Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

BigIronCruiser
Joined Mar 2013
South Carolina
Mar 31, 2016 17:24 |  #6451

dmward wrote in post #17956044 (external link)
Did you try the center pin only Fn option?
When I was testing the YN-E3 for them on Canon 5DIII and then tried it on a Fuji XT-1 there was a problem, even in M, until they added the legacy mode that turned off all the control pins.

Since it seems to be working in TTL without the ERR it seems to confirm a communications anomaly as the cause.

I set CFn1 to 1, and saw ERR after 3 shots. Not good. So I then taped over everything except the center pin, and clicked off 25 consecutive shots with no errors. Based on the documentation, it seems like setting CFn1 to 1 would truly disable (de-electrify) everything except the center pin. With CFn1 = 1, however, I'm still seeing close to 3.2V on 3 of the pins, which is exactly what I see with CFn1 = 0.

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Mar 31, 2016 17:42 |  #6452

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #17956255 (external link)
I set CFn1 to 1, and saw ERR after 3 shots. Not good. So I then taped over everything except the center pin, and clicked off 25 consecutive shots with no errors. Based on the documentation, it seems like setting CFn1 to 1 would truly disable (de-electrify) everything except the center pin. With CFn1 = 1, however, I'm still seeing close to 3.2V on 3 of the pins, which is exactly what I see with CFn1 = 0.

I get current on all four TTL pins 3.0 on one and the rest .03 and the center firing pin is 3.0

I AM SHOM

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Mar 31, 2016 18:22 |  #6453

EmaginePixel wrote in post #17956211 (external link)
Rand,

Thanks for your input. I agree we're probably splitting hairs when the unit is about 1/3 to 2/3 stop. But for me, shooting in sunny SoCal at the beach quite often, I needed every wattage coming out of the RL600s especially using modifiers. Here's a sample family portrait at the beach in December about 45 minutes before sunset. Two RL600s barely have enough power for group shots using shoot thru umbrellas.

Settings were ISO 100, 1/200 sec, F9. This exposure already compromised. Ideally I would have liked the ambient to be one stop lower, but then the strobes were maxed out. That's the reason I am afraid that two AD600s would compromise 2 stops... unless I can use High Sync to make up the difference.

In this situation it looks like every 1/3 of a stop counts. :-)

Rand

Gear

BigIronCruiser
Joined Mar 2013
South Carolina
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by BigIronCruiser.
Mar 31, 2016 19:06 |  #6454

abbadon31 wrote in post #17956266 (external link)
I get current on all four TTL pins 3.0 on one and the rest .03 and the center firing pin is 3.0

Strange. I just checked voltages again with CFn set to 1 and 0 in both Manual and TTL. In all 4 combinations, every pin shows between 3.18V and 3.26V except the one nearest the locking pin, which is always 0V. Current and voltage, by the way, would be entirely different measurements.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,588 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by windpig.
Mar 31, 2016 19:10 |  #6455

Rand,

Thanks for your input. I agree we're probably splitting hairs when the unit is about 1/3 to 2/3 stop. But for me, shooting in sunny SoCal at the beach quite often, I needed every wattage coming out of the RL600s especially using modifiers. Here's a sample family portrait at the beach in December about 45 minutes before sunset. Two RL600s barely have enough power for group shots using shoot thru umbrellas.

Settings were ISO 100, 1/200 sec, F9. This exposure already compromised. Ideally I would have liked the ambient to be one stop lower, but then the strobes were maxed out. That's the reason I am afraid that two AD600s would compromise 2 stops... unless I can use High Sync to make up the difference.

QUOTED IMAGE

I think the ambient looks good, any lower, at least to me, wouldn't look right.
Maybe 1/3 to 2/3 stop more of fill.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by abbadon31.
Mar 31, 2016 20:22 |  #6456

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #17956346 (external link)
Strange. I just checked voltages again with CFn set to 1 and 0 in both Manual and TTL. In all 4 combinations, every pin shows between 3.18V and 3.26V except the one nearest the locking pin, which is always 0V. Current and voltage, by the way, would be entirely different measurements.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I AM SHOM

BigIronCruiser
Joined Mar 2013
South Carolina
Mar 31, 2016 21:18 |  #6457

abbadon31 wrote in post #17956418 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by abbadon31 in
./showthread.php?p=179​56418&i=i167405763
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

The pin layout doesn't look like mine. Is yours the Canon version?

