Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 17 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 20:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

NON MOVING "CAR PORTRAITS" LETS SEE YOUR BEST!

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
Joined Oct 2007
Palmetto, FL
Apr 25, 2016 09:14 as a reply to post 17984188 |  #3871
banned

There are so many things wrong with this photo. Are you looking for critique?

sponsored links
urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Apr 25, 2016 10:19 |  #3872

96whiteknight wrote in post #17984260 (external link)
There are so many things wrong with this photo. Are you looking for critique?

I'm quite curious to hear you pick fault lol!

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
Joined Oct 2007
Palmetto, FL
Apr 25, 2016 10:29 as a reply to urbanfreestyle's post |  #3873
banned

Why is that? :-)

urbanfreestyle
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Apr 25, 2016 11:44 |  #3874

96whiteknight wrote in post #17984340 (external link)
Why is that? :-)

I wouldnt class it as SO many things wrong, there is room for improvement to make it what i would class as perfect but it's far from a bad shot! lol

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
Joined Oct 2007
Palmetto, FL
Apr 25, 2016 12:01 as a reply to urbanfreestyle's post |  #3875
banned

I just looked over for it again for less than 5 seconds and found at least 6 things that make this a "not-so-great" photo. I'm sure I could find more in another 5 seconds.

urbanfreestyle
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Apr 25, 2016 12:03 |  #3876

96whiteknight wrote in post #17984471 (external link)
I just looked over for it again for less than 5 seconds and found at least 6 things that make this a "not-so-great" photo. I'm sure I could find more in another 5 seconds.

can i hear your feedback?

Facebook (external link)

ericvphoto
Joined May 2015
Minneapolis
Apr 25, 2016 15:40 |  #3877

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17984451 (external link)
I wouldnt class it as SO many things wrong, there is room for improvement to make it what i would class as perfect but it's far from a bad shot! lol

You're right, it's not bad. It's terrible.

flickr (external link)
| Sony A7II | Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 ZA | Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.8 |

TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Apr 25, 2016 18:18 |  #3878

ericvphoto wrote in post #17984706 (external link)
You're right, it's not bad. It's terrible.

Oh boy - piling on, very nice. How about some constructive criticism for the guy ?

All New Year, All New Sig !

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Apr 25, 2016 18:57 |  #3879

TustinMike wrote in post #17984904 (external link)
Oh boy - piling on, very nice. How about some constructive criticism for the guy ?

+1, thank you.

Guys, I am open, give me your thoughts, it's always good to have different point of views ;-)a
(if it's about the tightness, it's on purpose)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

kanecvl
Joined Dec 2015
Apr 25, 2016 19:10 as a reply to post 17870363 |  #3880

Awesome picture

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Apr 25, 2016 19:13 |  #3881

Everythings open

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

kanecvl
Joined Dec 2015
Apr 25, 2016 19:21 |  #3882

se7enxn9ne wrote in post #17873915 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

I may be a little biased toward the bimmers. But these look awesome :mrgreen:

kanecvl
Joined Dec 2015
Apr 25, 2016 19:23 |  #3883

96whiteknight wrote in post #17876648 (external link)
I wish I could say this was from a paid shoot. The driver actually just pulled into the field to fill up on race fuel. I turned around and happened to be in the right spot.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/CCGT​CP] (external link)
Untitled (external link) by Michael Bartley (external link), on Flickr

Havent like mustangs in a while... The 5.0 looks fierce

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
Joined Oct 2007
Palmetto, FL
Apr 25, 2016 19:50 |  #3884
banned

kanecvl wrote in post #17984983 (external link)
Havent like mustangs in a while... The 5.0 looks fierce

It was very, very fast in the 1/2 mile!

TustinMike wrote in post #17984904 (external link)

I wasn't sure if he even wanted criticism on the photo. There are so many sensitive people in here, it's hard to tell sometimes.

The first six things I noticed:

1. My eye goes straight to the background, despite the overly tight crop. Background is sunny, subject is in the shade.
2. The overly tight crop. Why was this on purpose? Was it because of the busy background? Try a different spot, maybe.
3. Front wheel is turned in the wrong direction, unless you want to show how much tread is left on the tires.
4. The angle of the car seems off. We need to see more of the side.
5. Mosaic license plate is very distracting.
6. Shot at bad time of day. This ties in with the first. Harsh shadows, dark subject, etc.

Was this a "for sale" shoot? FWIW, the second shot you posted is better, but it makes the car look like a transformer. I have a feeling that was on purpose, though. -?

Holster
Goldmember
1,096 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2007
Minnesota
Apr 25, 2016 21:09 |  #3885

96whiteknight wrote in post #17985019 (external link)
It was very, very fast in the 1/2 mile!

I wasn't sure if he even wanted criticism on the photo. There are so many sensitive people in here, it's hard to tell sometimes.

The first six things I noticed:

1. My eye goes straight to the background, despite the overly tight crop. Background is sunny, subject is in the shade.
2. The overly tight crop. Why was this on purpose? Was it because of the busy background? Try a different spot, maybe.
3. Front wheel is turned in the wrong direction, unless you want to show how much tread is left on the tires.
4. The angle of the car seems off. We need to see more of the side.
5. Mosaic license plate is very distracting.
6. Shot at bad time of day. This ties in with the first. Harsh shadows, dark subject, etc.

Was this a "for sale" shoot? FWIW, the second shot you posted is better, but it makes the car look like a transformer. I have a feeling that was on purpose, though. -?

I agree with you on some of these. The crop is a taste thing as we all know Photosguy will hardly ever give his subjects room in the frame. The exposure and post process isn't very sound when you look at the entire shot but that's clearly just something the OP needs to work on.

As for the "Bad time of day" part I completely disagree in that. You should be able to shoot at any time of day and still come out with great photographs even in natural light. Some of my favorite times to shoot are at high noon. It takes a different approach but the results can be stunning.

From your post history it sounds like you like getting on the newbies as if you never were new at this. Maybe you picked up a camera and shot brilliant photographs from day one but I really doubt it. Maybe instead of making troll-ish remarks without giving any helpful advice you wouldn't sound like you're up on a high horse. Its easy to forget that you're talking to another human being with feelings at the other end of the internet. This is supposed to be a community not a pissing contest.

Case in point. We all started out at the bottom. Wheel turned the wrong way, over sharpened, and weird angle but you're much better now.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3085/2712518516_0286f45ee7_z.jpg?zz=1
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/58Gn​fC] (external link)IMG_5321c (external link) by Michael Bartley (external link), on Flickr

WEBSITE (external link)
Flick (external link)r

sponsored links

949,467 views & 5479 likes for this thread
NON MOVING "CAR PORTRAITS" LETS SEE YOUR BEST!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.