Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family
Thread started 13 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 12:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Seeking Feedback

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Brad999. 5 edits done in total.
Jan 26, 2016 04:55 as a reply to post 17859180 |  #16

Most people on this forum are going to tell you not to do it. A very high percentage have thousands of dollars of gear, no formal training, but are expert wedding photographers...

Now back to reality. You have what you have for gear, time is on your side, and most people will be looking at your photos loving the memories you caught. Get some decently exposed photos that are in focus, and you are good. You have 3 or 4 months to learn your camera, and knock out 15 to 25 shots at home, that you can carry over into the wedding.

Every wedding I've been to...the first thing they say is no flash photography. If that is the case, and the ceremony is indoors, then your kit lens and zoom can be used for before and after shots outdoors. Use the 50 inside if they say no flash, as it is your only hope of seeing in the dark.

Use the flash and your kit lens at the reception. Even if you have someone hold the flash for you while it fires, you can get some nice memories. I'm not sure if your camera can trigger a flash off camera, so you need to look into that. If not, use it on camera and point it at a wall or ceiling or even look into DIY diffusion. There are even inexpensive little diffusion products you can buy for the flash.

I would make sure to have 2 or 3 cards. Take a few images, throw another one in and keep rotating, incase of failure. Other than that, practice non stop until May inside your house and out simulating shots that you will find in wedding forums and books. :)

I've taken photos with similar gear that you have, and brought them to acceptable levels in lightroom and everybody was happy. They aren't going to impress a photographer, but they told the story, and are great memories.

sponsored links
DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Jan 26, 2016 11:46 |  #17

^^^^^^^
One thing I really like about this forum when you get a comment you have the ability to have a little look see at the person who wrote it. You can see if they seem to have formal training or not. If you look at their profile and all they do is ask dumb questions they should have just googled you might take what they say with a grain of salt.

People really don't realize how much work goes into this stuff. Honestly your first wedding is sooo stressful and you are being trusted to capture the day. "Get some decently exposed photos that are in focus" isn't good advice! This kind of attitude is killing me. I don't know if its a recent mindset but people don't respect the work that needs to go into a job. Maybe it has to do with the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality but looking at a big challenge with such unwarranted hubris it crazy to me. "oh Ill just capture someone's special day with no practice what-so-ever... yeah I'm just gunna wing it no biggie". Start from the bottom as a 2nd or 3rd and put the work in.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Brad999. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 26, 2016 12:20 as a reply to DThriller's post |  #18

^^^^^^^^^^^

See, I look at this in a totally different way. Here is a lady who is on her 4th marriage, who just wants some nice photos. She is asking someone who has some gear and some talent to get this for her. She obviously doesn't want to pay a professional photographer.

They guy is basically willing to put in the time it takes to learn over the next few months to pull off this little miracle for her. Of course, people who pass themselves off as professional photographers and even pro photographers don't want him doing this.

Why you might ask? THEY ARE SCARED YOU MIGHT TAKE A DIME OUT OF THEIR POCKETS. They don't want you working for free. It is a job lost to them. These are the same people who complain about people selling stock photos for 10 bucks a piece.

Don't listen to these guys who are constantly putting people down on here. Take the photos. It is your gift to your friend. It doesn't mean you are opening shop and now a wedding photographer. It is what it is. You are doing the best you can with what you have to take a few photos.

It isn't rocket science...that is why I told you to practice over the next 3 months. You already can deliver photos outdoors. She was happy with them. 3 months is plenty of time to learn to take some indoor low light shots, and shots with flash. Don't get all caught up with these guys saying the day moves so fast and the stress etc etc. She isn't looking for this type of service. She wants a few photos where you hit the main highlights of the day and that is that.

PS: Don't forget to show some photos here after the shoot. Prove them all wrong.

RLP2016
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Feb 17, 2016 19:36 |  #19

I appreciate everyone's input. I can absolutely agree with and see all these points and thank you to everyone for all the tips. Wedding moved to June now, so that's even better for me. Interestingly enough, she also would like a boudoir shoot for a gift for her husband-to-be, which just means another great leaning experience under my belt if we do it. :)

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Feb 18, 2016 11:50 as a reply to RLP2016's post |  #20

Wow, she is asking for a lot! Boudoir photography is hardcore stuff. So she wants wedding and boudoir photography for free. I'd say at this point it sounds like she is taking advantage of you. Boudoir photography is one of the most demanding in terms of understanding lighting and working with nonprofessional models. This could potentially backfire if you don't pull it off to her liking. Just because she's getting it for free doesn't mean she'll be happy with whatever she gets!

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Feb 18, 2016 13:01 as a reply to atsilverstein's post |  #21

Explain how someone offering a hobbyist photographer a chance to take pictures of her taking advantage of him? Most people have a hard time to get a model. Here is a lady saying come and take pictures of her half naked and then for payment, she is letting him shoot her wedding!!!

