Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

jlt23
404 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
May 08, 2016 14:49 |  #466

Just placed my order today. It will be my first 1D series body. Can't wait.

James

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 08, 2016 16:07 |  #467

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/My-Precious-Abigail/i-KbKdQjz/0/XL/20160508-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20141-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/My-Precious-Abigail/i-RLss4Bp/0/XL/20160508-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20185-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/Alexander/i-XhMTw6N/0/XL/20160508-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20160-XL.jpg

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
May 08, 2016 16:23 |  #468

Detail test, macro at ISO 12,8K, no flash of course.
1DXii + extension tube + EOS 100mm L Macro
I know its a crap macro but does give an idea of what can be done.
I really didn't need to shoot at 12,8K

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 08, 2016 16:34 |  #469

jwcdds wrote in post #17999937 (external link)
Just to check (redundancy) before you make the call and send it back. This is the menu area where you get to turn on the Grid in viewfinder. You got all this enabled and still no grid in VF?

Just double checking. :)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by jwcdds in
./showthread.php?p=179​99937&i=i232499088
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by jwcdds in
./showthread.php?p=179​99937&i=i196037155
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Julian

This one works. Its the other one when im looking into eye piece of camera. The grid for that wont turn on. It does on 1Dx1

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

xhosa12
Joined Dec 2008
May 08, 2016 16:46 as a reply to post 17999904 |  #470

I got the 1DX II two days ago and have the same problem......my grid is not working too.
I also have the 1DX mark 1 and able to turn that on and off.

Unless there is an additional switch.

Otherwise an awesome camera especially for wildlife....my interest.

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
Joined Jun 2009
San Jose, CA
May 08, 2016 16:48 |  #471

umphotography wrote in post #18000183 (external link)
Julian

This one works. Its the other one when im looking into eye piece of camera. The grid for that wont turn on. It does on 1Dx1

xhosa12 wrote in post #18000192 (external link)
I got the 1DX II two days ago and have the same problem......my grid is not working too.
I also have the 1DX mark 1 and able to turn that on and off.

Unless there is an additional switch.

Otherwise an awesome camera especially for wildlife....my interest.

I'm feeling a firmware update on the horizon... :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.comexternal link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 08, 2016 17:07 |  #472

Julian

Hm.. isn't it pretty much the same grid except lines across across the screen vs. no lines across?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by umphotography.
May 08, 2016 17:10 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #473

No One shows in viewfinder when you are looking at image

The other shows in eye piece when your taking the shot. I like having it engaged especially for landscape and buildings. Easy Easy to line things up

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 08, 2016 17:11 |  #474

Julian

I'm confused. The menu screenshots Julian posted were to turn on the grid in the optical viewfinder. When you say this one works, what is it turning on?

The Live View (LCD) grid is enabled via the SHOOT4 menu.

What version of firmware is your camera running?

flickr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by jwcdds.
May 08, 2016 17:12 |  #475

umphotography wrote in post #18000226 (external link)
No One shows in viewfinder when you are looking at image

The other shows in eye piece when your taking the shot. I like having it engaged especially for landscape and buildings. Easy Easy to line things up

I know. This one shows in VF all the time. There's another grid option under playback. That one I have disabled as I don't care to see the grid when reviewing images.

There's also a live view grid and I have that disabled/off as well.

Julian

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 08, 2016 17:22 |  #476

I will call canon

The 1Dx1 that I have sitting next to it works perfectly and I basically took the settings I have been using on it and transferred to the new body. Maybe I turned something on. I have no clue right now. I reset all settings at it still did not work. So I set it back up for yesterday.

Im sure they will figure it out. hate to send it back but im in B&H 10 day window

Hopefully i screwed up

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 08, 2016 17:34 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #477

The settings are different. On the 1DX1 you could enable the viewfinder grid from the top level menu. On the 1DX2 you have to go one menu level deeper because there are multiple viewfinder display options (level, grid, icons, etc). You can show or hide these on an individual basis. Can you get the electronic level to show in the viewfinder?

If you can see any of the black overlays in the viewfinder then that would suggest that your hardware is fine.

flickr (external link)

Luxx
466 posts
Joined Jan 2013
St Louis
May 08, 2016 17:47 |  #478

So I saw earlier in the thread people saying that the 1dx2 is 1 stop better than 1dx and 2 stops better than 6d and 5d3 for Noise at high ISO. Any others agree or disagree.

Mostly I hope that it means that 5div or 6dii will be similarly better over their predecessors. A couple stops would be great in dark gyms and churches

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 08, 2016 17:55 |  #479

Luxx wrote in post #18000264 (external link)
So I saw earlier in the thread people saying that the 1dx2 is 1 stop better than 1dx and 2 stops better than 6d and 5d3 for Noise at high ISO. Any others agree or disagree.

Mostly I hope that it means that 5div or 6dii will be similarly better over their predecessors. A couple stops would be great in dark gyms and churches

JPG maybe. I think RAW, it's 1-stop at best up to 12800. After that, my opinion is that the noise level is a wash from 25600 up. That's what my personal tests show me thus far but this is using Lightroom and not DPP. Maybe DPP handles the noise profile better somehow since it is made by Canon.

Assuming Canon is moving full speed with the on-board ADC, I think the most significant improvements 5D4 and 6D2 can look forward to are cleaner blacks/shadows. More dynamic range at iso 100. And the dual-pixel sensor will make live-view focus and video AF much more accurate/responsive. The high ISO doesn't seem to be improved by onboard ADC.

Julian

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
Joined Jun 2009
San Jose, CA
May 08, 2016 17:56 |  #480

umphotography wrote in post #18000238 (external link)
I will call canon

[...]

Im sure they will figure it out.

I'm sure they will.

I checked and I am seeing the grid through the viewfinder as well as in live view.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.comexternal link

sponsored links

934,368 views & 12008 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.