Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 30 Jan 2016 (Saturday) 21:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

importing directly to lightroom??

ThomasDidymus
Joined Sep 2015
Saint Augustine
Jan 30, 2016 21:41 |  #1

Who does it?
Is it better that using Bridge, then selecting the photos you want?

I have been using bridge and found that I am not editing a lot of the photos that I am taking.

Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens..

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 30, 2016 22:21 |  #2

I use lightroom almost exclusively for my photos. I Import, cull, organize, and edit, all in lightroom.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jan 30, 2016 22:36 |  #3

I don't import directly into LR. I used to, from time to time, but quite often found it to be harder than it should be. The reason is that sometimes I have cards from two or three cameras that need to go into one folder (and sometimes more than one folder). I use LR's default folder naming, but append a description that describes the event or place. All this is hard to accomplish in LR.

LR as of ver 5.7 still has that annoying bug that often gives an error when you try to rename a folder. That never happens in Win Explorer, and that is further reason for fixing folder and file names before importing.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Feb 01, 2016 05:46 |  #4

I directly import in Lr. This way I can select the photos I want, tag them, rename them (usually with the date I took the photo), and apply a default preset of mine at once. It goes very smoothly this way, and by applying a preset of mine during import I sometimes just have to check exposure and that all, my photos are done.

After the import (or imports if there are several camera) I rename the folder with the date and a 2-3 words description.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Feb 03, 2016 22:17 |  #5

I import via Lightroom now. It took me a year or two to figure it out, I had been copying the files via the OS and synchronizing my Lightroom view of my photos folder. That worked but I found that I had been missing a number of features available via Lightroom import like keyboarding, preset application, and others.

I found it difficult to figure out LR import initially so then had to spend some time learning how it works. Now that I understand it I would not use anything else. Spend some time with it and I think you will like it too.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Feb 04, 2016 01:19 |  #6

I import directly into LR from a card reader. I have set up the Import dialogue to apply different presets (I have one for Rugby, one for Street, one for Black and white) and also apply different default Keywords. It is also set to apply a colour label (Green) to all the RAW files as they are imported. Then if I later create a virtual copy I change the label on that to Yellow. If I create a TIFF and bring that back into LR it gets a blue label. I don't generally bother to bring JPEGs back into the catalog (I treat them as disposable files and just delete after posting to the web) but if I do they are red.

The above allows me to see at a glance what format a file is (RAW/Virtual copy/TIFF-PSD/JPEG etc) when viewing the library.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

The ­ Limey
Joined Jan 2006
On my way to Wigan Pier
Feb 04, 2016 04:21 |  #7

i use Scott Kelbys way exturnal hardrive then lightroom

7D,20D,1V.
24-105L.
17-85.4EF-S,50.1.4.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 04, 2016 10:21 |  #8

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17885269 (external link)
I import directly into LR from a card reader. I have set up the Import dialogue to apply different presets (I have one for Rugby, one for Street, one for Black and white) and also apply different default Keywords.

Same.

I have a few different import presets for specific things that I repeat, plus one general preset that's a starting point that I modify as needed. The presets rename the files, add keywords, and put them in the folder directory where I want them. I don't use Lightroom's defaults very much.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

1,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
importing directly to lightroom??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.