Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

aehric
Joined Jul 2015
Asheville, NC, USA
May 08, 2016 10:05 as a reply to post 17999760 |  #451

Yep. One more differentiation from their cinema line of cameras.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 1D X Mark II | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 8-15mm f/4L USM | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT

sponsored links
wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 08, 2016 10:15 |  #452

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17999625 (external link)
Very interesting. I've not considered jpg for a looooooooong time. Might be time to rethink that.

When I look at the noise in this pic I'm not offended at all, which is to say I wasn't so motivated by it to
apply any denoising routies. Is this the 'pleasant' film grain look some talk about?

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2x III
ƒ/8.0 800.0 mm 1/1000 6400 Flash (off, did not fire)

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GxW9​MW] (external link)Another Towhee (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

I downloaded your large jpeg. I also have played with lots of 1Dx II files so far. With a very small amount of NR at 6400 (i.e. 15 luminance at 6400, 20 at 12,800 and 25 at 25,500 - i.e. no where near what the in camera jpg engine does) and then 50 Masking, you can get rid of all the 'film' grain with virtually no loss at all of detail (if you want that smooth bokeh look).

I am going to do a lot of experimenting with the fine detail jpeg profile as the 3 subsections of the Sharpening I think will allow you to get most of this doen in camera for those that want to give jpegs a go. There is also a huge difference if you drop the in camera setting from standard to low for high ISO noise reduction for jpegs. I think somewhere using low and the fine detail jpeg and moving the sliders around should clean up 6400-25,600 ISOs without giving them that plastic look.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 08, 2016 11:06 |  #453

Another puffin picture. Trying out LR until Apple provide native raw support.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 08, 2016 11:24 |  #454

tonyxcom wrote in post #17999746 (external link)
I guess I just see the CF slot as the bottleneck in the system. It's like buying a sports car but one of the tires is the spare so you can only do 55. I haven't read the video section of the manual either so I don't know if the options to write to both cards exists.

That maybe the case. Using your analogy, the 1DX sports car used to go 45mph but you never went that fast. Now the 1DX2 (w/ CF) goes 55mph, but you've yet to drive 45mph so that's not a real world issue/problem for you. It's only "crippling" when it comes to bragging rights.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 08, 2016 12:08 |  #455

Going through and culling files

6400 ISO on this new body looks like 1000 ISO on a 5D3...really amazed at how clean the files are...probably done with One shot and the Beep as well.......OMG....Serv​o does not miss at all....engage, let the camera do the rest....It is REALLY amazing what they have done with servo.... i slowed everything down in the servo settings to -1 and the camera Tracks unbelievably good and it is extremely responsive......Notice​able improvement over the 1Dx1 that I had with me

Going out this week to get some decent wildlife shots to post

Camera is rock solid

THAT SAID

Mine might be going back for a replacement Monday. The grid for the viewfinder will not turn on. I know its not pilot error because I have the current 1Dx1 with me and I can engage and disengage on that body. Will call CPS first thing Monday morning

Please check your 1Dx2's and see if you can turn of grid views in your viewfinders....Mine is not working

also had some problems in AV mode and auto ISO with a flash on the body....auto ISO did not work..shutter speeds would not stay at 125 minimum i had assigned.....might be pilot error on that....not 100% sure yet.... So I will check as well.... Im pretty familiar with Canon custom functions but will get opinions from CPS and report back

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

aehric
Joined Jul 2015
Asheville, NC, USA
May 08, 2016 12:16 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #456

My grid is working as it should. Turns on and off just fine.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 1D X Mark II | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 8-15mm f/4L USM | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT

jdavis37
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008
May 08, 2016 12:17 |  #457

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17999407 (external link)
'while I am still young enough to hold it!' SMART.....won't be long and I'll be all in for micro 4/3s :)

Always the phone cameras :) In all truthfulness moving forward now (age 53) is partially based upon do it while you can. I groaned when I purchased the 500F4 and once the nausea passed it has been bliss. I don't find my 5D3 + grip to feel large at all so the DX2 should fit well. But doggonit this sure does make the delayed gratification part more difficult!!

