Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 07 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 12:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does Dropbox change the Quality of your pictures

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 09, 2016 09:31 |  #16

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17848562 (external link)
But, files can change size moving from one file system to another. It won't be anything radical but it will happen.

seanlockephotography wrote in post #17850153 (external link)
Then it isn't a copy. Copying or moving files should change nothing.

It is possible for total file size to change slightly when copying files from one system to another. It will normally happen when there is a major change in disk capacity and/or filesystem type. It can also depend on how the file's size is reported. Different file systems, such as FAT, FAT32, NTFS, or EXT3 for example, use different block sizes, the block size is also dependent on the partion size. The block size is the smallest sized block of data that can be written to disk. A file that contains 1 byte of data, and one that is at block size, will occupy the same ammount of disk space. Very often the file size is reported as the actual number of Bytes of used data, but sometimes it will be reported as the size on disk. If you change system so that you now have a significantly different block size, you can quite easily change the actual size on the disk. The data stored will be the same in each case.

This was much more significant when the file system was based on 8 or 16 bit data structures. Now we are using 32 or 64 bit data structures for the filesystem that is less of a problem. For example a 16 bit file system can only hold 65536 address locations, which is also the maximum number of files possible. In this case a 256MB drive would have a block size of 4096 bytes (4KB). So the smallest file you could have is 4KB. With a 32 bit file system you get 4,294,967,296 addresses and a 4KB block size would give you a 16 TB drive. Under a 16 bit file system you would need to use a 16 KB block size to have a 1 GB drive, while a 32 bit system could comfortably address that to the byte. Actually a 32 bit system can address a 4 GB drive to the byte. Oh and a 64 bit system has 1.84467441×10^19 addresses avilable (add 11 more zeros to the end, and move the decimal point all the way over to visualise how big that is). I think we will be OK with 64 bit systems for a while, but I as I remember thinking 16 bit systems seeming to be huge, maybe I shouldn't bank on them lasting too long.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

jmweb
508 posts
Joined Jan 2011
PEI
Feb 28, 2016 07:00 |  #17

From what I understand there may be issues if they are downloading them via browser. They may only save at 72DPI this way instead of xDPI if you use the app...but this information may be out of date.

YoUtUbE: Lens Make A Picture Channel (external link) Adventure Vlogger/Photographer
Capturing the Aurora Watch (external link)
Episode 22: Hopewell Rocks Watch (external link)

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Kent UK
Apr 02, 2016 12:25 |  #18

Dito what jimweb said, plus if they have downloaded it on a phone or tablet the file size maybe smaller as well.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisagefolkestone​.com (external link)

douglala
39 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Jan 10, 2017 11:09 |  #19

I have experienced the same using the Dropbox app. The viewer does lower the quality of the photo a bit. But if you export the image and save to your phone you are back to your original image.

12,117 views & 3 likes for this thread
Does Dropbox change the Quality of your pictures
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.