Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 16 Feb 2016 (Tuesday) 09:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

canon die hard- moving to mirrorless realm

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
baltimore
Feb 16, 2016 09:52 |  #1

Been a good run on dslr, although i sold all my main gears for side work 3 years ago (school reason), planning on shooting photos again. i still own a canon xsi (good training platform for my daughter). Just ordered a sony a6000, i know they announce a a6300 release, but like my canon im focus on portraiture and full frame is my cup of tea. just want to test out the mirrorless world and see if i like the new technology it offers. Then i can maybe jumped into the FF mirrorless cameras. Tested my friends a6000 last week end, and i must say that the camera features are incredible. Some features were just a wishful thinking for some canon users like us. I'm not gonna miss the weight specially for travelling, we'll see the prime lens selection. But it was a good run

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Hogloff.
Feb 16, 2016 16:47 |  #2

thrash_273 wrote in post #17900460 (external link)
Been a good run on dslr, although i sold all my main gears for side work 3 years ago (school reason), planning on shooting photos again. i still own a canon xsi (good training platform for my daughter). Just ordered a sony a6000, i know they announce a a6300 release, but like my canon im focus on portraiture and full frame is my cup of tea. just want to test out the mirrorless world and see if i like the new technology it offers. Then i can maybe jumped into the FF mirrorless cameras. Tested my friends a6000 last week end, and i must say that the camera features are incredible. Some features were just a wishful thinking for some canon users like us. I'm not gonna miss the weight specially for travelling, we'll see the prime lens selection. But it was a good run

I hear you. I just cannot think of lugging around a DSLR with me while traveling. Gone are those days. A mirrorless wrapped around my wrist is just so liberating. Enjoy the A6000 then make the move to the A7R2.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Feb 16, 2016 18:05 |  #3

Welcome to the dark side. The a6000 is a great camera and is ludicrously capable for it's price.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

thrash_273
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Joined Aug 2007
baltimore
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by thrash_273.
Feb 16, 2016 20:00 |  #4

i almost pick the A7, told myself after i paid off my titanium mtb then i will start my move. 3 christmas have passed, 3 years of denying some clients. im excited to have it! dark side indeed! lol

Ben
flickr (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Feb 18, 2016 22:30 |  #5
banned

mystik610 wrote in post #17901131 (external link)
Welcome to the dark side. The a6000 is a great camera and is ludicrously capable for it's price.

why do people refer to Nikon or Sony as dark side?

anyway, I sold my 5D III and I don't miss it, mirrorless all the way.

Gear List

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Feb 18, 2016 22:40 |  #6

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17904028 (external link)

Big Canon lenses are white. Nikon's are black. Sony started to mimic Canon's white.
This used to be predominantly an all-Canon based forum.
It's a popular StarWars reference for lots of things (coke -> diet coke, pick something, the phrase is often used for nearly everything).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Feb 19, 2016 03:16 |  #7

I recently moved from all canon setup to an A6k with 18-105 G f4 lens. and Honestly? i wouldn't ever look back :-)

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Feb 19, 2016 10:29 |  #8
banned

MalVeauX wrote in post #17904032 (external link)
Big Canon lenses are white. Nikon's are black. Sony started to mimic Canon's white.
This used to be predominantly an all-Canon based forum.
It's a popular StarWars reference for lots of things (coke -> diet coke, pick something, the phrase is often used for nearly everything).

Very best,

ok, that makes sense ;)

still got one white lens left...

Gear List

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by mystik610. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 19, 2016 10:38 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #17904032 (external link)

Actually Minolta (who Sony bought ) was making white telephoto lenses before Canon was. Those old white Minolta lenses can still be used on current Sony bodies. (natively on a-mount cameras, and via adapter on e-mount cameras)

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

thrash_273
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Joined Aug 2007
baltimore
Feb 19, 2016 16:35 |  #10

alot of this familiar avatars i've seen over the years here are really switching! =D well my mirrorless is waiting for me at home right now, thanks to sucky service of fedex (as usual, who delayed my device 1 day).
I am really excited to get back! =D

Ben
flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Feb 19, 2016 16:38 |  #11

mystik610 wrote in post #17904548 (external link)
Actually Minolta (who Sony bought ) was making white telephoto lenses before Canon was. Those old white Minolta lenses can still be used on current Sony bodies. (natively on a-mount cameras, and via adapter on e-mount cameras)

Right, but Minolta hasn't been hanging over the side-lines at the Olympics, NFL, etc, where Canon's whites are today.

Realistically, most folk today unless they are a certain age or into history of photography won't even know who/what Minolta was, and if you mention white lenses, they will instantly consider it Canon.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Feb 19, 2016 18:34 |  #12

MalVeauX wrote in post #17904976 (external link)
Right, but Minolta hasn't been hanging over the side-lines at the Olympics, NFL, etc, where Canon's whites are today.

Realistically, most folk today unless they are a certain age or into history of photography won't even know who/what Minolta was, and if you mention white lenses, they will instantly consider it Canon.

Very best,

Sure but it's not distinctly a Canon thing. Only pointing out that no one is copying Canon when they release a white lens. White lenses have a practical purpose. They don't absorb as much heat when shooting outdoors.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Feb 19, 2016 19:17 |  #13

mystik610 wrote in post #17905077 (external link)
Sure but it's not distinctly a Canon thing. Only pointing out that no one is copying Canon when they release a white lens. White lenses have a practical purpose. They don't absorb as much heat when shooting outdoors.

Yes...they are white and Canon uses that big time in their marketing.

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Feb 19, 2016 19:49 |  #14

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17904028 (external link)

Probably because this was originally a Canon forum for many years.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Feb 19, 2016 20:02 |  #15

Hogloff wrote in post #17905105 (external link)
Yes...they are white and Canon uses that big time in their marketing.

My Canon 1D Mk III is beloved, and I've had it since they were released. No noise banding like the 5D series or other consumer level Canon's, it's a super camera, but it's time to upgrade and the Sony's look great, especially for the price.

Would any of the Sony mirrorless work well for fast action stage photography? And how do they work with Canon lenses? Flashes? Triggers? (Yongnuo)

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links

8,721 views & 21 likes for this thread
canon die hard- moving to mirrorless realm
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.