Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 24 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 17:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Requesting Credentials

Brandon ­ James
218 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Pennsylvania
Jan 24, 2016 17:19 |  #1

Hi everyone,

Please ignore my ignorance as I have searched a bit but couldn't find an exact answer (feel free to point me in the correct direction if a thread is already in progress).

When I requested credentials for the shows before, I had always worked for some type of publication. Has anyone ever requested just for the hell of it? How would one go about doing that (if even possible) just to build their portfolio without signing over the rights to the artist?

Thanks,
Brandon

-Brandon
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/brandonsammonsexternal link

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 24, 2016 17:37 |  #2

There is no benefit to the artist/promoter/venue to provide you acess unless you are working media of some sort. Essentially you are asking for a free ticket.

Brandon ­ James
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Pennsylvania
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Brandon James.
Jan 24, 2016 17:41 as a reply to gonzogolf's post |  #3

That's the purpose of this topic. My apologies if I wasn't clear.

I'd like to shoot for the artist without relinquishing all rights to the photos. Possible?

-Brandon
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/brandonsammonsexternal link

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jan 24, 2016 17:55 |  #4

Brandon James wrote in post #17871262 (external link)

I'd like to shoot for the artist without relinquishing all rights to the photos. Possible?

Very unlikely. You want a free ticket, access to the front row, for no benefit.

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Jan 25, 2016 21:35 |  #5

When I first started shooting bands, I would contact bands directly and offer them images in exchange for access. I retained the copyright and sent them copies. I did that with Blackstone Cherry and with Zakk Wylde. I had full reign to use the photos as I wanted, and so did they (they never did).

It's been years since I did something like that, but it can certainly be done...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jan 28, 2016 15:06 |  #6

Road Dog wrote in post #17872997 (external link)
When I first started shooting bands, I would contact bands directly and offer them images in exchange for access. I retained the copyright and sent them copies. I did that with Blackstone Cherry and with Zakk Wylde. I had full reign to use the photos as I wanted, and so did they (they never did).

It's been years since I did something like that, but it can certainly be done...

I do this too, in fact I am photographing a show tonight after approaching the band for a pass. When bands grant me a media pass they can use my photos without charge, with credit to me and watermark intact, on web and social media. Any additional use a license agreement is reached depending on their specific need. I'll humbly disagree with the "no benefit" sentiment, this has worked well for both me and the artist and their media/promotions department.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Jan 29, 2016 07:34 |  #7

I don't think you understood Gonzo's answer.

If you are not doing it for media publication why would the band/venue give you, what amounts to, a free ticket. If they did that everyone would be turning up claiming that they were shooting "for their portfolio".

Obviously a small/new venue looking for publicity or a new band, may well agree to do it. A bigger, more professional band/venue is unlikely to unless you already know someone there. Same with sport. I can get a media pass to several sporting events here but I can't get one for the Hong Kong Sevens unless I have the backing of a publication/media.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Feb 13, 2016 02:44 |  #8
banned

Come on, are you serious about this? No wonder why some artists take it upon themselves to get free photos for eff all

Stop ruining professional photographers. If you can't get a media outlet, try getting an agency to let you contribute

sponsored links

6,312 views & 1 like for this thread
Requesting Credentials
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.