Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 25 Mar 2016 (Friday) 23:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Just purchased the Canon 70-200L II

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Mar 28, 2016 12:12 |  #16

BlakeC wrote in post #17951941 (external link)
they are probably selling below MAP and don't wan't to be cut off by their supplier.

TustinMike wrote in post #17951948 (external link)
It's a fantastic lens, enjoy it !

Thanks ... it should be fun to shoot.

As far as selling below MAP... no clue... I wouldn't think this is the case. Again, I think it comes down to GreenToe making money off negotiating deals and making money off the deal. From a business standpoint ... if you are the "middle man" making money off of deal you secure, you wouldn't want the masses to bypass you to make the deal on their own. Just my thoughts...

Hatch

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
LilMan
Joined Nov 2010
Louisiana
Mar 28, 2016 19:02 |  #17

Thanks for the heads up Hatch! I submitted an offer for the 24-70mm f/4 and they came back at $700, which is a $150 less than Amazon. It is a white box, but I'm okay with that.

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Mar 28, 2016 19:08 |  #18

LilMan wrote in post #17952474 (external link)
Thanks for the heads up Hatch! I submitted an offer for the 24-70mm f/4 and they came back at $700, which is a $150 less than Amazon. It is a white box, but I'm okay with that.

Glad to pass on the link. I stumbled upon it in another forum.. gave it a shot.. saved some money. Congrats on the new lens! And, congrats on saving some $$$$ :)

Hatch

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

ebiggs
Joined Oct 2012
Spring Hill, KS
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by ebiggs.
Mar 29, 2016 02:46 |  #19

LilMan wrote in post #17952474 (external link)

I have seen white box 24-70 f4's for about that price at "normal' retailers. They just are hard to find in stock sometimes. So that's not as good of a deal as the one Hatch got.

G1x, EOS 1Ds Mk III, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Mar 29, 2016 07:55 |  #20

ebiggs wrote in post #17952948 (external link)
I have seen white box 24-70 f4's for about that price at "normal' retailers. They just are hard to find in stock sometimes. So that's not as good of a deal as the one Hatch got.

I'm sure depending on the lens, the markup is more/less depending on where it's purchased and how low the retailer is willing to go. Maybe for the area they live in... this was a good deal for them?

Hatch

ebiggs
Joined Oct 2012
Spring Hill, KS
Mar 29, 2016 09:12 as a reply to Hatch1921's post |  #21

I wonder what the mark-up is?

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Mar 29, 2016 09:22 |  #22

ebiggs wrote in post #17953171 (external link)
I wonder what the mark-up is?

No telling... a number of factors to consider... depending on the size of the business. If they can buy a lot of 500 and push them out... I'm sure Canon has a reduced rate versus buying 50 at a shot. Canon does have MAP in place... Minimum Advertised Price so, who knows what the dealers pay? But they are supposed to follow the MAP ... and this keeps the price of the lenses high and we do not see a lot of "undercutting" to drive sales.

Just my$.02... I could be 100% off the mark as well LOL

Hatch

ebiggs
Joined Oct 2012
Spring Hill, KS
Mar 29, 2016 09:28 |  #23

Hatch1921 wrote in post #17953182 (external link)
Just my$.02... I could be 100% off the mark as well LOL

Hatch

Makes as much sense as anything. ;-)a

LilMan
Joined Nov 2010
Louisiana
Mar 29, 2016 14:59 |  #24

I just found this 92 page discussion in the Market Watch forum if anyone else wants to see other POTN member's experiences with GT. Looks like the founder even posted some coupons last summer.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​294479

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Mar 29, 2016 15:11 |  #25

LilMan wrote in post #17953621 (external link)
I just found this 92 page discussion in the Market Watch forum if anyone else wants to see other POTN member's experiences with GT. Looks like the founder even posted some coupons last summer.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​294479

Thank you for pointing this out to me.. I just subscribed to the thread. It looks like a number of people are using the service... that's great!

Thanks again,
Hatch

HelenOster
That's me!
4,311 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Mar 29, 2016 16:56 |  #26

ebiggs wrote in post #17951876 (external link)
This would prevent me from using it. Why is it such a secret? What if there is a problem? How can you be sure it is a Canon USA authorized dealer? I guess I will stick with B&H and Adorama. They both have been good to me for many years. They should not be ashamed to reveal the dealer.

It was a great price! But ...............

That's an easy one! They are an affiliate - of Adorama and no doubt many other authorized dealers. If you reveal the name of the supplier, others may be tempted to by-pass GreenToe altogether, and they will lose their affiliate fee.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

ebiggs
Joined Oct 2012
Spring Hill, KS
Mar 30, 2016 10:34 |  #27

HelenOster wrote in post #17953752 (external link)
That's an easy one! They are an affiliate - of Adorama and no doubt many other authorized dealers. If you reveal the name of the supplier, others may be tempted to by-pass GreenToe altogether, and they will lose their affiliate fee.

I don't understand Helen Oster. Are you saying I should use Greentoe instead of Adorama? I am reluctant to change something that has been as good as you and B&H.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,311 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Mar 30, 2016 14:31 |  #28

ebiggs wrote in post #17954653 (external link)
I don't understand Helen Oster. Are you saying I should use Greentoe instead of Adorama? I am reluctant to change something that has been as good as you and B&H.

No! Not at all. I'm simply clarifying why GreenToe would prefer customers not to reveal to others the source - or the price paid.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Mar 30, 2016 15:17 |  #29

@Ebiggs... trust me... I was SUPER nervous when I made the buy. I've always used B&H and on occasion Adorama, this was a big leap of faith for me. :) I'll use them (GT) again, after reading over most of the 90+ pages here in the Market Place forum about GreenToe, my nerves have been settled. Many happy customers. As I mentioned previously, the worst that can happen is you pay for return shipping if you are not satisfied with the end product.

Just some thoughts.
Hatch

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Apr 07, 2016 09:36 |  #30

Update:

The lens arrived, it was packaged very well. A few test shots and it looks like a winner. I'm going to dial it in this evening and I'll post some shots soon.

If you are in the market, click the link in my signature... GreenToe.... very happy with their service.

More to come...

Hatch

sponsored links

5,302 views & 7 likes for this thread
Just purchased the Canon 70-200L II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.