Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 26 May 2015 (Tuesday) 23:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

CheetahStand​ RiceBowl RB-90 / RB-120

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Mar 04, 2016 10:42 |  #256

FWIW, I did my own "chopstick" test with the RB-120 and found out that this mounting option was, in a word, useless. In a true parabolic, like the Briese or the Broncolor copies, the shape of the reflector is mathematically precise such that there is a focal point. With the strobe tube at the focal point, you get a nice large light source. Pushing the light behind the focal point gets you a very small hotspot (not too useful) and as you pull the light in front of the focal point, you get a ring-shaped light source that moves towards the outer rim of the reflector. This ring light acts gives a very nice even illumination of the subject without directional shadows and without a center hotspot, just like a beauty dish used close up. This effect is why people get these modifiers.

So, what I did for my test was set up the RB-120 with a boom stand on the center axis, with an unfolded 600ex-rt speedlite on the end. I had a Sto-fen diffusor on the speedlite so that it acts as a point source, much like a strobe head with a frosted dome. What I found is that I did not get the light patterns of a parabolic, and that the RB-120 has no focal point. It behaves more like an umbrella, pretty much filling the reflector no matter where I put the strobe. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed, but not surprised as I knew the RB-120 was not parabolic. It's a great modifier when used as intended, fantastic in fact, but I see no reason to indirectly mount the light in an adjustable way. The Dim sum reflector makes more sense to me for this product.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links
abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Mar 04, 2016 10:53 |  #257

I find indirect to produce a different light and not sure about your comment. It changes the focus of light and has a different effect then umbrella, but again everyone has their right to ther own opinion. ;)

I AM SHOM

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Mar 04, 2016 11:18 |  #258

abbadon31 wrote in post #17923239 (external link)
I find indirect to produce a different light and not sure about your comment. It changes the focus of light and has a different effect then umbrella, but again everyone has their right to ther own opinion. ;)

It does still direct the light more than an umbrella due to depth, yes. But I was not able to get the ring light effect with mine, no matter where I placed the light source along the center axis. If it's of value to people considering this option, I can make a video of sliding a bare LED bulb from back to front along the axis, sufficiently stopped down to see the lighting pattern. I might have time Sunday to do this and Youtube it. I was trying to reproduce Karl Taylor's demonstration of the Broncolor paras.

calico
48 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Mar 04, 2016 11:51 as a reply to absplastic's post |  #259

I tried to produce that "ring of light" with parabolic umbrellas without any success.
Here is a good video of Proncolor para where at 01:57 ring of light is visible. https://vimeo.com/3280​4725 (external link)
I'd like to know if that's possible just with Broncolor and Briese. I'm afraid I won't like the answer.

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Mar 04, 2016 12:00 |  #260

calico wrote in post #17923315 (external link)
I tried to produce that "ring of light" with parabolic umbrellas without any success.
Here is a good video of Proncolor para where at 01:57 ring of light is visible. https://vimeo.com/3280​4725 (external link)
I'd like to know if that's possible just with Broncolor and Briese. I'm afraid I won't like the answer.

My inability to get this effect is why I'm working on this modification:

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​451130

That is version 1.0, made from inferior materials and a bit too large, but I'm remaking it with proper mirror-coated black rip-stop nylon and will follow up with the end results when I have it done and have used it on a shoot.

calico
48 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Mar 04, 2016 12:24 as a reply to absplastic's post |  #261

Haha yes good idea. Please do follow up.
I was thinking of putting a disc or a cone in front of a strobe like on this little graph. I'll try it this summer.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by abbadon31.
Mar 04, 2016 12:47 |  #262

The purpose of a para is to focus and throw light a longer distance. Don't take is as a umbrella/octa/softbox, or strip. If your shooting at 4 feet that not what it was made for.

I AM SHOM

kn_guy87
165 posts
Joined May 2003
OC, CA
Mar 04, 2016 14:53 |  #263

absplastic wrote in post #17923221 (external link)
FWIW, I did my own "chopstick" test with the RB-120 and found out that this mounting option was, in a word, useless. In a true parabolic, like the Briese or the Broncolor copies, the shape of the reflector is mathematically precise such that there is a focal point. With the strobe tube at the focal point, you get a nice large light source. Pushing the light behind the focal point gets you a very small hotspot (not too useful) and as you pull the light in front of the focal point, you get a ring-shaped light source that moves towards the outer rim of the reflector. This ring light acts gives a very nice even illumination of the subject without directional shadows and without a center hotspot, just like a beauty dish used close up. This effect is why people get these modifiers.