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Scott_online.
May 08, 2016 12:20 |  #458

umphotography wrote in post #17999904 (external link)
Going through and culling files

6400 ISO on this new body looks like 1000 ISO on a 5D3...really amazed at how clean the files are...probably done with One shot and the Beep as well.......OMG....Serv​o does not miss at all....engage, let the camera do the rest....It is REALLY amazing what they have done with servo.... i slowed everything down in the servo settings to -1 and the camera Tracks unbelievably good and it is extremely responsive......Notice​able improvement over the 1Dx1 that I had with me

Going out this week to get some decent wildlife shots to post

Camera is rock solid

THAT SAID

Mine might be going back for a replacement Monday. The grid for the viewfinder will not turn on. I know its not pilot error because I have the current 1Dx1 with me and I can engage and disengage on that body. Will call CPS first thing Monday morning

Please check your 1Dx2's and see if you can turn of grid views in your viewfinders....Mine is not working

also had some problems in AV mode and auto ISO with a flash on the body....auto ISO did not work..shutter speeds would not stay at 125 minimum i had assigned.....might be pilot error on that....not 100% sure yet.... So I will check as well.... Im pretty familiar with Canon custom functions but will get opinions from CPS and report back

Some settings are linked to mode (i.e. P/A/S/M/C1/etc); some aren't. You might find that the grid display has been enabled in one mode but not another. It definitely works on mine. Same with the min. shutter speed - that also might be mode specific.

flickr (external link)

jdavis37
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008
May 08, 2016 12:25 |  #459

robamy wrote in post #17999701 (external link)
If interested here is a 4k screen grab. Just awesome :-)

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/G3Fk​ZJ] (external link)4k screen grab (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

Very nice grab... shows good potential for using 4K video to capture stills otherwise missed. Very nice image though. Very cute little guys. Thanks for sharing. Making it more and more difficult for me to wait :)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 08, 2016 12:28 |  #460

Scott_online wrote in post #17999914 (external link)
Some settings are linked to mode (i.e. P/A/S/M/C1/etc); some aren't. You might find that the grid display has been enabled in one mode but not another. It definitely works on mine. Same with the min. shutter speed - that also might be mode specific.

Thats why im going to call CPS first thing Monday. I love the grid on because I hand hold a ton

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Scott_online.
May 08, 2016 12:33 |  #461

umphotography wrote in post #17999923 (external link)
Thats why im going to call CPS first thing Monday. I love the grid on because I hand hold a ton

I mean you might have enabled it one mode but not the other.

I'd need to go and look at the camera to remind myself of the exact menu option but another example is the custom controls. I always disable the focus on the front button - but I have to do this in every mode because each mode allows you to have a different set of custom controls.

flickr (external link)

tonyxcom
Joined Jul 2008
Vallejo CA
May 08, 2016 12:36 |  #462

jwcdds wrote in post #17999852 (external link)
That maybe the case. Using your analogy, the 1DX sports car used to go 45mph but you never went that fast. Now the 1DX2 (w/ CF) goes 55mph, but you've yet to drive 45mph so that's not a real world issue/problem for you. It's only "crippling" when it comes to bragging rights.

I don't think its bragging rights at all. Just because I haven't hit the buffer doesn't mean I never will. It's the same reason we all clamor for better High ISO performance; because we are raising the performance roof of the camera even though we won't shoot at 51,200 all the time. It's the same reason we want F2.8 or faster lenses even though we won't shoot wide open all the time.

It's just a matter of always having more than you need because you only need something if you don't have it. My 1DX2 will be here tomorrow, so its about as far from a make or break for me. I would classify this as a nitpick, not even a gripe or a rant. I just think it would have been that much better of a camera if it was dual CFast.

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

tonyxcom
Joined Jul 2008
Vallejo CA
May 08, 2016 12:38 |  #463

umphotography wrote in post #17999904 (external link)
OMG....Servo does not miss at all....engage, let the camera do the rest....It is REALLY amazing what they have done with servo.... i slowed everything down in the servo settings to -1 and the camera Tracks unbelievably good and it is extremely responsive......Notice​able improvement over the 1Dx1 that I had with me

What AF point mode?

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 08, 2016 12:39 |  #464

umphotography wrote in post #17999923 (external link)

Just to check (redundancy) before you make the call and send it back. This is the menu area where you get to turn on the Grid in viewfinder. You got all this enabled and still no grid in VF?

Just double checking. :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

OoF
Joined May 2010
May 08, 2016 12:54 |  #465

Time to make some contributions :)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7707/26290275963_fc3f4cf546_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/G4bx​74] (external link)~ U n I ~ (external link) by Nitin Dangwal (external link), on Flickr

ND
Օ (external link)| 5px (external link)| f (external link)

sponsored links

932,401 views & 12006 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.