Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 May 2016 (Saturday) 10:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

High mileage 1dx. Would you buy it?

hkim1389
35 posts
Joined Sep 2011
May 07, 2016 10:59 |  #1

Hi all.

In my local camera shop, i saw a used 1dx selling for $2500.

It was not excellent shape, but I can rate it 8/10.

All accessories are in box and rubbers are all clean and tight.

The store owner told me that it was sent a canon for check and clean and came with clean bill.

But, the shutter was almost 400,000 clicks.

I've never used a flagship body and really have no idea it's still reliable and OK to take the deal.

I know canon rates it good up to 400,000 clicks but saw many people shot more than that. Not only concerning high shutter but also considering other parts as well.

It was very tempting since used 1dx price sets around $3200~$3500.

I just want to ask to people that what would you do, considering that you are not a canon CPS member.

Just want to hear honest opinion for it. If it's not worth it,

Canon 5D + 50.8

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
May 07, 2016 11:14 |  #2

Prices in the UK for a used 1dx is much higher than that in America. To me $2500 (£1730) is an incredible price. However, I could not buy a camera body with that amount of shutter activations as I cannot have a camera fail on me. I'd be concerned that I will be out and about and it will let me down. I would sooner pay more and look for another body with no more than 150-200,000 activations. I have no idea how much Canon will charge for a replacement shutter but whatever the costs I would not want the inconvenience..

Gear List

TMaG82
956 posts
Joined Jun 2008
May 07, 2016 11:52 |  #3

It seems that the cost for a shutter replacement is around $350-400 if I'm not mistaken, so assuming everything else is ok, might be worth it. Though if it were my only body not sure since I wouldn't want to be without a body for whoever knows how long.

Current Gear: Nadda

jay125
Monkey Shoulder
Joined Dec 2010
May 08, 2016 19:16 |  #4

TMaG82 wrote in post #17998818 (external link)
It seems that the cost for a shutter replacement is around $350-400 if I'm not mistaken, so assuming everything else is ok, might be worth it. Though if it were my only body not sure since I wouldn't want to be without a body for whoever knows how long.

+1 on this. Shutter replacements are pretty affordable compared to the price of the body.

gear
feedback

500px.com (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,604 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
May 08, 2016 22:02 |  #5

Decent price, but should be a little lower given the usage. First thing I would do is call a Canon USA service center and ask how much a shutter replacement would be for a 1DX and don't forget to inquire about shipping costs with insurance. Assuming the total is $400 or less, I would then offer the camera shop $2,200. Otherwise, you can/will be able to get a used 1DX here on POTN with far less mileage for around $2,800 to $3,100.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

1,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
High mileage 1dx. Would you buy it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.