Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 02 May 2016 (Monday) 05:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I may be through buying used gear.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
May 02, 2016 05:58 |  #1

I went over my photo related purchases from 2013 on: 2 new, 7 used. 5 of those used from photo board individuals (one potn) , one from Amazon marketplace, one from a store.

The new items were fine but Only one of the used items was issue /problem free. The store refunded my purchase. The individuals either ignored me or said the issue didn't exist at time of sale.

Now I'm slow to realize things sometimes. I was just beginning to figure it out when the wife cleared it all up for me. Stop buying used equipment.

Maybe she's right.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
May 02, 2016 06:16 |  #2

I've purchased used camera's and lenses and other photographic equipment used on e-bay and occasionally I would get something that has a problem but to be honest I've never had a problem with e-bay buyer protection and in time have always got my money back. In most cases I do not expect a warranty but I do expect the item to be as described and in in working order.

Gear List

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by HoosierJoe.
May 02, 2016 07:15 |  #3

Right, with ebay the item must be as described. I sold most of the items I mentioned on ebay, disclosed everything and let them bid.

It's the photo board transactions (not all potn) that are such a disappointment. I only bought from people who were established on the boards and it didn't seem to matter. One of the lenses I bought was advertised by a poster (not potn) with thousands of posts and many transactions. He listed the lens as 9 out of 10. It turned out to have extremely bad zoom creep which he said wasn't there when he owned the lens. What could I do? And that became the last message board purchase.

My last used purchase was a camera from a reputable dealer. It wouldn't lock focus and they refunded the purchase although the whole process took almost three weeks.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,959 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
May 02, 2016 07:28 |  #4

You got the worst luck ever I guess. I've bought much of my stuff second hand or refurbished and haven't had a problem for the most part. the one issue I had was a 70-200 V1 where some of the barrel screws kept working their way loose. After a while I just sent it to Canon and they took care of it. The 70-200 I have now is perfect, the 100-400 is sharp (selling), the 1.4 extender I just sold was clean and worked right, my 5D2, etc.

I've noticed that some people tend to inspect for every little mark or flaw instead of just using something. I like to buy from those people, but not sure if I'd want to sell to them. Oh you said you saw 3 dust specs, I can clearly see 4!!!

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
May 02, 2016 07:45 |  #5

I don't want to be one of those older guys saying "it never used to be this way", but before 2013 I never had one single issue buying or selling used gear. Could be I just ran into a string of less conscientious sellers.

Nortonski
Joined Oct 2013
Good ole Blighty
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Nortonski.
May 02, 2016 08:18 |  #6

I've seen similar, I tend to look after my gear extremely well, I use it sure, but all my kit's in pretty much mint condition (from my perspective).

I've bought second hand lenses where the previous owners state 9.5/10 in terms of condition yet when it's turned up on my doorstep I'd rate it at no more than 6-7/10 due to damage not shown in their pics, scratches on lense coatings, torn gaskets, creep etc...the sellers just seem to shrug it off, one said 'IMO it's 10/10 enjoy' & another said 'it wasn't like that when it left me, you must've damaged it!'

It appears to be that one persons grading is far removed from anothers...when I see 9-9.5/10 I expect very little sign of use & whilst not quite 'box fresh' pretty damned close to an 'as new' condition...others seem to grade along the lines of 10/10 for a lense that's 5 years old with a few dings & marks & say it's par for the course & therefore their kit deserves such a high grade...

I buy very little used these days having been burnt once too often - clearly it's a case of buyer beware in many cases.

I'm sure that not all sellers are unscrupulous, but I'm afraid, in my case at least, the few 'bad eggs' I've dealt with have left me with a bad taste so these days it takes a little longer to save for new, but I know if I have an issue I have a reputable store to go back to. -?

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
May 02, 2016 08:45 |  #7

I never buy used. I figure there's got to be a reason it's being sold and odds are it's the same reason that I wouldn't want to own it.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
May 02, 2016 10:13 |  #8

joedlh wrote in post #17992860 (external link)
I never buy used. I figure there's got to be a reason it's being sold and odds are it's the same reason that I wouldn't want to own it.

My spouse told you to say that.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
May 03, 2016 02:06 |  #9

I bought a beautiful, like new, shoot-through umbrella that was simply too large for the seller, a Viewsonic monitor from someone looking to upgrade, which fit the bill perfectly for the household computer, a nifty fifty from a wedding shooter who just didn't like it, a 55-250 from someone looking to upgrade. Years later I upgraded to a used 70-200 f4 from someone upgrading which made my perfectly fine 55-250 perfect for a beginner. It's unfortunate that you've had such bad luck. : (

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 03, 2016 02:15 |  #10

I've probably gone through $25,000 worth of Canon gear in 7 years I've been shooting Canon. Yes, I'm a gear slut. I buy used, play for a bit, and sell. I've never gotten a non-working item in all that time. Some folks have odd interpretations of 'excellent condition', but for the most part everything was as described.

Buying used allows me to play with something like a 7D, or 70-200 f/2.8, for the price of postage. I've even sold some things for more than I paid. Had I purchased everything new, I'd be out a truck load of money. Buying used allows me to experiment, and hone my collection to what I want/need without spending a ton of money. If my next purchase is a total dud, PayPal will help. Even if it is a total write-off, I'll still be WAY ahead of buying everything new.

Go ahead and buy new stuff. Guys like me need guys like you. Oh, and thanks.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,220 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
May 03, 2016 05:26 |  #11

Almost everything I have ever owned has been used equipment. Only 2 items had issues, a 30d and a 24-70L. Things like zoom creep is common, and has no effect on the end results. Also you will probably develop that on a new lens. One of the leading causes of people not being happy with used cameras is that the seller didn't reset them back factory specs, nor did the buyer. It can create the appearance of issues, especially if the seller used BBF and the buyer knows nothing about that.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
May 03, 2016 09:20 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #12

Paypal is no help if you buy from an individual.

I'm sure glad that $25000 spent in 7 years is not a ton of money to you.

To each his own.

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
May 03, 2016 09:25 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #13

I handled the lens creep issue with lens bands. Doesn't discount that the sellers were dishonest.

All of my DSLR equipment is gone now, replace by a couple of bridge cameras and a flash unit. I have no more plans for a lot of equipment so I believe I will stick to my course of buy only new.

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
May 03, 2016 09:29 |  #14

I bought my panasonic gx8 used at adorama..it was in like new condition.. no issues
Bought a couple of refurbished lens dir3ct from canon .. no issues.
I'm alot more hesitant to buy from an individual,

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
May 03, 2016 09:35 |  #15

I've only bought two used camera items, Canon L lenses. I purchased them through LensRentals/LensAuthor​ity. Typically I don't like "used", and I especially don't like "refurbished", the latter being hit or miss, and for me mostly miss. The two lenses were as described, and have been great. One of the lenses has taken nearly 22,000 photos, and the other around 4,000. The savings on those lenses were probably at the limit of real savings.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

sponsored links

4,845 views & 7 likes for this thread
I may be through buying used gear.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.