Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 16 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 11:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 1D Mark III, reviewed by Levina de Ruijter

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Levina de Ruijter (showing now: Levina de Ruijter)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money9.5
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected9.5
AF Performance9.5
Handling and Ergonomics9.5
User-interface9.5
photo by DavidR
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 1D Mark III

Maxdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Mar 07, 2015 04:24 |  #16

Two more winners!

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mar 07, 2015 04:57 as a reply to Maxdave's post |  #17

Thanks very much, Max!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,731 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 07, 2015 15:51 |  #18

EOSFelix wrote in post #17461363external link
Hi Levina,
I Know that this is a very old post, but probably only you can help me...
I shoot MotoGP and actually I have a 5DIII with some lenses. Now I need a second body for backup purposes.
My options are 7D (the old one) and 1D MarkIII

In terms of Autofocus and image quality what could be the right choice for me?

Thanks in advance,
Felice

From my experience I would go for the 1D3 in a heartbeat. Good though the original 7D was the 1D3 is simply a better camera. The AF is better, the 1D3 responds faster and tracks better, higher FPS (though not enough to matter), better high ISO, longer battery life, bigger buffer (note the 1D3 is about the ONLY camera that writes faster to SD cards rather than CF!) etc etc. The only disadvantage of the 1D3 vs the 7D, in my experience, is that it does not crop that well due to it's modest pixel count.
As a Bird photographer I would find the 7D too limiting, but I would be happier with a 1D3 due to it's higher performance and better files.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Barrytr
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Apr 01, 2015 04:41 |  #19

The things as a owner of an 1DMk3 is It is difficult camera to get used to but when you do simply awesome shots are produced ,
I was using a 40D 10 meg the same pixel count but when viewing the 1DMk3 files for the first time simply no comparison, smooth creamy no grain
white balance on auto is very accurate. My body number is well later than the affected batch so i was reasonably confident of using a good body.
Negatives always had to sharpen slightly after shooting raw and read a post about calibrating lens a feature this body has,
took me a day to do all my lenses and wow no more sharpening razer sharp images sometimes too sharp,I have often thought how many owners
and prospective owners judge sharpness by the rear screen,because if you do you will be very disappointed.My Kodak film 8x10 is sharper than the screen
on the 1DMk3!
I find this model camera super fast focusing I use back button focusing, and plan to keep using this body for a few years it is simply awesome for my needs.
Bazz8

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Feb 25, 2016 14:24 |  #20

After shooting with the 1DIII for just over a year now, and trying to get closer to a Kingfisher, I decided to see how the camera would do with a 300/4L and the Canon 2x II TC, giving me 600mm with IS. That TC spends most of its time on the shelf, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well it performed with this camera. RAW file looked really good and it didn't need much editing; just a bit of contrast and some moderate sharpening.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Levina

Poindexter
Joined Feb 2007
Vermont
Feb 25, 2016 14:45 |  #21

Looks good Levina!

I ended up taking the 1DIII a different route with a 590nm conversion. This is a really fun IR body!

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1588/24560208162_1682168ab6_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Dqiu​dS] (external link)I took a lost on life road (external link) by Alex Snyder (external link), on Flickr

Need to get more action images going because it is a 1D.

flickr (external link) | SmugMug (external link) | Gear (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Feb 25, 2016 15:18 as a reply to Poindexter's post |  #22

That is a cool shot, Alex. Nice to have a IR image in the review thread, so people can see what else this camera can do! :-)

Levina

rgfrison
Joined Jul 2008
Eastern Washington
Feb 26, 2016 21:25 |  #23

I remember when I was shooting my 40d drooling over these, now they are practically giving them away.
Servo mode is incredible and the ability to change AF speed is great to catch hummers popping
in and out of flowers. I just ordered a 24-70 f/4 L IS, I am looking forward to trying it with some nice glass.

This is with a 28-90mm III non usm.

IMAGE: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/rgfrison/potn2_zpsgq3lmgk6.jpg

Randy

SacMac
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006
England (but currently Florida)
Apr 06, 2016 04:07 |  #24

Hi Levina, hope you can help. I'm currently on holiday in USA from England. My 1d mk iii has suddenly stopped functioning properly and all my bird shots yesterday were out of focus. I'm looking for a quick list of custom functions that I can set the camera to and see if this helps. All my crib sheets are at home and I can't remember what settings should be. Please help, I'd be very grateful. Love your photos.

