 7D mkII, as I was 'missing' with young daughter, and frankly wanted a better airshow body.

The ISO ability, AF speed, accuracy & options, as well as the superior camera ergonomics make the 7D2 a joy to use.

The downside is its weight & size, which are significantly greater than the 550D, which is worth considering, as is the much more complex menu & controls which do take some studying.

Personally I'm very happy with my upgrade decision, and so far my wife is too!

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Indiana
Jan 31, 2016 23:29 |  #9

While I used my 550D with Servo and back button focusing, I quickly found that there's a lot more to capturing moving subjects than just putting the AF point on it and mashing down the button.

You really need a feel for how the camera acquires and maintains focus - how quickly it can lock, how finicky you have to be in keeping the AF point on target, how rapidly it can switch targets (sometimes without you intending it to). The only way is to practice a LOT with your intended subjects and be consistent when you make a change in either the camera settings or your capture style. The 550D doesn't have much configurability in AF, which means you'll be adapting your style to its quirks.

I migrated to the 7D, then the 7D2, and found noticeable improvement in AF capability each time. I also found that I had to approach the concept of autofocus anew when changing bodies. The 7D is moderately configurable, and 7D2 more so. In each case, I had to understand what the camera was doing when I changed a setting, then decide if I'd improved the situation or made it worse. With the 7D2, I believe I finally grasp the meaning of all the settings, and how they interact with my style. For example, I had to set the tracking sensitivity to the absolute lowest in order that the AF point didn't slip off to the background or other high contrast items while I was tracking. Remember, the AF point is actually noticeably larger than the indicator in the viewfinder and it will surprise you if you don't keep the entire point constantly on the subject. I found that decreasing the sensitivity allowed me to hold the subject much more reliably when it was moving, and minimize the missed focus shots.

After the tweaks, I retroactively changed my 7D settings and lo! it now focuses more reliably as well. The best thing you can do is be sure you are getting the most out of your AF capability before moving to a newer body in the hope it will solve your problems. It may in fact make them worse at first....

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

denzlite
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Feb 01, 2016 10:00 as a reply to GregDunn's post |  #10

Thanks, good advice there...

sponsored links

1,615 views & 2 likes for this thread
T2i Upgrade -> 7d ii best AF anywhere?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.