Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 06 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 21:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,718 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 01, 2016 16:20 |  #526

nqjudo wrote in post #17881958 (external link)
If the Canon turns out to be spectacular do you have any objections if I start a thread about how Canon is feeding you their lunch?  :p

the thing i don't get is this whole thread was started off of specs...now we have to wait for samples to decide who's feeding lunch to who...:-)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 01, 2016 16:25 |  #527

DreDaze wrote in post #17881978 (external link)
the thing i don't get is this whole thread was started off of specs...now we have to wait for samples to decide who's feeding lunch to who...:-)

Isn't that the way it's suppose to work?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,685 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Feb 01, 2016 16:26 |  #528

Lol. True. There's actually a lot I don't get about this and similar threads. I stopped caring about body upgrades a while ago. If I'm taking bad pictures it isn't because of the ISO, AF or DR limitations of my gear. As far as I'm concerned anyone who is lining up to shell out money for a bunch of marketing hype are all eating someone else's lunch. Or their own lunch. Or whatever... I'm not sure anymore! ;-)a

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

frankchn
455 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Feb 01, 2016 16:30 |  #529

nqjudo wrote in post #17881990 (external link)
Lol. True. There's actually a lot I don't get about this and similar threads. I stopped caring about body upgrades a while ago. If I'm taking bad pictures it isn't because of the ISO, AF or DR limitations of my gear. As far as I'm concerned anyone who is lining up to shell out money for a bunch of marketing hype are all eating someone else's lunch. Or their own lunch. Or whatever... I'm not sure anymore! ;-)a

I think it is letting Canon or Nikon eat your lunch :)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by johnf3f.
Feb 01, 2016 16:31 |  #530

Then we will have to wait and see how the two new flagship cameras really perform in the wild - 6 months? After that we can realistically make a valid judgement as to which is really better - oops! Then there are the lenses to consider!

As a Canon user, if Nikon wants to feed me my lunch that's fine by me - I don't mind buying the wine! I will, however keep to Canon for my photography unless these new Nikons are as good as they claim, they revise/improve a number of their lenses and dramatically revise/reduce their prices of their SuperTeles. Until then I am happy to dine at Nikon's expense and contribute to Canon's profits.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Feb 01, 2016 16:50 as a reply to nqjudo's post |  #531

I can't say I agree re marketing 'hype'. Changing to the d810 is the best thing I have ever done, the picture quality, ISO and DR is like night and day in compassion to my 5d3. Worth every cent

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Feb 01, 2016 16:58 |  #532

Somebloke wrote in post #17882031 (external link)
I can't say I agree re marketing 'hype'. Changing to the d810 is the best thing I have ever done, the picture quality, ISO and DR is like night and day in compassion to my 5d3. Worth every cent

It might be night and day to you, but most would probably not be able to tell the difference.

The expression "night and day" is hype.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Feb 01, 2016 17:03 as a reply to Somebloke's post |  #533

Thankfully the D810 is a great camera - one of the best? Though not really designed for the same usage as the D5.
Unfortunately it's predecessor was not so hot. A local (ish) well known Pro had to eat his words and switch back to Canon as his two Nikons (800 and D4) were too unreliable and Nikon couldn't make them work (a few years before he had switched from Canon because of the AF on the 1D3 and lack of a 200-400 lens). That's why I put in the caveat about waiting for about 6 months. Not all new cameras are what they are cracked up to be whoever makes them!
Only a little time will tell..........

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Feb 01, 2016 17:21 |  #534

Archibald wrote in post #17882047 (external link)
It might be night and day to you, but most would probably not be able to tell the difference.

Who is 'most'? If you mean general public they probably couldn't tell a iPhone pic from a 1dx...

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,697 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Feb 01, 2016 17:22 |  #535

Archibald wrote in post #17882047 (external link)

the final output may not hold much difference, however if you process a lot of files from both cameras, you will notice the differences. Lets say the final product doesnt show much difference, however, a more satisfying workflow and higher confidence may make it worthwhile. I can say that I have high satisfaction with the raw files I'm working with, and I know I can "make it work" with canon as well.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,685 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Feb 01, 2016 17:25 |  #536

Somebloke wrote in post #17882031 (external link)

Well, the D810 is a great camera for sure. I had one for about 18 months. Personally I preferred the D700 over it for a few reasons and ultimately the 5D3 over the both of them. The best camera is really only the one we think is best for us. What I am speaking to on a larger scale is this nonsense of getting sold the idea that we need better tech to take better pictures and worse, brand loyalty to the point of causing blindness. For myself I just love the 'look' of the 5D3. I get clean images, great colours, and I have no issues with the DR. In fact I rather dislike images without shadows. Everyone with really high DR sensors seem to want to lift all the detail fro the shadows. It just doesn't look pleasing to my eye. To each his or her own I guess. You switched systems and you are satisfied with the change so that's great. The 'best thing you have ever done' though? I really hope not!!! ;)

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Somebloke.
Feb 01, 2016 17:26 as a reply to Charlie's post |  #537

With my d810 I can bring up photos that are nearly black and have next to no noise-the detail in the shadows is just remarkable....plus the detail when cropped...I'm very very happy

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Feb 02, 2016 05:04 |  #538

nqjudo wrote in post #17882094 (external link)
. For myself I just love the 'look' of the 5D3. I get clean images, great colours, and I have no issues with the DR. In fact I rather dislike images without shadows. Everyone with really high DR sensors seem to want to lift all the detail fro the shadows. It just doesn't look pleasing to my eye.

I agree with this shadows thing. Shadows are an essential part of forming an image to a greater or lesser degree. I'm seeing so many folks lifting the shadows and changing the very 'view' of what was actually seen at the time.

Then there are those who rely on high DR to make up for their lack of ability to balance light either with reflectors or fill light on the scene. I wonder how the shares at Lastolite are these days? ;-)a

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 02, 2016 09:28 |  #539

LincsRP wrote in post #17882733 (external link)
I agree with this shadows thing. Shadows are an essential part of forming an image to a greater or lesser degree. I'm seeing so many folks lifting the shadows and changing the very 'view' of what was actually seen at the time.

Then there are those who rely on high DR to make up for their lack of ability to balance light either with reflectors or fill light on the scene. I wonder how the shares at Lastolite are these days? ;-)a

You've never shot landscapes, cityscapes, accidentally underexposed an image, or a subject that is farther than a few feet away?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Eadward
22 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Feb 02, 2016 12:02 |  #540

frankchn wrote in post #17881992 (external link)
I think it is letting Canon or Nikon eat your lunch :)

Yes. And the OP's thread title has it wrong, for what he meant. It would have been Nikon is eating Canon's lunch. If Nikon were feeding its lunch to Canon, that would be an interesting situation.

Now perhaps with the IDX II Canon is back to eating Nikon's lunch.

sponsored links

76,202 views & 414 likes for this thread
Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.