Sheryl

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Apr 06, 2016 10:28 as a reply to SacMac's post |  #25

Hi Sheryl. Long time no see!
I'm sorry to learn of your camera trouble. Not sure if I can help though. I really looked into the Custom Functions back when I had AF problems with the first 1D III I had, but that was over a year ago and I've forgotten most of it... :rolleyes: But here are a few links that may be helpful.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com ...o_AF_Custom_Functio​ns.pdf (external link)
http://cpn.canon-europe.com ...echnical/mkiii_af_t​ips.do (external link)
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com ...-1d_mark_iii_c.fn_iii.p​df (external link)
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com ..._mark_iii_white_pap​er.pdf (external link)
http://www.gerlachnatu​rephoto.com ...os%201D%20Mark%20II​I.html (external link)

I think that for AF the most important settings are Custum Functions III 2, 4 and 8, where enabling or disabling group 8 affects groups 2 and 4. So they work together. I have set mine as follows:
C.fn.III - 2 > set to faster (between middle and far right)
C.fn.III - 4 > set to 1
C.fn.III - 8 > set to 2 or 1 and sometimes disabled altogether when I want to just use my selected AF point, so it depends.

But are you sure it's the camera that is malfunctioning? Could it maybe also be the lens that needs micro-adjusting?

Anyway, hopefully there's some info in the above (links) that will be helpful. Fingers crossed.

Levina

Jon_Doh
Joined Apr 2007
Area 51
Apr 06, 2016 15:37 |  #26

So many photographers misunderstand the 1D III because the autofocus system has so many ways to adjust it for different shooting situations. And most are too lazy to make needed changes for what they are shooting and then complain about the autofocus. There are a lot of helpful templates for different shooting situations that you can download and install that will help. They're similar to what comes with the 1DX.

Canon 1D Mark III, 70-200 L IS F4, 17-40 L, 50 1.8, Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter
Leica V-Lux 4
Sony NEX 3 used only for astrophotography with Meade LX 90 ACF SCT and Skywatcher 120 ED telescopes
Canon A2 (film), 24-50 Sigma, 70-210 Sigma

SacMac
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Apr 07, 2016 18:21 as a reply to Levina de Ruijter's post |  #27

Thank you so much Levina. Yes, long time no see! Haven't been around on these forums for a while as life has taken over somewhat in recent years. Your suggestions are very helpful and I'm experimenting at the moment to try and get it right. I'm not convinced that it is just the settings as the camera has been fine up until now and I've had it from new. I don't believe it's the lens either. Maybe I just need to save up and buy a newer body! Thank you for your help x

Sheryl

SacMac
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Apr 07, 2016 18:24 as a reply to Jon_Doh's post |  #28

Yes, thanks, Jon-Doh. I've had the camera from new and have never had an issue with it until I've come away on holiday this time. I was just hoping to find a quick fix but it's not looking hopeful at the moment. It seems there might be a bigger issue than just the settings. I have managed to get a couple of reasonable shots but the rest have been abysmal! Thanks for the advice anyway.

Sheryl

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Apr 08, 2016 05:08 |  #29

SacMac wrote in post #17964078 (external link)
Thank you so much Levina. Yes, long time no see! Haven't been around on these forums for a while as life has taken over somewhat in recent years. Your suggestions are very helpful and I'm experimenting at the moment to try and get it right. I'm not convinced that it is just the settings as the camera has been fine up until now and I've had it from new. I don't believe it's the lens either. Maybe I just need to save up and buy a newer body! Thank you for your help x

I don't think it's the camera settings either, Sheryl, as the camera worked fine and then suddenly it didn't. Hence my question about the lens and if a micro-adjustment might solve your problem. However, if something is wrong with the camera why not send it to Canon for a check-up and see if they can fix the problem for a small price? That's what I would do anyway before buying new. Bummer though that this happens now, with you being away from home. Hopefully you won't let it ruin your holiday. Maybe you could use Live View to focus for now? Although I'm aware that LV isn't exactly handy for birds...

Levina

Valerie ­ S
119 posts
Joined Dec 2006
San Francisco/Santa Cruz, CA US
Sep 30, 2016 02:13 |  #30

I went through five of these when they first came out. I got so frustrated with the situation and Canon's response that I got out of photography for six or seven years. They were telling me it was user error or if you can get six sots out of ten in focus, why complain?

I returned to photography this summer, selling my L lenses and switched to Nikon.

I'm glad you finally have one that works for you. It has a lot going for it when it doesn't have the focus issue.

my stuffz

sponsored links

12,596 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 1D Mark III, reviewed by Levina de Ruijter
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.