Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Accessories
Thread started 22 Apr 2016 (Friday) 15:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is flash the weakness of Sony?

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Apr 22, 2016 15:38 |  #1

I made a plan to build a new portable system based around the a6300. The camera and lenses I have a pretty good handle on, but then I started to look for a hss flash and the only option seems to be nissin. It gets some pretty poor reviews including horror stories of broken flash shoes.

Please someone tell me I have missed something, this looks like a deal breaker.

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,490 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Apr 22, 2016 17:57 |  #2

magwai wrote in post #17981143 (external link)
I made a plan to build a new portable system based around the a6300. The camera and lenses I have a pretty good handle on, but then I started to look for a hss flash and the only option seems to be nissin. It gets some pretty poor reviews including horror stories of broken flash shoes.

Please someone tell me I have missed something, this looks like a deal breaker.

I've read that Godox has a system out now, that should satisfy many. Think Odin works too.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

jdag
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Apr 22, 2016 20:30 |  #3

Do you want/need TTL? If you are OK with manual, look into the Yongnuo YN560 IV flash and the YN560TX transmitter. They are outstanding.

John
flickr (external link)
Body: Fuji X-T2
Lenses: Fuji 18-55 f2.8-4, Fuji 35 f/2
Lighting: Yongnuo YN560IV flashes (2) and YN560TX wireless transmitter

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 22, 2016 23:36 |  #4

Is there a reason that you do not consider the Sony brand flash units?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

magwai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Apr 23, 2016 02:41 as a reply to jdag's post |  #5

I am used to using ttl with Canon. Ideally I would like it.

magwai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Apr 23, 2016 02:44 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #6

Not really. I was googling to find a system that supports HSS and the Sony did not come up. Also I read something about the Sony units overheating.

Please inform me if you have experience that is exactly what I am looking for at this stage. I am ready to pull the trigger I just want to know the issues before spending money.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Apr 23, 2016 09:36 |  #7

Your first need to understand that the term 'HSS' was invented by Canon for what its flashes could do with its dSLR. But Olympus actually INVENTED the concept of flash units which had 'pulsed light emission to mimic a constant light source' back in the early 1980s for its F280 flash -- they simply did not add some fancy marketing moniker to it. My point is that Sony could easily support the feature on their flash, but simply no USE the Canon name 'HSS'.

However, Sony DOES indeed use the term 'HSS' and they show that feature supported in three of their flash units. http://www.sony.net ...i/flash/01_basic/1-5.html (external link)

As for 'overheating' Canon flash units like the 580EX indeed DO OVERHEAT -- someone on POTN posted that he destroyed three 580EXs by failing to observe the Canon warning in the user manual about overheating by not letting the unit cool for a time period. Only after Canon came out with the 580EXII did they add the capability for the flash to force you to slow down by prolonging the recycle time. Aftermarket flash units might or might NOT have such a user-proof feature in them!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Apr 23, 2016 15:35 |  #8

FWIIW, my HVL-43M has done a nice job for me in a limited sample of six events.

I probably like my old Canon 580exii better and it seemed a little more powerful and sturdy (plastic mount is a head-scratcher), but the Sony is smaller/lighter.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

magwai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Apr 24, 2016 07:54 as a reply to mickeyb105's post |  #9

yes i was looking at that model, that might be what i am looking for.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Apr 24, 2016 08:02 |  #10

yes, flash support for Sony is nothing like it is for Canon or Nikon.

third party flash and "trigger" manufacturers only have a certain number of engineers at their disposal. If you look back a few years you will notice that very often they offer Canon compatible flash units before Nikon, and often continue to do so now. Sony support usually comes after Nikon, if it comes at all.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

magwai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Apr 28, 2016 16:36 |  #11

I pulled the trigger.

A6300 and 43m on the way.

Question: coming from Canon flash A and S modes give fill flash and M adjusts the flash strength to get the exposure correct. Is the Sony system similar in that regard? Any pointers appreciated.

sponsored links

2,274 views & 1 like for this thread
Is flash the weakness of Sony?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.