Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 28 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 13:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Upgrade PC or get a new one (for 5DsR photos)

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Feb 11, 2016 07:48 |  #31

Here is a very interesting link about CPU performance in Lr: https://www.pugetsyste​ms.com ...lti-Core-Performance-649/ (external link)

In a nutshell, Lr is not yet very multiple cores friendly. It still is much more dependant on the actual core speed rather than the number of cores. It seems that after 4 cores, the gain is very small.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 19, 2016 09:45 |  #32

Reiep wrote in post #17894176 (external link)
Here is a very interesting link about CPU performance in Lr: https://www.pugetsyste​ms.com ...lti-Core-Performance-649/ (external link)

In a nutshell, Lr is not yet very multiple cores friendly. It still is much more dependant on the actual core speed rather than the number of cores. It seems that after 4 cores, the gain is very small.

Very interesting!

I went to a computer store yesterday to select a motherboard and CPU to purchase. The salesman told me I would be better off with a i7-5930 than a i7-6700 because the 5930 has more cores.

I haven't purchased yet.

Gomar
525 posts
Joined Sep 2010
NYC
Feb 19, 2016 18:56 |  #33

KatManDEW wrote in post #17876491 (external link)
My 4-1/2 year old, first generation Core i7-950 PC us struggling with 5DsR raw files, especially HDR's. The system has a Gigabyte motherboard, 24 GB memory

An i7 with 24GB?! And you want to upgrade? Is this a joke?
I am plenty satisfied with a i3 6gb 500gb. If I get a new laptop, it'll be a i7, a desktop perhaps an i5.

alexanderferdinand
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2016
Feb 19, 2016 20:10 |  #34

I don't see a bottleneck either: i7, 24GB RAM- respect!
My recommandation would be the big SSD too.

And if you should ever replace "only" the motherboard: this might need the installation of different drivers, so I recommand a new installation.
And if so- install Win10 instead of 7 to have the latest software for the faster machine.

My 2 cents, and good luck (and light) whatever you do, regards, Alex

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 26, 2016 17:13 |  #35

I got a ASRock 170 Extreme7+. Booted into my existing Windows 7 installation with no problem. Had to install network and USB drivers and such but no big deal.

Added one pair of RAID 1 data drives and they show up as one drive in Windows even though I don't have them setup as RAID in the BIOS. Add a pair of identical new drives, and they show up in the BIOS but I can't figure out how to setup RAID on the motherboard. Look like I have to switch the SATA to RAID mode in the BIOS, but some info I found on the net says if I change the SATA mode after installing the OS I might not be able to boot.

I'm lost on the RAID setup with this motherboard. I've done it on several previous computers.

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by absplastic.
Feb 26, 2016 21:59 |  #36

Submariner wrote in post #17880769 (external link)
I have the same problem with my current system and huge 5DS R files. I have pretty much been ridiculed as I struggled as a novice to design a build that will not disappoint.

Many say I am crazy and dont need anything like the system I am building ....but note none of them have a 5DS R ;)

I wouldn't say you are being ridiculed, but I think people are right to ask for clarification because the system you describe yourself as having should be an absolute beast that eats 5DSR files for breakfast, burps, and says, "is that all you got?" It's better hardware than I have, and my system does not choke on 5DSR files in any way.

The photos from my most recent fashion shoot are all in the range of 53.1 to 63.8 MB RAW files right from the camera. Exported from Lightroom as PSD, they range from 236 to 301 MB, with the most compressible white cyclorama shots being the smallest. I'm using a laptop, which is a Macbook Pro Mid-2014, 2.5GHz i7 with 16GB of 1.6GHz DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, 3TB RAID 1 main storage, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M available and enabled for OpenCL.

These 200-300 MB photoshop files open into Photoshop CC in under 1 second from either the SSD or Thunderbolt RAID. Slightly slower from USB 3.0 backup drive, as expected. Applying a Gaussian blur to an entire 5DSR file ranges from near instantaneous as makes no difference at small radii, to 6 seconds if I do the 1000 pixel radius maximum. The most complex liquify operation I've ever done took maybe 1 to 1.5 seconds to return a result, if that.

The only time I regularly encounter operations that take more than 1 second in normal usage are when applying 3rd party filters such as Imagenomic or MacPhun effects. It's possible that these don't leverage OpenCL or multiple cores as well as Adobe functions. Not sure. The other thing that I've seen take up to 10 seconds is saving out a multi-layered file, like if I save a portrait while I still have a dozen masked effect layers or frequency separation layers. These tend to be files upwards of 1 gigabyte, so I don't expect them to save instantly, but I feel like 5-10 seconds is pretty reasonable. For Lightroom CC to join 2 5DSR files together as a 100MP panorama is a 5 to 6 second operation. Again, not instant, but compared to how slowly HugIn rendered panoramas, this seems blazingly fast. On a fast desktop tower machine I would expect it could be twice as fast or faster.

