Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 26 Apr 2016 (Tuesday) 14:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What would be the best way to get rid of the blue?

andrewliu
Joined Jan 2012
Apr 26, 2016 14:26 |  #1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,723 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Apr 26, 2016 14:46 |  #2

What do you want it to be?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.
Apr 26, 2016 15:03 |  #3

I think the bigger issue are the glaringly bright windows!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,723 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Apr 26, 2016 15:05 |  #4

The windows are bright, as Wilt pints out. A different time of day would be beneficial. If you have LR or PS just turn down the blue/aqua channel. Or mask the area and put what you want there.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

PhotosGuy
74,882 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 26, 2016 15:52 |  #5

Do you mean the blue around the two reflections on the floor?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Apr 26, 2016 16:15 |  #6

RGB curves layer in photoshop, you can bring up or lower the blue levels. Then layer mask to tweak it only where needed.

Phlearn.com is a great place for tutorials.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

armis
Joined Jan 2012
Apr 27, 2016 06:29 |  #7

Or just paint a color layer, sampling the floor's color with the eyedropper.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

andrewliu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
Apr 28, 2016 23:10 |  #8

Yeah, the two windows are super bright. is there a way to do that? I guess bracketing would be best way instead of waiting for a different time to shoot? I'll try some of the methods you guys said about turning down the blue, to see what happens.

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
May 14, 2016 13:01 |  #9

andrewliu wrote in post #17988946 (external link)
Yeah, the two windows are super bright. is there a way to do that? I guess bracketing would be best way instead of waiting for a different time to shoot? I'll try some of the methods you guys said about turning down the blue, to see what happens.

I think this all depends on what this shot is for, if this is supposed to have a high end finish, vs a quick-ish real estate style shot, then there are some things that can be done differently on-site. Taking steps to address these issues on-site will give you better results than relying on brackets to fix it all in post.

The best ways would be to either flag or diffuse the window light, or use flash. Since you're working while the place is open, flagging the window may be tough, so that means your best bet is to use flash to balance the window light with the interior. Even if you bracket, your floor is still going to have a lot of glare, as the ratio of window to interior light is the same, just at different exposure values. You could do some HDR to compress the values, but the glare will still be there.

Using flash, at least in the area near the window, allows you to compress this ratio, but unlike HDR, the floor/ceiling will be evenly lit. You don't necessarily need to light the whole area, you could get away with flashing the floor and the ceiling (possibly different frames), and blending that into this exposure in a seamless manner.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 22, 2016 10:24 |  #10

mltn wrote in post #18006924 (external link)
The best ways would be to either flag or diffuse the window light, or use flash. Since you're working while the place is open, flagging the window may be tough............

What do you mean by "flag the windows"?
I googled the term, but the results I got were not pertinent.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
May 22, 2016 20:34 |  #11

Depending on the power of your flashes, you can expose for the windows and fill in with flash. That will help to either reduce or remove the glare on the floor. Speed light's may not cut it though.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
May 22, 2016 20:59 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18015055 (external link)
What do you mean by "flag the windows"?
I googled the term, but the results I got were not pertinent.

Here is the wikipedia page regarding flags: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Flag_(lighting (external link))

If I'm doing a shoot where I'm pulling out all the stops, I'll bring extra stands that I can attach a large black cloth to, which blocks any unwanted light. Sometimes I'll just use a thin white fabric which allows light to pass through, but diffused.

A lot of interior photographers understand the importance of adding light to fill in dark areas, but it is equally important to understand how and when to block any extra light coming into your shot, especially for errant reflections, and I feel like this practice gets less attention.

pawelgawel
Joined Mar 2011
May 27, 2016 16:07 |  #13

the simple solution is you need to do two separate shots, expose for the windows and expose for the inside, use layers to make the image in PS.
Also why are you shooting at f4? should be much higher for something like this.. more like f11 or 14

5D3 x2 | 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L II | 85 1.2L II | S 50 1.4 ART | S 1.4x | YN600EXRT x3 | Bowens 400RX | Lowepro LOVE :)
flickr (external link)
urban-pixel (external link)

njstacker22
Joined Mar 2014
Hamilton, NJ
Aug 28, 2016 21:40 |  #14

Open a brush and brush in a warmer temperature and match the floor. Quite simple.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

aparis99
Joined Nov 2006
KY
Mar 13, 2017 09:39 |  #15

Since there's not much blue in the image, in LR or CameraRaw, just go down to HSL and pull down the blue saturation.

My Site - www.apimagery.com (external link)
Canon 5DmkIII, Canon 7D, Canon 16-35f4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 ISL II, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Sigma Art 35 f1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 100-400L II, 2x Extender III, 580exII, Think Tank Retro 30 and 40

sponsored links

3,985 views & 4 likes for this thread
What would be the best way to get rid of the blue?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.