Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 13 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 17:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Engagement Session, Editorial Style

choicejadephotography
Joined Jan 2016
St. Louis, MO
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by choicejadephotography. 6 edits done in total.
Apr 13, 2016 17:07 |  #1

I shot this "styled-ish" engagement session this past Saturday. And I got to test my new Sigma 35mm Art lens and am loving it. We started out in the city, along Maryland Plaza in Central West End (you know where I'm talking about if you're from St. Louis) and headed to the Forest Park. This park is HUGE and a very popular place for photos. But I scouted a few cool spots that are rarely photographed. I was trying something a little bit different.

Here are the results. More images from the session can be found here: http://www.choicejadep​hotography.com ...ral-west-end-forest-park/ (external link). CC welcome!

IMAGE: http://www.choicejadephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/engagement-photo-inspirations_8267.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.choicejadephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/engagement-photo-inspirations_8331.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.choicejadephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/engagement-photo-inspirations_8378.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.choicejadephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/engagement-photo-inspirations_8405.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.choicejadephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/engagement-photo-inspirations_8453.jpg

More images from the session can be found here: http://www.choicejadep​hotography.com ...ral-west-end-forest-park/ (external link). CC welcome!

a st. louis wedding photographer (external link), blending photojournalism and fine art, striving to create fresh, dynamic, and timeless imagery for sophisticated couples in the greater st. louis metropolitan area and beyond.

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by saea501.
Apr 14, 2016 06:46 |  #2

The first thing that I noticed is that he appears to be completely bored and detached.....except in picture 5 where he has a little bit of a smile. Also I just don't see any close relationship between the two. Maybe that's because he looks so disinterested.

The whites look a bit too hot to me in some of these as well. Focus looks a little soft too. But maybe that's what you wanted.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

choicejadephotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
St. Louis, MO
Apr 14, 2016 16:39 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #17971427 (external link)
The first thing that I noticed is that he appears to be completely bored and detached.....except in picture 5 where he has a little bit of a smile. Also I just don't see any close relationship between the two. Maybe that's because he looks so disinterested.

The whites look a bit too hot to me in some of these as well. Focus looks a little soft too. But maybe that's what you wanted.

Thanks for the CC! Yeah, I was trying something different than what I would normally shoot--you know, interaction, emotions and all that. So the detachment/disinterest​ed look was exactly what I was aiming at: "editorial" so to speak. :-)

The sky in some pictures were washed out because they were back-lit and I wasn't using any artificial light or modifier. But the highlights were not blown out. I did pay attention to the histogram.

As for softness, I agree that maybe the focus in the last one is a bit off. And I was purposefully shooting wide open at 1.4 just to test how sharp the lens was. Maybe compression is part of it?

a st. louis wedding photographer (external link), blending photojournalism and fine art, striving to create fresh, dynamic, and timeless imagery for sophisticated couples in the greater st. louis metropolitan area and beyond.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Apr 19, 2016 16:49 |  #4

I see what you were going for here. I didn't have much issue with them (although I just don't like #1). Because of the style you were doing, I didn't have a problem with blown out skies or softer focus, it worked with the style. ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

choicejadephotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
St. Louis, MO
May 01, 2016 19:07 |  #5

BrickR wrote in post #17977634 (external link)
I see what you were going for here. I didn't have much issue with them (although I just don't like #1). Because of the style you were doing, I didn't have a problem with blown out skies or softer focus, it worked with the style. ;)

Thanks!

Is there any particular reason you don't like #1?

texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
May 01, 2016 20:19 |  #6

I agree with above to some extent. She was much better in front of the camera than he was. But I like the style that you were going for, very cool.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,974 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
May 01, 2016 20:38 |  #7

I also see what you were going for and I think #2 is the closest to that particular look IMO.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
May 01, 2016 23:36 |  #8

choicejadephotography wrote in post #17992313 (external link)
Thanks!

Is there any particular reason you don't like #1?

The outfits and poses don't work with the scene.... and the scene is the focal point actually, because of the framing.
The outfits don't match the scene and they each have different poses, style wise.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

jclaveria1
34 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 17, 2016 01:23 as a reply to choicejadephotography's post |  #9

Sorry for my long C&C but I've done shoots like this several times before learning how to get the couple to show how they naturally are.

In these series, I find that he is not very prepared for this. There are a lot of guys who have a hard time with an engagement shoot. Either they fear it too much, looks corny to them or they feel out of their comfort zone. There are tons of reason why this happens.

Here's my detailed c&c
Picture No. 1: He is robotic. Most likely the beginning of the shoot. She says lets do this.
Picture No. 2: He thinks "What am I doing here?" She starts to pose and ready.
Picture No. 3: She is really convincing him. He's thinking hard.
Picture No 4: Some real fun. He is loosening up... a little bit more natural grin will do the trick. A collection of these would do great.
Picture No. 5: He's just really tired.

Engagement photos should express the love BOTH ways.

You need to convince the groom that you are not part of the scene. One of the better ways to do this is have them do an activity together while on the shoot. This will make the guy loosen up for the shoot. I would usually say something like "Sit under that tree as if you are in a world by yourselves, have fun and relax". Let them naturally pose as they would before starting to shoot. Don't even try to shoot until he is focused on her and not on you as a photographer. Sometimes you have to explain to them its their day together so they should enjoy just like a date in the woods or in the park. Shoot using a zoom, and get closer as he becomes more relax. After that magic just happens.

BlackBull
Joined Sep 2012
Lancashire
May 18, 2016 06:54 |  #10

Editorial isn't really a style I go for so it's not to my taste but ignoring that bit all these photos seem too over exposed for me. The highlights are just a bit too blown.

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by BlakeC.
May 18, 2016 07:03 |  #11

Not my style but I still like them. It's a nice change of pace, especially if the clients prefer/like this style. BlackBull mentioned they seem over-exposed...that would be his preference as well. I know the "over-exposed" look is just another style that some like and some don't. Weather or not you intended to do it, I think you pulled off the "over-exposed" look well. They look good, but they don't strike me as "engagement photos." Then again, that might be what you are going for. A little more interaction between the two would be nice. Maybe you have other shots that show a little more... love? These photos make me feel a little sad looking at them, except for #4 where they are together smiling.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

sponsored links

3,635 views & 8 likes for this thread
Engagement Session, Editorial Style
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.