Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 30 Mar 2016 (Wednesday) 03:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Memory card help

Kenneth ­ Mcgrew
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2016
Mar 30, 2016 03:10 |  #1

Hi,

i have two issues really hopefully you could help me out?

i have a 64gb memory card (Lexar) which i paid alot of money for 150mb per second transfer rate and its failed... it has gone corrupt and lost all my images, the computer wont recognise it any more and asks to format it, interestingly it thinks its only 7gb now if i wanted to format it.

i have tried several free recovery tools but these haven't worked, is it just beyond saving now or is there something else i could try?

secondly, i need to replace it, i only have a Canon 700d, so what memory card do i need, Argos sell an 80mb per sec card alot cheaper, its sandisk too, or is the transfer rate too slow?

thanks
Kenneth

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,505 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by John from PA.
Mar 30, 2016 07:04 |  #2

Kenneth Mcgrew wrote in post #17954315 (external link)
Hi,

i have tried several free recovery tools but these haven't worked, is it just beyond saving now or is there something else i could try?

secondly, i need to replace it, i only have a Canon 700d, so what memory card do i need, Argos sell an 80mb per sec card alot cheaper, its sandisk too, or is the transfer rate too slow?

thanks
Kenneth

Can you let us know exactly what software you have tried? Have you tried the Lexar Image Rescue, available at http://www.lexar.com/i​magerescue (external link). Needless to say some of the software is very good and others so-so.

Before buying another card (and the Sandisk would work fine) what do you have as far as warranty on the Lexar. Since you have a 700D I suspect you are in Europe. In the States we have nice warranties on memory cards so check with Lexar and maybe get a warranty replacement.

Kenneth ­ Mcgrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2016
Mar 30, 2016 07:14 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

thanks, i have tried PhotoRec and a few other free ones but they dont find any images on it, ill try the lexar one see if that's any better

i bought the card on-line, im sure i can send it back for a refund, but id rather try a different brand because its not the refund im too bothered about it was all the photos i took.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,505 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Mar 30, 2016 07:17 as a reply to Kenneth Mcgrew's post |  #4

If that is the Lexar UHS-II then it has a lifetime warranty. Hopefully "buying online" means you bought from a reputable establishment. There are many counterfeit cards in the marketplace, Sandisk being one of the most "faked" cards out there. Often cheap low speed cards are simply relabeled to higher specs.

Kenneth ­ Mcgrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2016
Mar 30, 2016 07:22 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

yeah i did get it from an accredited distributor, i already contacted them this morning and they're happy to replace but i wont trust Lexar in the future, its really annoying as i had some great shots on there, i might try the free trial of the lexar software and ask them to cover the cost of the software to compensate losing my images.

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,715 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 30, 2016 20:14 |  #6

Wait a minutes, first Canon 700D does NOT support UHS-II. It has a UHS-I slot, that means the theoretical limit of the interface is only 104MB/s or pratical limit about 95MB/s. So no reason to spend money on UHS-II card. In fact, it may even cause some slow down.

Yes, Lexar Professional level card has life time warranty, you may want to get it replaced.

As to replacement card, don't bother with UHS-II at all. 700D don't even shoot 4K video. The burst rate isn't too fast either. I think the best bang for the buck is Sandisk Extreme series (45-60MB/s card). The speed itself is overkill for your application, but Extreme series is the lowest cost card that use MLC flash, which is a lot more reliable than the Ultra (TLC flash)

As for data recovery, if you card show up as 7GB, I don't think any recovery software will work. The FW structure is corrupted

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Mar 31, 2016 00:53 |  #7

eelnoraa wrote in post #17955273 (external link)
Wait a minutes, first Canon 700D does NOT support UHS-II. It has a UHS-I slot, that means the theoretical limit of the interface is only 104MB/s or pratical limit about 95MB/s. So no reason to spend money on UHS-II card.

It depends on the volume of photos you shoot really. For me personally, going to UHS-II cards has saved me about 15 minutes per card, dumping a day's shooting from card to computer. I got the Lexar card and reader combo shown below, and it downloads 2.5x as fast as my fastest SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 card. Unlike SanDisk's UHS-II card, it maintains full UHS-I write speed in Canon cameras (SanDisk's UHS-II cards actually write slower in-camera than their Extreme 95mb/s cards, for some reason).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Mar 31, 2016 16:26 |  #8

Yes, for high speed cards it is often the Read speed that is the real value, not the write speed. Assuming a faster card will still run in backwards compatibly mode in a slower device, you can then always pull it out and use its higher speed when pulling down from a suitable card reader.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
Joined Dec 2013
Kawasaki, Japan
Apr 05, 2016 02:07 |  #9

Absolutely correct. The speeds are referring solely to transferring photo s and any files.
After using a 8Gb 80Mb/s card to copy songs and photos, I hating going back to a slower card.

I just got two 256Gb Sandisk cards. 90Mb/s read and 60Mb/s write
I paid $120 each at the time a few months ago.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...xtreme_256gb_sdxc_u​3.html (external link)

The come with a lifetime warranty as well.

The up-charge on the Extreme Pro cards was not worth the marginal speed increase for me.

They do have smaller sizes as well. Good luck in your choices.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links

2,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
Memory card help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.