Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses
Thread started 15 Feb 2016 (Monday) 14:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Current or past Canon f/1.2 owners... what have you done?

VirtualRain
Joined Feb 2010
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by VirtualRain.
Feb 15, 2016 14:19 |  #1

In my humble opinion, the f/1.2 glass I own (50L and 85L) are unique and they're a treasured part of my kit. (My 135 f/2 also falls into this coveted category).

I realize that Sony/Zeiss makes nice lenses at the same or similar focal lengths, but nothing as exotic as f/1.2.

I'm curious if other Canon-Sony switchers have felt similarly, and if so, what you have done?

Are you using these lenses with Metabones and thus giving up on the Sony AF innovations?

Did you switch to native mount equivalents? If so, to what? How do you feel about the switch? Do you miss f/1.2?

What would your advice be to me... I love my glass but I would also love to have the better Sony sensor behind it AND the AF innovations. Stick with Canon all-around? Switch bodies but keep my glass? Switch all to native Sony?

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

sponsored links
gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Feb 15, 2016 15:01 |  #2

I typically used my Canon 85mm 1.2L around f/1.8 or f/2 anyways, so I made the switch to the Batis 85mm. No regrets.

If you want f/1.4 and up, the new FE 85mm 1.4 coming out next month sounds like it's supposed to be solid.

Same goes for the Canon 50mm 1.2L I used to have, I didn't find I was using it lower than about f/1.8, so the Sony FE 55 1.8 makes sense for me.

If you need to have f/1.4 or lower, the metabones 4 with fw.47 works well on a lot of Canon lenses.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by xpfloyd.
Feb 15, 2016 15:02 |  #3

Sorry I seem to keep stumbling onto your threads but will offer my thoughts again if you dont mind. I used to own the 50L and the 135L. With regards to the 50 the fe 55 is far superior in terms of IQ and sharpness but I really miss the 50L. I've owned all the canon 50s and whilst not perfect there was something about the 50L. Nothing quite like the wide open goodness. Dont get me wrong I love the fe55 but its not magical like the 50L IMO. My plan is to add the sigma 50 non art and see if that takes away my bokeh lust. I will be keeping the fe55 regardless as its a great size in addition to great optics. If the 1.4 sigma doesn't do it for me I can see me owning a 50L again.

With regards to the 135L there's nothing really to replace it at the moment so will likely pick another up at one point but not in a hurry as really enjoying the sigma 85 on the Sony.

I sold both of these L lenses to fund my sony move but could end up with them again for the reasons above

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 | Sony 2.8/90

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,697 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Feb 15, 2016 19:38 |  #4

I do miss the 50L and being a little wider. For sure the FE 55 spanks it in terms of IQ, but yeah, I want that blur back. I considered the mitakon 50mm F0.95, as I also miss that lens, gives noticably more blur than the 50L, will probably go that route again, unless I really want AF.

85, not too big of an 85 shooter, but wouldnt mind having one again, probably the sigma version as it's faster and more economical.

135L, well, I just use the canon version, adapts very well, IQ is fantastic, hard to say anything bad about the combo. IBIS is amazing on the lens, I dont hesitate to use that lens in low light, in fact it's my go to lens.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Feb 16, 2016 14:41 |  #5

I used my 50L a lot on my A7R. The 50L was and is still my favourite lens. I have moved to Nikon so unfortunately no longer can use it. I may buy it back one day for my Sony.

If you love the look the glass gives, just keep them. Unfortunately in the Sony lens ecosystem, there aren't many lens options that would allow to buy a cheap prime to have AF for. Compared to Nikon/Canon where you have so many 50mm options thats you can do any combination to fit your needs. This was a huge issue for me and why I decided to leave Sony as my backup and have Nikon as my full time system.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Feb 16, 2016 19:20 |  #6

Honestly most of the time I can't tell the difference between my 1.2 and 1.4 50mms , 1.2 is overrated IMO for style I mean. For shooting indoors it's still really great.

Im buying the Canon 50mm 0.95 TV lens with my tax return. Hopefully that will be more noticible.

Thankfully you can use that on the A7, unlike DSLRs.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links

1,377 views & 3 likes for this thread
Current or past Canon f/1.2 owners... what have you done?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.