Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Mar 2016 (Friday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A couple of flower shots

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 04, 2016 10:46 |  #1

Hi, please give me your thoughts and feelings about these flower shots. Do you think either one will look nice printed?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,223 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Mar 04, 2016 16:00 |  #2

Focus and exposure look fine. I think getting a bit closer would improve both shots. The bright background of the purple one is a magnet to the eye. The white one is better. Watch out for other distractions: the bit of purple flower on the right edge and the long stem on the white shot.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 05, 2016 05:12 |  #3

There's a ton of flower taking videos on youtube...peruse them.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 05, 2016 08:54 |  #4

...what do you think? if it looks good to you, print and hang! end of discussion!

enjoy

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 05, 2016 09:44 |  #5

Closer closer closer. You want the flower(s) to very nearly fill the frame. Also, if you can find a sort of decent background where you can blur it with a wide aperture, or even a bit of a foreground that you can blur and be looking through it to the flower that is the subject, something like leaves or other flowers. I think flowers are actually a difficult subject, hard to get something that is more than just a snapshot. Takes some work. There is an entire thread of flower shots in the Nature and Landscapes section, take a gander at that.

Of course, the bottom line is what one30 said - if you like it, fine. But I think you can refine your shots more.

Nice example of the background blur I'm talking about here in this post -

http://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17905996

Flickr (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,758 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 07, 2016 08:13 |  #6

the shadows are too strong. try shooting on shooting them on an overcast day or use a screed.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 07, 2016 09:15 |  #7

Closer, rule of thirds (top of top image is useless)... what everyone else said.

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

sponsored links

1,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
A couple of flower shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.