Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 10 Apr 2016 (Sunday) 19:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Switched to Panasonic bridge cameras

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 10, 2016 19:38 |  #1

First, I'm sorry Canon and all loyal Canonists. I was always a dedicated Canon man from the early 70's on. But no more.

I wanted a small camera better than a phone or a P&S. I found the Panasonic FZ200 for a good price used and was sold. Now most of my Canon gear is gone. I simply see no reason to have all of that equipment when the FZ200 did what I wanted it to do AND I could get an external flash for bounce. No, technically it will not do what my 50D would do or even the 5D.

Now the issue is that I am going to pick up a second Panasonic. So the wife and I will be able to shoot together (you know that sharing stuff wives talk about.) I am stuck right now between the Pan FZ 300 and the FZ1000. The FZ1000 is supposed to have a better image. But I swear, all of the comparisons I could find of actual images and video, it looks like the FZ300 is better! Find the video comparison on youtube and see if you agree.

Any reason I shouldn't get the wife the FZ300 instead of the FZ1000 or do we have another comparison out there I can look at? Image quality is king to me and by far the most important feature. The price difference isn't important. I want the best image.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by teekay. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 10, 2016 23:20 |  #2

Check out Dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.co​m ...ndup-long-zoom-compacts/8 (external link)

Here's a quote from their review conclusion of the FZ300:

"Price-wise, the difference between the two cameras is not astronomical, which is why if you're considering buying the FZ300, we recommend saving up a bit more and springing for the FZ1000. Though its lens is not quite as versatile as the FZ300's, and its body is not weather-sealed, the substantially larger size of its sensor makes it worth the money."

I should add that I am biased. I have the FZ1000 and consider it one of the best camera choices I ever made. I have several Canons but rarely pick them up since I got the FZ1000.:-D

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 11, 2016 02:34 |  #3

Right. I keep reading that. I won't lose either way.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,834 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Apr 11, 2016 09:55 as a reply to HoosierJoe's post |  #4

I had the FZ1000; have the FZ300 now. Zero question in my mind that the larger-sensored FZ1000 will produce better images, especially as conditions get a bit challenging. If this were to be my primary camera I would certainly go with the FZ1000. Having said that, the FZ300 is quite good, and adds versatility of longer zoom and WR. It works for me as complement to my ILC kit.

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 11, 2016 12:04 |  #5

After thinking and looking at comparisons online, I do believe I will go with the FZ1000 for the wife. I will primarily use the FZ200.

My reasoning is more of an image to work with should I need it. Also, I can set it to the Intelligent Auto Plus mode or any of those other preset situation modes for her and she will be happy with the results. She is camera shy about changing settings and all of that obsessive stuff I do.

This will arrive in time for her birthday. I plan to give it to her, tell her it is something I thought we could do together, and watch the spousal points meter increase.

teekay
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 11, 2016 18:29 |  #6

HoosierJoe wrote in post #17968227 (external link)
... I do believe I will go with the FZ1000....I can set it to the Intelligent Auto Plus mode or any of those other preset situation modes for her and she will be happy with the results.....

Good choice - I wish somebody would give me birthday presents like that.;-)a I've only used IA mode a few times to check it out, but I have been amazed how well it works in some tough situations such as hand-held night shots, so I'm sure she'll be happy.

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 12, 2016 18:51 |  #7

I found this external flash that I will pick up. It has decent reviews. Not as good as a Nissin or Metz but still good enough for light use. I will use it for the FZ200 and the FZ1000.

http://www.amazon.com ...h-Speedlite/dp/B00UHNT8X​A (external link)

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 14, 2016 09:55 |  #8

Oh dogs! There is a problem with my order for the 1000. I may not get it in time for her birthday.

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 15, 2016 10:22 |  #9

As it turns out, I will not be getting the FZ1000 for the spouse. Without all of the dramatics and backstory, things got screwed around with Amazon and it was not going to arrive for her bday. I ended up getting her a Canon sx60 that will arrive before her bday, and she will never be the wiser.

I still have the Lumix FZ200 and took it to a baseball game last pm. Eventually I will post pics. It's the first real workout for it.

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 18, 2016 13:41 |  #10

The saga continues. The FZ200 has developed a focusing issue. It is still barely under a warranty and I am sending it in.

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 21, 2016 08:34 |  #11

Update. The FZ200 was returned to the online store that sold it to me due to not focusing when zoom is extended past half way. They refunded the purchase without a problem. I am looking around for another one. I see that Cameta Camera has them new for 297 and other retailers have them refurb as low as 239.

I also see an fz300 for sale on POTN but it is more than I want to spend at the moment.

On a good note: the wife ended up with a Canon sx60 which she loves. I have fooled with it quite a lot. It takes good pics and works great with external flash, but I find the FZ200 much easier to use. The SX60 is a bit complicated to find everything, and the P mode is really Auto and the Auto is an intelligent auto. So there is no P mode like there was on my dslr Canon or on the FZ200. Disappointing because that is what I shoot in.

sponsored links

2,031 views & 2 likes for this thread
Switched to Panasonic bridge cameras
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.