Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Apr 2016 (Thursday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking cameras and equipment on a flight?

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Apr 20, 2016 14:02 |  #31

Italy is one of the worst places in Europe for petty theft and pickpockets, you would be foolish not to insure your gear at least for that one trip.. I have all risk insurance on all my gear and it covers for worldwide travel and accidental damage....
Insurance may be expensive but it's more expensive to replace all your gear should anything happen.

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

sponsored links
JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 20, 2016 14:33 |  #32

Charlie wrote in post #17978590 (external link)
is it really all that different for international flights? honest question.

Ryanair (which the OP is flying) is the super budget carrier in Europe, similar to Spirit in the US. All bets are off as it comes to what you can or can't carry on. Many of these planes are only 2 or 3 seats wide, so the overhead bins won't accommodate much more than a sweatshirt or purse. You should come prepared to check anything / everything, and be charged accordingly with a carrier like Ryanair.

I would highly suggest a Pelican case, the 1510 is US carry-on sized. If you do get a puddle jumper plane that has effectively no overhead space, at least you can trust that the Pelican case is your best bet for the gear to get there safely.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 20, 2016 14:44 |  #33

Thanks again for the responses folks.

Main thing I've learned is to take my important stuff as carry on. According to the airline

"You can carry one cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 onboard the aircraft."

So as I'm now only taking 2 bodies max my main walk around gig bag will fit the bill. I can also potentially put a lens or so in my pocket too if required. My actual luggage will just be a few changes of clothes so a lightweight tripod can go with that if needs be.

I'm only there for 4 days or so, 3 venues and a radio interview. Also the band's manager and the band we are meeting over there have local contacts who they have used before to transport us around. My camera bag won't leave my side ( same as when I shoot medium or small venues locally ) and the rest of the time we will be in a 12 seater mini van that is hired for the tour. So I'm not worried about insurance against theft etc as I don't see that being an issue.

My main worry was being able to do shots on the plane and how to transport my equipment, so thanks again folks for the responses :-)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,074 posts
Gallery: 178 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 20, 2016 15:46 |  #34

PMGphotog wrote in post #17978679 (external link)
Thanks again for the responses folks.

Main thing I've learned is to take my important stuff as carry on. According to the airline

"You can carry one cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 onboard the aircraft."

So as I'm now only taking 2 bodies max my main walk around gig bag will fit the bill. I can also potentially put a lens or so in my pocket too if required. My actual luggage will just be a few changes of clothes so a lightweight tripod can go with that if needs be.

I'm only there for 4 days or so, 3 venues and a radio interview. Also the band's manager and the band we are meeting over there have local contacts who they have used before to transport us around. My camera bag won't leave my side ( same as when I shoot medium or small venues locally ) and the rest of the time we will be in a 12 seater mini van that is hired for the tour. So I'm not worried about insurance against theft etc as I don't see that being an issue.

My main worry was being able to do shots on the plane and how to transport my equipment, so thanks again folks for the responses :-)

Cool, sounds like a good plan. :-)

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 03, 2016 12:42 |  #35

Just to update the thread. Thanks for all the replies. I'd never flew before never mind taking camera so it was great to get some information here.

It all worked out fine. Travelled light so I had my camera gear in one bag and my clothes in another with no issues at all using the overhead storage on the plane. I took a lightweight tripod which came in handy for video stuff and just 2 cameras and 4 lenses.

We had a 9 seater van to tour in and made sure we parked it in secure areas while we were on foot. Arrived at Pisa airport then picked up the van and went to see the tower. We parked near a student area for 2 hours or so with no issues at all (but my camera bag was always on me and never left in the van with the band's gear.) The rest of the tour took in Barbaresco which was our first stop so the band's manager could hook up with local friends. Lovely place with no issues about crime. Then Gattorna, Genoa, San Torenze, Genoa, then Atina. On the last day we drove to Rome to fly back to Scotland ( the traffic near Rome is like the Daytona 500, just on the Freeway/Motorway :-) )

I would say that Pisa was more risky as their are a lot of tourists around so it may have attracted some dodgy types. But there were 9 of us all looking out for each other and lots of Police around.

