Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 06 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 15:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

50mm 1.2L II?

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by PCousins.
Apr 20, 2016 10:15 |  #16

Rittrato wrote in post #17974151 (external link)
Don't think the improvement in performance will be much. The value to performance aspect of photography gear has reached the point of diminishing returns IMHO. The current 50L is one of Canon's finest and is widely adored by professionals (Jeff Ascough and Jasmine Star to name a couple). It's still a rock star performer.

And the price tag on these would probably be $1899-$1999 which is a ton of money for a prime 50 IMO. I remember when the 35Lii was announced, a lot of photographers were giddy for it. Fast forward now, and most people would agree that the original 35L is more than enough to get the job done.

I was hesitant to buy the version II of the 24-70 f/2.8 as I didn't think you could improve on the Mk1. How wrong I was. Without going into reasons, so much better all round. It helped me to decide to go to the version II 70-200 f/2.8, again such a vast improvement. I also changed my 85 f/1.2 for the mk 2 version.

I cannot see any reason why the performance will not be much if Canon bring out a 50L II. Going on the examples given I can only imagine it will be brilliant. I always found the 50L too soft. Canon have lagged behind on their 50L. I truly believe it will be a winner and there will be many people out there that will consider $2k well spent especially when they get a good return on selling their mk 1 versions that can go towards the costs. The so called professionals who adore their mk 1's believe me will be trading them in as quick as lightning.

Gear List

sponsored links
Rittrato
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined May 2010
Apr 20, 2016 14:54 |  #17

pixel_junkie wrote in post #17977630 (external link)
That's because the 35L is pretty much perfect already, does everything well. The 50L does not.

I thought it's damn near perfect, but I don't really pixel peep and the AF issue is overblown, tbqh...

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined May 2010
Apr 20, 2016 15:02 |  #18

PCousins wrote in post #17978347 (external link)
I was hesitant to buy the version II of the 24-70 f/2.8 as I didn't think you could improve on the Mk1. How wrong I was. Without going into reasons, so much better all round. It helped me to decide to go to the version II 70-200 f/2.8, again such a vast improvement. I also changed my 85 f/1.2 for the mk 2 version.

I cannot see any reason why the performance will not be much if Canon bring out a 50L II. Going on the examples given I can only imagine it will be brilliant. I always found the 50L too soft. Canon have lagged behind on their 50L. I truly believe it will be a winner and there will be many people out there that will consider $2k well spent especially when they get a good return on selling their mk 1 versions that can go towards the costs. The so called professionals who adore their mk 1's believe me will be trading them in like as quick as lightning.

The original 24-70 was a lackluster lens, it's no surprise it was trumped by the version II. Again, if we're going by the same treatment the 35L II received, I just don't foresee much value in it when Canon replaces the 50 1.2. Not saying it shouldn't be replaced, at some point it will be, but if all it can offer is a bit of sharpness, I can't see most current 50L owners upgrading once the real world tests are in...

Just my 02 cents.

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
1,981 posts
Joined May 2007
Southern California
Apr 20, 2016 16:03 |  #19

Rittrato wrote in post #17978690 (external link)
... the AF issue is overblown, tbqh...

Maybe, depending on your shooting style. But it's there and that's my beef with it.

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

Nortonski
Joined Oct 2013
Good ole Blighty
Apr 20, 2016 18:16 |  #20

pixel_junkie wrote in post #17978757 (external link)
Maybe, depending on your shooting style. But it's there and that's my beef with it.

It does indeed depend upon your shooting style, it doesn't affect me personally & I have to say - the 50L 1.2 is currently my all time favourite lens. I'll not be upgrading unless it blows the current model away...

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Apr 20, 2016 18:56 |  #21

I want them to bring back the 50mm 1.0, Maybe im just crazy but 1.2 doesnt even satisfy me anymore.

Im saving up to buy the rangefinder mount Canon 50mm 0.95 to use on my Sony.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined May 2010
Apr 20, 2016 19:14 |  #22

maverick75 wrote in post #17978923 (external link)
I want them to bring back the 50mm 1.0, Maybe im just crazy but 1.2 doesnt even satisfy me anymore.

Im saving up to buy the rangefinder mount Canon 50mm 0.95 to use on my Sony.

That would be interesting for sure, but how much more blur does people want? lol. I've seen the samples between both 1.2 and 1.0 and I can't tell the difference (similar to f/1,4 and f/1.2) There's a reason why the 50 F/10 was quickly replaced.

But to each his own...

sponsored links

8,868 views & 1 like for this thread
50mm 1.2L II?
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.