When I moved from CS6 to CC, things got SO much faster. Kudos to Adobe, there are serious performance upgrades in these latest versions.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 27, 2016 06:01 as a reply to KatManDEW's post |  #37

Sending seven 50 mpix raw files from Lightroom to Photomatix now takes about 1-1/2 minutes, versus about 5 minutes with my old motherboard. New motherboard has core i7-6700K @ 4 gHz, and 16 gig memory.

That's much faster, but not as fast as I expected.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 27, 2016 07:25 |  #38

KatManDEW wrote in post #17914203 (external link)
I got a ASRock 170 Extreme7+. Booted into my existing Windows 7 installation with no problem. Had to install network and USB drivers and such but no big deal.

Added one pair of RAID 1 data drives and they show up as one drive in Windows even though I don't have them setup as RAID in the BIOS. Add a pair of identical new drives, and they show up in the BIOS but I can't figure out how to setup RAID on the motherboard. Look like I have to switch the SATA to RAID mode in the BIOS, but some info I found on the net says if I change the SATA mode after installing the OS I might not be able to boot.

I'm lost on the RAID setup with this motherboard. I've done it on several previous computers.

Update: I turned on RAID in he BIOS, and the drives show up in the BIOS and in Windows, but only one of the pairs of drives shows up in the Intel setup with Crtl-I during boot.

I have a single SSD system drive on SATA3_0 and the optical drive on SATA3_2. The other drive pairs are on SATA3_1, SATA3_3, and SATAA_3, SATA3_A3, SATA3_A4.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Mar 02, 2016 07:56 |  #39

Performance update: Sending seven 5DsR files to Photomatix with the new motherboard now takes ~70-90 seconds. It took 4+ minutes with the old motherboard.

I still want to get some files on Dropbox for others to try and share their performance.

skid00skid00
508 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Mar 02, 2016 11:19 |  #40

KatManDEW wrote in post #17920382 (external link)
Performance update: Sending seven 5DsR files to Photomatix with the new motherboard now takes ~70-90 seconds. It took 4+ minutes with the old motherboard.

I still want to get some files on Dropbox for others to try and share their performance.

I'll be interested in taking this challenge. I'd need to convert them to DNG first, though, as I have LR 5.7...

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Mar 02, 2016 18:01 |  #41

OK, here are seven bracketed 5dSr files to test.

https://www.dropbox.co​m ...vSZVEUjL3lFZHyK4d7s​a?dl=0 (external link)

It takes me 85 seconds to send them from Lightroom 6 to Photomatix.

My new motherboard is the ASRock Z170 Extreme7+, with i7-6700K (4 gHz), and 16 gB DDR4 memory. SSD system drive. Photos are stored on a 6 tB SATA 3 spinner. Firepro v5900 video card in wide gamut mode.

skid00skid00
508 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Mar 03, 2016 11:03 as a reply to KatManDEW's post |  #42

OK, what settings in LR are you using?
...sharpness, NR, lens correction, etc...

skid00skid00
508 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Mar 03, 2016 11:21 |  #43

OK, exporting the seven .dng from LR 5.7 to a folder on the desktop as .psd, with all controls at default took
about :) 11.93 seconds.

My machine: Asus Maximus vi Extreme, i7 4770k at 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM at 2400 MHz 11-12-12-29.

Running with much higher PP settings than normal:
Highlights: -10
Clarity: +10
Sharpening: 50
Radius: .9
Detail: 95
Masking: 7
NR
Luminance: 15
Detail: 100
Contrast: 0
Color: 30
Detail: 85
Smoothness: 15

Lens Correction/Remove CA: checked
69.92 seconds.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Mar 03, 2016 13:15 |  #44

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17921967 (external link)
OK, what settings in LR are you using?
...sharpness, NR, lens correction, etc...

Shadows +25
Highlights -25
Clarity 20
Vibrance 25
Saturation 25
Sharpening 10
NR 10
Lens correction On

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Mar 03, 2016 13:20 |  #45

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17921988 (external link)
OK, exporting the seven .dng from LR 5.7 to a folder on the desktop as .psd, with all controls at default took
about :) 11.93 seconds.

My machine: Asus Maximus vi Extreme, i7 4770k at 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM at 2400 MHz 11-12-12-29.

Running with much higher PP settings than normal:
Highlights: -10
Clarity: +10
Sharpening: 50
Radius: .9
Detail: 95
Masking: 7
NR
Luminance: 15
Detail: 100
Contrast: 0
Color: 30
Detail: 85
Smoothness: 15

Lens Correction/Remove CA: checked
69.92 seconds.

With the settings below the same operation (exporting PSD's to a folder) took ~45 seconds.

BTW: I ended up installing Windows 7 from scratch, so this test was with a clean install of Windows.

Shadows +25
Highlights -25
Clarity 20
Vibrance 25
Saturation 25
Sharpening 10
NR 10
Lens correction On

sponsored links

9,461 views & 6 likes for this thread
Upgrade PC or get a new one (for 5DsR photos)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.