So, what I did for my test was set up the RB-120 with a boom stand on the center axis, with an unfolded 600ex-rt speedlite on the end. I had a Sto-fen diffusor on the speedlite so that it acts as a point source, much like a strobe head with a frosted dome. What I found is that I did not get the light patterns of a parabolic, and that the RB-120 has no focal point. It behaves more like an umbrella, pretty much filling the reflector no matter where I put the strobe. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed, but not surprised as I knew the RB-120 was not parabolic. It's a great modifier when used as intended, fantastic in fact, but I see no reason to indirectly mount the light in an adjustable way. The Dim sum reflector makes more sense to me for this product.

Good to know. Thanks for the info

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Mar 04, 2016 19:21 |  #264

kn_guy87 wrote in post #17923549 (external link)
Good to know. Thanks for the info

Before losing hope, see also this discussion:

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​923869

My test with the speedlite is not ideal, and nixland is getting better results with a bare bulb and similar softbox.

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Valencia, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by PhilF. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 04, 2016 21:20 |  #265

absplastic wrote in post #17923263 (external link)
I can make a video of sliding a bare LED bulb from back to front along the axis, sufficiently stopped down to see the lighting pattern. I might have time Sunday to do this and Youtube it. I was trying to reproduce Karl Taylor's demonstration of the Broncolor paras.

would really appreciate it.

Using the RB-90 for high school wrestling portraits

HOSTED PHOTO

result

HOSTED PHOTO

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

Ulysses01
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Ulysses01.
Mar 07, 2016 01:07 |  #266

abbadon31 wrote in post #17923387 (external link)
The purpose of a para is to focus and throw light a longer distance. Don't take is as a umbrella/octa/softbox, or strip. If your shooting at 4 feet that not what it was made for.

I think what absplastic is getting at (and I've seen the same thing in demos) is that the Rice Bowl may give you more throw, but it's not able to actually focus the light, kinda like having a lens of the wrong shape can't quite focus the light in the way you might want. Still, changing the throw can be useful. :-)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Apr 05, 2016 10:25 |  #267

The 120 is on order... looking forward to shooting with it. Nice example shots in the thread btw.

Thanks for all the info.
Hatch

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

h_scott_a
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Aug 18, 2016 16:31 |  #268

I've used my RB-90 on 3 shoots now and love it. I do, however, have some feedback regarding the 4 color coded rod tips that you match to the speedring. The 4 color coded rods have a slight indentation in the tip where the paint is applied. After only being used twice, the red is completely gone and the green is getting there. While it's possible to figure out what goes where after finding the indented tips, being able to see the color does save some time & frustration, especially if setting up in the shade.

My solution: I had a pack of Scotch/3M #35 1/2" colored electrical tape (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow & White). I simply cut a length of about an inch off of the roll and wrapped it around the rod right below the metal tips. The larger area with color enables you to find the correct rod even quicker. Colored heat shrink would work as well but I already had the tape for color coding wires.

Not sure if Edward would be interested in this modification but something similar would definitely last longer than paint on the metal tips on the rods that is easily scraped off with use.

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by absplastic. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 18, 2016 17:50 as a reply to h_scott_a's post |  #269

The paint is worn off on mine as well, but it doesn't really matter since the color coding was arbitrary. I just assemble it by putting every 4th rod into every 4th hole, then put in all the ones in between, no care for what color goes where. The whole assembly rotates on the speedring, so it has no bearing on final orientation.

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Aug 18, 2016 21:15 |  #270

absplastic wrote in post #18099411 (external link)
The paint is worn off on mine as well, but it doesn't really matter since the color coding was arbitrary. I just assemble it by putting every 4th rod into every 4th hole, then put in all the ones in between, no care for what color goes where. The whole assembly rotates on the speedring, so it has no bearing on final orientation.

That all depends on if your using the RiceBowl Color Coded U Bracket and the placement of the zipper, because the U bracket don't spin.

HOSTED PHOTO

I AM SHOM

sponsored links

73,937 views & 116 likes for this thread
CheetahStand​ RiceBowl RB-90 / RB-120
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.