Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 11:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sharing problem-

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Apr 27, 2016 11:46 |  #1

A year or so ago switched to Flickr for sharing or posting images to potn. Sailing along on laptop w/ Win7 and loading directly to Flickr from Lightroom5 to here. Purchased new desktop w/ Win10 and also got LR6 as a bonus.
But now when I try to copy from flickr to potn, problem. I select image in Flickr, click share arrow in lower right and no "BBcode option-get "Share 1 photo to-" and can't even get anything from that page?? Is it Win10, or the way I set up Flickr, or...?
Can anyone decipher my problem? Any help would certainly be appreciated. I am somewhat tech challenged as you can well imagine.

Thank you-

Rog

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 28, 2016 05:36 |  #2

What browser are/were you using?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Apr 28, 2016 06:23 |  #3

I guess w/Win10, the default is MSN Edge. Otherwise, I'm a IE guy.

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Apr 28, 2016 11:51 |  #4

Dan, looked closer, it's Bing. Sorry.

Rog

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Apr 29, 2016 04:21 |  #5

Bing is MS's search engine, it is not a browser. It would be best if you could actually grab a screen shot of what you actually see when you click the share link in Flickr. You should be able to get a screen grab by hitting the Print Screen key, then opening an image editor, Paint will do, and hitting the paste command.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by ardeekay.
Apr 29, 2016 19:34 |  #6

BigAl007 wrote in post #17989105 (external link)
Bing is MS's search engine, it is not a browser. It would be best if you could actually grab a screen shot of what you actually see when you click the share link in Flickr. You should be able to get a screen grab by hitting the Print Screen key, then opening an image editor, Paint will do, and hitting the paste command.

Alan

Alan-I hit Print Screen key but nothing opens. So I am immediately lost-sorry your request is beyond my skill level.:oops:
When I tap the share arrow, a white window opens about 1/2 the total screen area w/ the words "Share 1 photo to:" in upper left corner of this window. Left click produces nothing, right click yields "Select all"
"Print"

Then I am at a deadend. Does this help?

Rog

Rog

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 29, 2016 21:18 |  #7

ardeekay wrote in post #17989918 (external link)
Alan-I hit Print Screen key but nothing opens.

That's right. But the image is on your computer. You just need to paste it as Alan said.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 30, 2016 07:09 |  #8

Yes once you have done the print screen, you then have to open MS Paint, click paste and then click save to save the file to a location on your hard drive. By default Paint will try to save it as a .PNG file, but for this one, of what I get when doing a share from Flickr I chose to change it to a JPEG.

So this is what I get when I click the share icon in Flickr

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I then use Ctrl+C to copy the BB Code, since it is already automatically highlighted you don't need to do anything else first. Then back in the POTN editing box I just use the Ctrl+V Key combination to paste the link. This is what it will look like in the Editor.

[URL=https://flic.kr/p​/FBy56T][IMG]https://f​arm2.staticflickr.com/​1684/26000248693_89e4a​97d28_o.jpg[/IMG][/URL​][URL=https://flic.kr/​p/FBy56T]Gloster Gladiator Mk I, Hawker Demon[/URL] by [URL=https://www.flick​r.com/photos/alan-evans/]Alan Evans[/URL], on Flickr

Note that in the edit box it will probably be broken across three lines. And this is the image that the link will display:

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1684/26000248693_89e4a97d28_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FBy5​6T] (external link)Gloster Gladiator Mk I, Hawker Demon (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

I'm using Chrome as my browser, but it will work the same with any browser you like.

There is also a new tool in Windows, called the Snipping tool, that will allow you to copy bits of what you see on screen. I'm old school, and so still stick with the Prt Scr and Paint option, as I haven't learnt the new tools functions. It's not something that I find that much need for.

Alan

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Apr 30, 2016 07:40 |  #9

ardeekay wrote in post #17987006 (external link)
A year or so ago switched to Flickr for sharing or posting images to potn. Sailing along on laptop w/ Win7 and loading directly to Flickr from Lightroom5 to here. Purchased new desktop w/ Win10 and also got LR6 as a bonus.
But now when I try to copy from flickr to potn, problem. I select image in Flickr, click share arrow in lower right and no "BBcode option-get "Share 1 photo to-" and can't even get anything from that page?? Is it Win10, or the way I set up Flickr, or...?
Can anyone decipher my problem? Any help would certainly be appreciated. I am somewhat tech challenged as you can well imagine.

Thank you-

Rog

You do not have to copy any bbcode from Flickr.

Just copy the FLICKR gallery page URL (e.g. https://www.flickr.com​/photos/alan-evans/26510416222 (external link)) to the POTN post editor field where it says "EMBED IMAGE (?)". (in desktop editor mode, in mobile editor mode it is under "IMAGES -> FROM WEB").

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Then click that "FETCH" button. After a moment a thumbnail appears, click that to insert the image to your post (cursor position).

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Apr 30, 2016 10:25 |  #10

Do not know what happened, but I now get the window w/ the BB code available(as in Alan's post above) that I am familiar with. So all is going good for me at the present.
Thankfully, as I was having trouble following your instructions. I said I was Tech challenged, obviously severely! Took me a half hour to find MS Paint and then nothing followed along. Fetch didn't work either, Pekka.:oops::cry:

As always, POTN members are standing by ready to offer assistance when called upon. But sometimes. we're like a brick wall.

Many thanks for trying so hard to help this "blind man" see how this stuff works. Maybe someday?!? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Rog

Rog

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 30, 2016 12:11 |  #11

Thought I would check this out, so trying out the Embed Image option.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1700/25395189033_ff9f4d64d4_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://www.flickr.com ...5395189033/in/datep​osted/] (external link)
Extra EA300 SC (external link) by Alan Evans (external link) on Flickr

From having the photo open in Flickr not much difference either way speed wise for the user. But then I thought could I use it from the Photostream page, and that is brilliant, as all I needed to do was right click on any of the images in the stream, and select Copy Link Address (in Chrome) and paste that in to the Fetch image, and Bingo.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1667/26653661531_db4c151626_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://www.flickr.com ...6653661531/in/datep​osted/] (external link)
Bristol F2b Fighter (external link) by Alan Evans (external link) on Flickr

Image arrives without having to wait for the full page to open over on Flickr. I guess I might be using this in futuere when putting some of my posts together. Thanks Pekka.

Alan

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Apr 30, 2016 13:05 |  #12

So, residual benefits?:lol: Glad to be of indirect assistance. Again lol.

Rog

sponsored links

3,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sharing problem-
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.