Now that is win-win.

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Feb 18, 2016 13:16 as a reply to Brad999's post |  #22

I certainly am not a professional, but from my prior client - oriented job it's been a red flag for me for someone who keeps asking for free stuff. I'm not saying she'd be a problem, but I can see the potential for one. It speaks of someone not being upfront with what they want, when asking for a favor and after said favor is agreed to, to follow up with "Oh yes, and while you're at it can you also do xyz." And to boot they want it done perfectly of course.

Sure it's a learning experience, but a pretty steep one at that with potential for things to not go so well. But I wish OP best of luck and I hope it goes smoothly.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Feb 18, 2016 13:31 as a reply to Brad999's post |  #23

Not sure if the quoting thing worked but I completely disagree with your assertion that professional photographers would be upset at the amateur for doing the wedding free out of not booking this client.

This is not a potential client. Someone who doesn't want to pay 2 grand for proper wedding photos is not considered at all for potential booking.

- William Ernest Henley

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Feb 18, 2016 13:50 as a reply to RLP2016's post |  #24

ok, here.. I'll give an example of a wedding I did last year.

It was someone I knew, she said it was a small wedding, just one flower girl and they were renewing their vows.. what would I charge? So I gave a figure, she said ok and put half down and I showed up that day ...

and...

The 'White Tent' they were to be married in was a white and YELLOW tent... and I use caps because think about the color casts going on in there when trying to take pictures.. I knew how to fix it.. the other photographer there didn't.

The 'other photographer' you ask? well.. turns out it was a double wedding.. with 3+ on the attendants... each side.... so like 6 for my set and 8 for the other brides set Not exactly the small simple thing I was led to believe. Everyone is in one big tent, and there are TWO photographers, who don't know each other, trying to get the best angle... yeah.. think about that. Other photog had rebel and kit lens and no flash.....

and... other photog ran out of memory card space.. I gave her my second camera so she could finish pictures... sooo...

I see both sides to this, they don't want to have a big fancy photographer, just some nice snaps and that's it. Which is fine. As long as they are very clear that is all they will get. And they understand that there are things out of a an amateur photogs control/ability that may ruin pictures, and they won't have the skill set or equipment to get the picture no matter what, and some pics may not be captured.

Incredibly nice she appreciates the talent she sees in you. As long as expectations are managed, and you have a contract that spells that out, you can be just fine here.

I've been that 'beginner' photog, that had no idea the abyss that sits on both sides of the narrow wedding bridge to get it all done and a finished product that I could be proud of. Not knowing all that can go wrong is a blessing starting out.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Feb 18, 2016 14:14 |  #25

atsilverstein wrote in post #17903345 (external link)
Boudoir photography is one of the most demanding in terms of understanding lighting and working with nonprofessional models. This could potentially backfire if you don't pull it off to her liking.

Bad wedding photos are bad but bad boudoir photos are a travesty. You did the opposite of all the advice (except for that guy brad who is a clueless either provocateur, enabler or white night Im not sure.) You are suppose to start small and work you way up with gigs. Taking boudoir photos of an acquaintance will be awkward and the photos will be more awkward.

Youll wreck her body image and then wreck her wedding its a win-win!

@DPhillipsStudios

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Brad999.
Feb 18, 2016 15:15 as a reply to DThriller's post |  #26

DThriller, This is what happens when electricians become photographers. I looked over your work. If you are a professional photographer, I'm Brad Pitt...

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Feb 18, 2016 15:58 |  #27

Stalker alert!

@DPhillipsStudios

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Feb 18, 2016 16:02 |  #28

I fail to see your point

Your point: Bite off more then you can chew!

My point: Have some humility and work your way up to bigger jobs

@DPhillipsStudios

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Brad999. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 18, 2016 16:08 as a reply to DThriller's post |  #29

That is why you are so off base. It isn't a job. He wants to try some boudoir of a friend and then take some wedding pictures for her after 5 more months of practice.

What do you want him to do? Shoot trees in the backyard? This is exactly how he should be practicing. Free shots of someone who probably doesn't care what he produces. It is her 4th marriage! I can't believe she even wants a photo of it. Once he keeps practicing, he can pretend he is a formally trained photographer and charge for his work...lol

What shot exactly do you have in mind that will he have the most trouble with? He has 5 months to practice. If he can't get the shot, I will send you $1000 dollars...

Post your shot that you have taken that you think he cannot pull off in 5 months. He can post back here with his version and all at POTN will vote if he pulled it off or not.

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Feb 18, 2016 16:22 as a reply to Brad999's post |  #30

Intimate bedroom photos of a friend is not a great way to learn photography. Plus, that particular kind is one of the most difficult! This is like someone learning how to ski by putting him on a black diamond slope.

Bad idea IMO.

- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links

8,139 views & 20 likes for this thread
Seeking Feedback
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.