Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 09 Feb 2016 (Tuesday) 01:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Acquaintance of mine is asking if these wedding pictures were OK

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 09, 2016 09:23 |  #16

lilkngster wrote in post #17891332 (external link)
The wedding photos fit in terms of quality and post processing when compared to her posts on FB.

I noticed that most of the links are down on her website and I see a comment dating back to 2011 for a photo that has been pulled. Cannot help but wonder if she had "borrowed" photos and used those in her website to misrepresent her work. Happens a lot and as Peter mentioned, that's where she could run into legal issues. Of course, this could all be related to the ongoing lawsuit, but makes me wonder what she is hiding...

I'm also willing to bet a roll of Ektar 100 that she does not have formal wedding contract.

I hope this does not end up being an expensive lesson in the business of photography for her.

I suppose ANYTHING is possible but I feel that's some really negative speculation about "borrowed" photos. Those sorts of idle rumors can really damage a person's reputation with no actual proof.

Now, I do think it's possible she lacks an adequate contract. But then I would be speculating too without any facts, of which there are few here ;-)a

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links
lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 09, 2016 10:49 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #17

I agree, perhaps harshly negative with limited information from the OP or the photographer, and since my first post, I was able to find some more photos from google, pintrest, and cache, which at least confirms her skill level and her growth over the last few years and that the current photos do fit into her online "portfolio". It also seems as she does not keep up her blog, which might account for the apparent missing links...

But, something does not add up here. I'm trying to connect asking us (random people) and the OP (an acquaintance) to comment on the quality of pictures for the given price and the photog getting sued. I don't expect to get the whole story, but to me, it sounds like she is trying to justify that her work is "OK" enough for the price, almost as a defense that her quality/price is within acceptable community standards. So either the client had the wrong expectations, which is the photographer's responsibility, or the client is seeing an opportunity to pay off some of the wedding expenses, which should have been covered in the contract.

Stuart, you are in the biz (I am not). How would you respond if this was happening to you?

And yes, I have a very vivid imagination, especially when the facts are lacking!

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2016 12:33 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #18

I think you should wait to get the facts instead of making things up...no???

Targ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by Targ. (2 edits in all)

Feb 09, 2016 12:58 |  #19

Brad999 wrote in post #17891685 (external link)
I think you should wait to get the facts instead of making things up...no???

Exactly.

All of the facts I know you know and I was only asking for input of the pictures as the Husband asked other people for feedback.

EDIT:

The photog is not getting sued. The client (Mother) is saying that She does not like the photos and they suspect that the client may be trying to get the fee back.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 09, 2016 14:45 |  #20

lilkngster wrote in post #17891562 (external link)
I agree, perhaps harshly negative with limited information from the OP or the photographer, and since my first post, I was able to find some more photos from google, pintrest, and cache, which at least confirms her skill level and her growth over the last few years and that the current photos do fit into her online "portfolio". It also seems as she does not keep up her blog, which might account for the apparent missing links...

But, something does not add up here. I'm trying to connect asking us (random people) and the OP (an acquaintance) to comment on the quality of pictures for the given price and the photog getting sued. I don't expect to get the whole story, but to me, it sounds like she is trying to justify that her work is "OK" enough for the price, almost as a defense that her quality/price is within acceptable community standards. So either the client had the wrong expectations, which is the photographer's responsibility, or the client is seeing an opportunity to pay off some of the wedding expenses, which should have been covered in the contract.

Stuart, you are in the biz (I am not). How would you respond if this was happening to you?

And yes, I have a very vivid imagination, especially when the facts are lacking!

How would I handle this lilkngster? Well, there are two, maybe three issues here:

1. Actual quality of the actual work done for the client in question. Since we have not seen those specific shots, it is impossible to comment or speculate based upon "other work" shown in a blog. Work should be consistent, but it can vary due to the environment, unexpected conditions beyond the control of the photographer, and willingness/unwillingn​ess of the people to cooperate for group shots, portraits or various activities. We weren't there - we don't know what happened.

2. Unhappiness of the bride's mother. Does she feel she did not get proper value or full service, or is she unhappy with the quality of the work or how SHE APPEARS in the photos? Some folks are really funny about being photographed, regardless of the situation. If they are unhappy with themselves than they are unhappy with EVERYTHING.

This requires a sit-down discussion....not a text, bunch of emails, or tag-you-are-it voicemails. Understanding and sensitivity is required here. It is easy to throw stones from behind electronic communications but once people are face to face the story either changes, or it is adequately explained, to most everybody's satisfaction. We are hoping for the latter here. This does not have to be a lose-lose situation.

3. Inadequate Funds - Perhaps the whole wedding ran over budget and the mom is desperately trying to recoup some of the $$$ somewhere, by any means. I certainly hope this is NOT the case because then that speaks to the character of individual.

Since you are an acquaintance of the OP you seem to have a lot more inside information than the rest of us.

Was there a signed contract involved?
Was it delivered upon?
Were images provided in a timely fashion?
Were instructions followed?
Was everybody on-time, allowing for proper photographic coverage?
Were there any other issues I haven't addressed?

This is simply one of those situations I don't like (and I'm contributing to it) where we are asked to second guess another photographer in the court of public opinion, with inadequate evidence, a worse than thin story, and with no samples of work. Perhaps she in fact did a mediocre job, at worst, but any attacks are unfair to her at this point based on the evidence.

Give me solid facts, not somebody's alleged unhappiness. - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 09, 2016 15:17 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #21

I will be the first to admit that if the original post only talked about price and photos and did not bring up a lawsuit, I would have read and moved on, but I do have some prior indirect experience (wife's friend sued and won damages from her, now ex-wedding photog), so I am a little biased and got a little too excited.