Nikon Version:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 31, 2016 22:28 |  #6458

Rand,

QUOTED IMAGE

Well done.
If I had shot this I probably would have had the fill just a bit lower. It looks too lit to me.
I agree that maybe the background could be a bit deeper.

As you've shown, this is one of the more challenging lighting situations.

Here is a similar situation.

IMAGE: http://dmwfotos.com/wp-content/gallery/chook-card/DSC09019-2110.jpg

Single CL-600 camera right. Sun wasn't as bright. The only obvious indication that I had fill light is the shadow of the baby's foot on mom's tummy on the left side.

The light had the standard reflector on it and was probably 20 feet from the group.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by abbadon31.
Mar 31, 2016 22:35 |  #6459

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #17956491 (external link)

Nikon Version:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by BigIronCruiser in
./showthread.php?p=179​56491&i=i101144286

Yes mine in V2 Canon and my batteries are not fully charged in it.

I AM SHOM

feeda
94 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Apr 01, 2016 09:25 |  #6460

Do the currently-shipping AD600B units still have that issue with the handle bumping into the side of the strobe body?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by dmward. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 01, 2016 10:01 |  #6461

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #17956491 (external link)

Nikon Version:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by BigIronCruiser in
./showthread.php?p=179​56491&i=i101144286

Shom or someone will have to ask the engineers but I suspect that the center pin only Fn setting is related to firmware communications rather than physical connection setting. To have a physical switch in the circuit is a hardware consideration that probably wasn't anticipated. That's not to say there isn't a switch capability in the circuit, just one of the things that requirements that could have gone unforeseen. The difficultly then becomes that the camera firmware has to be configured to work with the trigger firmware to ignore voltage on a pin unless its told that there is a communications link.

Its one thing for the trigger firmware to say, don't send any messages, its another thing for the camera to be told, don't listen for messages on this pin.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,069 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by mmmfotografie. 4 edits done in total.
Apr 01, 2016 10:47 |  #6462

feeda wrote in post #17956924 (external link)
Do the currently-shipping AD600B units still have that issue with the handle bumping into the side of the strobe body?

It's a design feature from Godox that they have used before. :mrgreen:

You can redesign/adapt this feature youself by buying a longer bolt and some washers. Then there will be no touching anymore between body and handle.

You can find the needed information in the dedicated thread for the AD600 flash: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​940400

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

BigIronCruiser
Joined Mar 2013
South Carolina
Apr 01, 2016 11:23 |  #6463

dmward wrote in post #17956956 (external link)
Shom or someone will have to ask the engineers but I suspect that the center pin only Fn setting is related to firmware communications rather than physical connection setting. To have a physical switch in the circuit is a hardware consideration that probably wasn't anticipated. That's not to say there isn't a switch capability in the circuit, just one of the things that requirements that could have gone unforeseen. The difficultly then becomes that the camera firmware has to be configured to work with the trigger firmware to ignore voltage on a pin unless its told that there is a communications link.

Its one thing for the trigger firmware to say, don't send any messages, its another thing for the camera to be told, don't listen for messages on this pin.

I'm afraid this isn't going to turn out well for Nikon users. Being realistic, there's a 100% probability that Nikon will never change their firmware to address issues with a 3rd party trigger. So we're probably going to be stranded unless this and the previously reported 1/250 issue can be fixed with Godox firmware updates. I was pretty excited about the new Godox gear, but now I'm having second thoughts. It's fun to test, but I wouldn't trust it for paid work.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Apr 01, 2016 11:29 |  #6464

BigIronCruiser wrote in post #17957066 (external link)
I'm afraid this isn't going to turn out well for Nikon users. Being realistic, there's a 99.9% probability that Nikon won't change their firmware to address issues with a 3rd party trigger. So we're probably going to be stranded unless this and the previously reported 1/250 issue can be fixed with a Godox firmware update.

I just had an X1N with v14 firmware arrive at my house. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but tonight I'll test the HSS out and let you know.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Ulysses01
Joined Jul 2013
Apr 01, 2016 12:30 |  #6465

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17957074 (external link)
I just had an X1N with v14 firmware arrive at my house. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but tonight I'll test the HSS out and let you know.

I see you shoot with a Nikon D750 and look forward to reading your test feedback. If you also have a colleague with other Nikon models, please try to check those out if at all possible.

sponsored links

1,121,445 views & 261 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.