All in all it was a fantastic trip, no issues using my DSLR on the flight when the seatbelt light was off ( just filming the bands and not intruding on other passengers.) No issues with locals in the places we visited either.

Several people posted about using common sense and that was the key thing I think if you travel anywhere. My camera was only visible when I was using it, and in my camera bag crossed strapped across my shoulders when not.

Thanks again for the replies folks :-)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,074 posts
Gallery: 178 photos
Joined May 2008

May 03, 2016 12:50 |  #36

PMGphotog wrote in post #17994570 (external link)
Just to update the thread. Thanks for all the replies. I'd never flew before never mind taking camera so it was great to get some information here.

It all worked out fine. Travelled light so I had my camera gear in one bag and my clothes in another with no issues at all using the overhead storage on the plane. I took a lightweight tripod which came in handy for video stuff and just 2 cameras and 4 lenses.

We had a 9 seater van to tour in and made sure we parked it in secure areas while we were on foot. Arrived at Pisa airport then picked up the van and went to see the tower. We parked near a student area for 2 hours or so with no issues at all (but my camera bag was always on me and never left in the van with the band's gear.) The rest of the tour took in Barbaresco which was our first stop so the band's manager could hook up with local friends. Lovely place with no issues about crime. Then Gattorna, Genoa, San Torenze, Genoa, then Atina. On the last day we drove to Rome to fly back to Scotland ( the traffic near Rome is like the Daytona 500, just on the Freeway/Motorway :-) )

I would say that Pisa was more risky as their are a lot of tourists around so it may have attracted some dodgy types. But there were 9 of us all looking out for each other and lots of Police around.

All in all it was a fantastic trip, no issues using my DSLR on the flight when the seatbelt light was off ( just filming the bands and not intruding on other passengers.) No issues with locals in the places we visited either.

Several people posted about using common sense and that was the key thing I think if you travel anywhere. My camera was only visible when I was using it, and in my camera bag crossed strapped across my shoulders when not.

Thanks again for the replies folks :-)

Thanks for the report and glad it went well. Actually it sounds like it was perfect.

Maybe good preparations help to make a successful trip.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 03, 2016 13:00 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #37

That's true. I was perhaps over worried, but I prefer to have a plan to work to rather than just wing it when I get there. I might actually travel with slightly more equipment next time, but apply the same common sense rules as before.

MattDeus
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2016

May 06, 2016 03:05 |  #38

My camera bag weighs up to 16kg (two bodies, 4 flashes, around 6 lenses). TOUCH WOOD I have never been asked to weigh my carry on. I've had people check in in front of me and behind me who've been asked but for some reason I have been overlooked. I think the trick is to carry it on your back, they are less likely to think it's heavy that way.

I also have a rolled up vest with multiple deep pockets so if I was ever asked to check in my equipment, I would unpack my carry-on until I reached the weight limit and literally 'wear' the rest of my gear.

Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) |500px (external link)
Love Your Work!

Alexander ­ J.E. ­ Bradley
41 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined May 2016

May 06, 2016 06:11 |  #39

I would be careful about taking a tripod or monopod in carry on. I have had mine removed from my luggage before because it was a weapon. I would have gone back and put it in my luggage, but that was already though the shoot. Thankfully I had a friend at the same airport taking a flight an hour later, so I gave it to her to check in and got it back from her later. Was a close call to loose a 200€ monopod.

Also be ready to be inspected at every machine. I always get inspected so I made sure that I have enough time to go through and not miss my flight. I also watch the staff very carefully and try to open it myself, which they won't always allow. Be assertive and make sure they don't mishandle any of your equipment. If you think they have, get their name and number in the case you need to make a claim against them in the future.

I wrote a blog post about travelling where I talk about what lens to bring, and then a little more about the security process, you might find it useful. http://www.aperturetou​rs.com …4/what-lens-should-i-pack (external link)

sponsored links

5,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking cameras and equipment on a flight?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.