Thanks Stu for taking your time with your response. It doesn't change the yellow light in my head telling me something is not kosher here, but hey that's me.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 09, 2016 21:51 |  #22

lilkngster wrote in post #17891971 (external link)
I will be the first to admit that if the original post only talked about price and photos and did not bring up a lawsuit, I would have read and moved on, but I do have some prior indirect experience (wife's friend sued and won damages from her, now ex-wedding photog), so I am a little biased and got a little too excited.

Thanks Stu for taking your time with your response. It doesn't change the yellow light in my head telling me something is not kosher here, but hey that's me.

Np - I understand. It's easy to get fired up when we see posts that say "client wants to sue photographer." And I agree that there seems to be more going on here than we are led to believe.

GEAR LIST

Orange ­ Elephant
32 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 10, 2016 01:52 |  #23

They are probably just fishing for a discount. The photos look fine & have some good posing ideas, I've seen much much worse from some other togs.

BradWedgewoodPhotography
29 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by BradWedgewoodPhotography.

Feb 10, 2016 08:26 |  #24

The photos are OK, They're not great photos but they are acceptable and exposed properly and they do document the Wedding as they should. I think the client is in the wrong here by blaming the photographer for the fact that they do not like the photos. It comes down to getting what you pay for. It seem they paid $1800 for the wedding but were expecting the quality of a $4000 photographer. Clients like this can cause havoc to a Photographers confidence, they should have hired a photographer in the quality and price range that they were expecting rather than hiring someone they find cheap. PS.... I see many Wedding Photographers charging more money and putting out equal or worse results.

http://www.bradwedgewo​odphotography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/bradwedgewoodphotogr​aphy (external link)
http://www.twitter/bra​dwedgewood (external link)
http://www.pinterest.c​om/bradwedgewoodph/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​bradwedgewoodphotograp​hy (external link)

dosha
112 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 26, 2016 15:24 |  #25

I had the exact same thing happen to me and I was only charging $800 for the wedding/engagement shoot with all images processed and delivered on a flash drive! The mother turns out was a lawyer. She wrote me a letter on her lawyer letterhead 2 months AFTER receiving the images back that she was not happy with the images and that my second shooter did not stay for the entire event like in the contract and she was going to sue for a refund of the entire contract price (my second shooter rode in my car to the event and so I know for a fact she was there the entire time, plus her images showed her there from start to finish).

First of all, the mother did not sign the contract, her daughter did so I did not respond to her letter. Secondly, it turns out she wrote the SAME LETTER to all the vendors and some were scared and refunded the money!!! This was 4 years ago and the daughter who is friends with me on Facebook still posts pictures from her wedding as does her mom!

They even blew up a poster sized picture from the engagement shoot and used it at the wedding.

Mom was a bully looking to get her money back if she could. So unless the person who actually signed the contract is contacting her (or their lawyer), she does not have any legal obligation to respond.

Good luck!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,415 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 26, 2016 20:54 |  #26

Targ wrote in post #17891192 (external link)
That the pictures were not good and that it ruined the wedding experience from what I was told.

They should be dialing whine-one-one.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,895 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 26, 2016 23:59 |  #27

dosha wrote in post #17914084 (external link)
.....the daughter who is friends with me on Facebook still posts pictures from her wedding as does her mom!

They even blew up a poster sized picture from the engagement shoot and used it at the wedding.

All of which would be taken by a court as a clear indication that they did think the photos were good enough.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

drmaxx
908 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by drmaxx.

Feb 27, 2016 04:36 |  #28

Secondly, it turns out she wrote the SAME LETTER to all the vendors and some were scared and refunded the money!!! This was 4 years ago and the daughter who is friends with me on Facebook still posts pictures from her wedding as does her mom!
[...]
Mom was a bully looking to get her money back if she could.

It is embarrassing to see what greed does to people. :cry:
Sorry to hear about your experience and good for you that it turned out o.k. for you.

Donate if you love POTN

Stelvio
165 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 02, 2016 06:36 |  #29

I had the exact same thing happen to me and I was only charging $800 for the wedding/engagement shoot with all images processed and delivered on a flash drive! The mother turns out was a lawyer. She wrote me a letter on her lawyer letterhead 2 months AFTER receiving the images back that she was not happy with the images and that my second shooter did not stay for the entire event like in the contract and she was going to sue for a refund of the entire contract price (my second shooter rode in my car to the event and so I know for a fact she was there the entire time, plus her images showed her there from start to finish).

First of all, the mother did not sign the contract, her daughter did so I did not respond to her letter. Secondly, it turns out she wrote the SAME LETTER to all the vendors and some were scared and refunded the money!!! This was 4 years ago and the daughter who is friends with me on Facebook still posts pictures from her wedding as does her mom!

Mom was a bully looking to get her money back if she could. So unless the person who actually signed the contract is contacting her (or their lawyer), she does not have any legal obligation to respond.

Good luck!

Surely she's defrauded the other vendors out of their fees and as such has committed a crime?

Olympus E-M1 | Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 | Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro AF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Macro Zoom | Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. MEGA OIS / H-FS014042E | Yongnuo YN460 | METZ mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,895 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 02, 2016 06:54 |  #30

Stelvio wrote in post #17920335 (external link)
Surely she's defrauded the other vendors out of their fees and as such has committed a crime?

It's not fraud to express an opinion (your work wasn't good enough). Especially if the vendors agrees and gives back money.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

8,824 views & 19 likes for this thread
Acquaintance of mine is asking if these wedding pictures were OK
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.