Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 29 Feb 2016 (Monday) 13:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cleaning out your Desktop HD

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Feb 29, 2016 13:24 |  #1

I bought an HP desktop a couple years ago that's still running strong. In the last year or so, I've noticed it slowing down a little bit, so I've been trying to figure out why. About 6 months ago, I was loading a program and got a message saying my HD was full. What? I filled up a 1 TB HD? Sure enough, it's about 93% full.

So, I went into clean up mode. Deleted some unused programs, moved several catalogs of RAW files over to external HD with their jpegs. Thought that would be enough. It dropped me to about 90% full.

So, I need some guidance. When I look at uninstalling programs, how do I analyze what I can and can't delete? Last thing I want to delete is a program the computer needs to run. Some of them I know what they are, some I don't.

Any tips on cleaning this up?

BTW, 2 years of RAW files (about 15K images) took almost no room on my external HD, so it's not the files I have on my computer.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Feb 29, 2016 13:28 |  #2

What OS?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
Feb 29, 2016 13:46 |  #3

huntersdad wrote in post #17917893 (external link)
BTW, 2 years of RAW files (about 15K images) took almost no room on my external HD, so it's not the files I have on my computer.

How large is the external? Assuming 10MB per image, that's 150GB which I wouldn't consider "no room".

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,230 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 29, 2016 14:08 |  #4

DGStinner wrote in post #17917919 (external link)
How large is the external? Assuming 10MB per image, that's 150GB which I wouldn't consider "no room".

Raw file sized are closer to 25~30mb for pretty much any modern camera. 40D and earlier might hit the 10mb.

Tpo the OP, as it's a desktop, just pop in a 3 or 4tb drive and be done with it. Move all images, movies, music, user data and such over to the second drive and just use the first for system stuff and programs.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
Feb 29, 2016 14:12 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #17917952 (external link)
Raw file sized are closer to 25~30mb for pretty much any modern camera. 40D and earlier might hit the 10mb.

Tpo the OP, as it's a desktop, just pop in a 3 or 4tb drive and be done with it. Move all images, movies, music, user data and such over to the second drive and just use the first for system stuff and programs.

I picked 10MB because the math is quicker/easier. Even 30MB per raw file would mean 450GB on an external which is definitely not "no room". My thought is that the OP created shortcuts to the raw files instead of copying them over to the external.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

skid00skid00
508 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Feb 29, 2016 14:53 |  #6

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Download WinDirStat. Run it. You will see a graphic with colored blocks. Click the largest blocks, and see if it's Windows OS stuff, or files created by you, or app files.

You can google to find out if they are safe to delete.

This is the very quickest way to reduce disk usage.

Hokie ­ Jim
95 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Mar 01, 2016 20:47 |  #7

Also, CCleaner will take care of old registry files, assorted browser gunk, etc. Amazing what it picks up.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/Really Right Stuff BH-55 | Think Tank Urban Disguise 60

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
London
Mar 05, 2016 11:14 |  #8

I am sure if you are very pc aware you can do it with cleaners.
But on an old imstall, I always found backing off my files and reloading the OS really gave every pc a sort of rejuvenation.

If your disc was a 5,400 and you have sata III 6gb/s controller is it worth going to 2TB 7,200 drive or evenone of these hynrid drive ..... As you can take it with you later. ?

Or better invest £112 on a Samsung 850 ssd 500gb for your os and programs and current work and use the 1tb as a sort of data storage. Add the new os ... Bet you see it fly , plus some more space?

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Mar 08, 2016 16:47 |  #9

One option I have not seen mentioned: it is possible the drive is partitioned and you have filled one partition. This happened to my daughter. She ran out of room in no time with a 2TB drive. It turned out the drive was partitioned and she had filled the small 150 gig partition. Most everything Windows defaults to C drive. Maybe you still have lots of room. Worth a look anyway.

One more note - when copying or moving you can use the ctrl or shift key to modify the action. With windows explorer I am normally looking into the source folder with the destination folder visible in the tree. Select the files you want to work with, left click and start to drag, at the same time press and hold the modifier key (I think holding ctrl will cause a move while shift will be copy). Once over the destination folder release mouse button then modifier key. I think I have which key does what right. Been doing it so long I don't think about it.

Sorry if you already know this. It is amazing how many people don't.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Mar 09, 2016 01:47 |  #10

RodS57 wrote in post #17928499 (external link)
it is possible the drive is partitioned and you have filled one partition.

My Dad's was in this particular pickle - for a couple of weeks he couldn't print anything & when I had a quick look there was no space at all on the 300G C: drive (and almost 600G spare on the D: partition)
I cleaned off all the temp browsing files, along with all the windows updates install files & away he went...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Mar 09, 2016 03:48 |  #11

I know nothing about computers and I rely on programs like Glarys Utilities. Run it weekly, sometimes overnight when the HDD is full and it seems to do the job well. PC runs much quicker afterwards.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

BurnUnit
Joined May 2012
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Mar 10, 2016 10:02 |  #12

RodS57 wrote in post #17928499 (external link)
Select the files you want to work with, left click and start to drag, at the same time press and hold the modifier key (I think holding ctrl will cause a move while shift will be copy). Once over the destination folder release mouse button then modifier key. I think I have which key does what right.

Rod

When moving or copying files in Windows Explorer I've gotten into the habit of selecting the files and doing a RIGHT click and drag to the destination folder. When you release the mouse button a dialog opens that makes you then choose if you want to "move" or "copy" your files.

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Mar 10, 2016 16:45 |  #13

BurnUnit wrote in post #17930453 (external link)
When moving or copying files in Windows Explorer I've gotten into the habit of selecting the files and doing a RIGHT click and drag to the destination folder. When you release the mouse button a dialog opens that makes you then choose if you want to "move" or "copy" your files.

Oh! To be honest I've never tried that. Guess old habits are hard to break.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

BurnUnit
Joined May 2012
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Mar 11, 2016 09:19 as a reply to RodS57's post |  #14

I'd have sworn that doing a left click drag with no keyboard input would "copy" the files to another location by default in WinXP. Doing the same with Ctrl+ added would "move" the files.

But trying the same actions with Win7 Pro does just the opposite. A left click drag "moves" the files by default, and adding Ctrl+ changes the action to "copy". :eek:

A little investigating online also indicates that the copy/move actions can be different if the moving or copying of files is done on the same, or a different, drive or partition. Seems like a lot of variations for a default action.

I think I'm going to stick with doing a right click drag for file moving or copying. :rolleyes:

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Mar 11, 2016 10:35 |  #15

BurnUnit wrote in post #17931601 (external link)
I'd have sworn that doing a left click drag with no keyboard input would "copy" the files to another location by default in WinXP. Doing the same with Ctrl+ added would "move" the files.

But trying the same actions with Win7 Pro does just the opposite. A left click drag "moves" the files by default, and adding Ctrl+ changes the action to "copy". :eek:

A little investigating online also indicates that the copy/move actions can be different if the moving or copying of files is done on the same, or a different, drive or partition. Seems like a lot of variations for a default action.

I think I'm going to stick with doing a right click drag for file moving or copying. :rolleyes:

IIRC if working on the same drive letter the default Left Click/Drag and Drop is to MOVE. When doing the same between different drive letters the default is to COPY. If you also hold the Shift key you should always get a MOVE, if you hold the Ctrl key you always get a COPY. I'm fairly sure that has been the situation since Windows for Workgroups, which is the earliest version of Windows that I can recall using back when I started my Electronic Engineering degree as a mature student.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

2,235 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning out your Desktop HD
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.