Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
sploo
premature adulation
2,178 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Feb 18, 2016 04:25 |  #586

I'm looking at the specs of the just-announced 80D (45 AF points (all cross type), 27 of which will work at f/8, and (I assume just the centre point) down to -3EV). In terms of cross type points, number of f/8 points, and low light AF that's (on paper) better than the 5D3 and original 1Dx.

That surely bodes well for a 5D4; I thought they might use the 1Dx II AF system but, say, leave just the centre point at f/8, but it doesn't even look like they could do that now (otherwise it'd look worse than the 80D in that area). I guess competition is good for consumers. Who'd have thought it eh? ;-)a

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,813 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 18, 2016 08:54 |  #587

Well, 80D is OT in this thread, that said, if in fact the spec is correct,

(lenses with maximum apertures of f/8 or higher, and some lenses with extenders attached may operate at a maximum of 27 points)
from Canon USA

the above would mean AF @ f/8 which in and of itself would be a big leap for the XXD line, and I have not seen specified.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 18, 2016 09:02 |  #588

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17903147 (external link)
and I have not seen specified.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​903096

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Feb 19, 2016 18:22 |  #589

This is more than likely a repost (since I'm always late to the party), but in case someone else didn't see it, this is worth a look.

http://www.raymondphan​g.com ...-and-high-iso-comparison/ (external link)

It shows a 3-stop underexposure between pre-production 1dx2 vs. a 1dx at iso100. The shadow recovery is... dare I say it, Sony-esque. :lol:

Is it April yet? I need it to be April.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,139 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Feb 19, 2016 18:29 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #590

Wow. Impressive.

David | Flickr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Feb 19, 2016 19:29 |  #591

David Arbogast wrote in post #17905071 (external link)
Wow. Impressive.

Indeed. My mind is blown. (Hm... no emoji for mindblown. They need to make one).

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,401 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.
Feb 19, 2016 20:13 |  #592

That actually looks to be at least 2 stops better in the shadows, just look at the section under the table, the 1DX starts to get the blotchy blobs of color, the 1DX2 is just clean. Perhaps this 2 stop improvement won't be seen across the board at the various ISO levels, but definitely in the DR arena where you start to pull up shadows. This is going to be an outstanding camera for wedding shooters, as well as landscape and architectural shooters.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Feb 19, 2016 20:34 |  #593

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17905177 (external link)
That actually looks to be at least 2 stops better in the shadows, just look at the section under the table, the 1DX starts to get the blotchy blobs of color, the 1DX2 is just clean. Perhaps this 2 stop improvement won't be seen across the board at the various ISO levels, but definitely in the DR arena where you start to pull up shadows. This is going to be an outstanding camera for wedding shooters, as well as landscape and architectural shooters.

Based on what I have seen so far, they are somewhat going to hide the information in the ISO settings - i.e. I think the base 100 ISO is actually 'underrated'. If you search for and pull up the 1Dx vs 1DX II pictures, the ones with the hockey goalie in the dark arena with see that new 1Dx II is swa lest lousy.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Feb 19, 2016 23:12 |  #594

jwcdds wrote in post #17905058 (external link)
This is more than likely a repost (since I'm always late to the party), but in case someone else didn't see it, this is worth a look.

http://www.raymondphan​g.com ...-and-high-iso-comparison/ (external link)

It shows a 3-stop underexposure between pre-production 1dx2 vs. a 1dx at iso100. The shadow recovery is... dare I say it, Sony-esque. :lol:

Is it April yet? I need it to be April.

I ordered last week an they said " hopefully April 26th

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
Joined Jun 2009
San Jose, CA
Feb 19, 2016 23:16 |  #595

umphotography wrote in post #17905289 (external link)
I ordered last week an they said " hopefully April 26th

I'm impressed that you can get that much info out of them.

I ordered in the first minutes after the announcement, well before their emails arrived. Still all I get is that I'm early on the list and that's better than I've gotten for previous pre-orders! :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.comexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Feb 19, 2016 23:50 |  #596

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17905293 (external link)
I'm impressed that you can get that much info out of them.

I ordered in the first minutes after the announcement, well before their emails arrived. Still all I get is that I'm early on the list and that's better than I've gotten for previous pre-orders! :)

I have a friend in High Places  :p:love::-P

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Feb 20, 2016 00:15 |  #597

Andy Rouse---25000 Iso shots...insanely good stuff

http://www.andyrouse.c​o.uk/index.php?b=1&cur​rentpage=1 (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

sploo
premature adulation
2,178 posts
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by sploo.
Feb 20, 2016 03:34 |  #598

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17905177 (external link)

Based on Exmor sensor graphs, you'd expect a "great" result from Canon to show a couple of stops at ISO 100, then tailing off to where they were (and where Sony is) around ISO 800 (where read noise is no longer the main issue). I.e. matching Sony somewhat. You're not realistically going to see multi-stop shadow improvement at ISO 800 unless they've done something really groundbreaking.

sploo
premature adulation
2,178 posts
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Feb 20, 2016 03:45 |  #599

umphotography wrote in post #17905315 (external link)
Andy Rouse---25000 Iso shots...insanely good stuff

http://www.andyrouse.c​o.uk/index.php?b=1&cur​rentpage=1 (external link)

Great images, but talk of pattern noise in shadows in high ISO shots doesn't make that much sense; by that time other sources of noise have drowned out the read noise issues (hence Canon being competitive at high ISO even with their "traditional" shadow problems).

It may just be that they've improved noise across the board (though if he was using jpegs then it may partly be better noise reduction in camera).

texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
Feb 20, 2016 03:50 |  #600

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17901444 (external link)
Is CPS of any benefit for the amateur like me...never made a penny off photography and dont plan to
but have a few EOS bodies (T2i,6D,7Dii,1Div) and several whites (300/2.8,400DOii,500/f​4)....
Reason I ask is I plan to add 1DXii this summer.

The silver membership isn't all that expensive. CSP does a great job of turning service requests around really quick. They do an outstanding job of cleaning, calibrating and repairs if necessary at a discount over non CSP owners.

I was a member before I started making money as a photog. I've always found CSP to be a good value and insurance policy for all of my gear.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

sponsored links

225,751 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.